Running Puppy (from HD) with 32 MB RAM

Using applications, configuring, problems
OzzyBB

P-1 UPDATE

#21 Post by OzzyBB »

Hello all,

I just gave it yet another shot at configuring Puppy in my P-1.

It turned out it did recognize my network card. Last time I tried, the DHCP server (in my office ADSL modem) was down, so it kept rejecting my configuration attempts, even manually. So today, I made sure every hub, switch and the ADSL box were all operating before making Puppy test the network card in my P-1 computer. It ran fine, to the point I could open a PDF file from another computer! It was slow, but it worked.

As for the sound issue, my P-1 has a SoundBlaster 16 sound card. It seems the system doesn't recognize it. Plus, Xine takes forever to load an MP3 file... I'm beginning to think about giving it another 32 MB RAM. I'm sure it'll give it a serious boost!

Also, the P-II machine still gives me no sound with Puppy. I may have mentioned it has an Aztech 2320 sound chip (as reported by Windows 98). I've read somewhere there's no ALSA system yet for Puppy. What's the latest on this regard?

PeterSieg

Soundblaster 16 - try 'modprobe sb' ...

#22 Post by PeterSieg »

Hi.

Soundblaster 16 - try 'modprobe sb' ...

PS
Have fun :)

kcin

#23 Post by kcin »

Hello,

I'm reading this thread for the first time... just a thought about this idea:
The idea I have is making a well organized and feature rich Puppy. Then make a partition magic image of the partition. Copy the image to CD.

After that I can set up Puppy to hard drive in MS-DOS mode using the DOS version of Partition Magic and Drive Image.

With these procedures and the right software, I should be able to set up and old computer with Puppy in DOS mode in hour or less, if I don't have snags.
... it sounds great, but... wouldn't creating an image like that have the unwanted side effect of ...when you go to install it on another machine... bypassing the hardware detection routines? It seems like it could be problematic (unless the target system was identical in all hardware) because the imaged Puppy would still think it was on the machine it was initially configured for... wouldn't it? And I'm afraid that if the video card, NIC, and/or modem ... or other hardware... were different, then it wouldn't work.

Or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

I guess it couldn't hurt to try though...

Best regards,

kcin