Puppy's Website: Discussion

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Caneri

#141 Post by Caneri »

@klu9,

brilliant idea.

Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

tombh

#142 Post by tombh »

Okey Dokey, I've uploaded the proto-site to its new Hostgator home.

I decided to go with Drupal 5.7 as there are some necessary modules that have not yet been ported to version 6. There is no loss of security by doing this as Drupal supports the current version and previous whole number version concurrently. Drupal 7 is planned for release in 2009.

Now we can discuss the ins and outs of style and structure over at the Puppy Website: Looks, Bugs, Wishlists thread. I've made few comments there to get things going...

Time to get down to business then :)

nic2109

#143 Post by nic2109 »

Caneri wrote:@klu9,

brilliant idea.

Eric
Since it's still Easter in the Christian calendar I'll also say "Amen" to that suggestion.

BitTorrent and/or Metalinks should be the way all our packages are presented. In this way the bandwidth requirements are shared among a much wider population. And we gain from the amazing Torrent paradox that the more popular a download is the more available it is and the quicker it comes (subject to connection speed, of course).

Baseline Puppy and all Puplets need to be set up to seed as well as read so that way anyone who has D/Ld a package or an iso can share it with the rest of us.

I know that some will worry about security and choose to be leeches, but they would need to take explicit "Opt out" action. I hope that the number that take that option would be small. I also recognise that those on dial-up might also want to opt-out. That's fair enough, but as they would benefit from the Torrent approach too some may choose to seed.
[color=darkblue][b][size=150]Nick[/size][/b][/color]

Aitch

#144 Post by Aitch »

nic2109

#145 Post by nic2109 »

Caneri wrote:Hi Warren and all,

Well shiver me timbers and blow me down...thar she blows.(This is for Tom as he lives where the pirates came from..lol..coorrr)

Well done gentlemen.

Best,
Eric
In honour of this welcome development I propose that we all talk (and write) like pirates for a while.

See http://www.talklikeapirate.com/ but let's not wait until September 19th!

SirDuncan

#146 Post by SirDuncan »

<pirate>
nic2109 wrote:BitTorrent and/or Metalinks should be the way all our packages are presented.
(emphasis mine)
Thus preventin' them o' us in locations 'ere P2P connections be restricted (or outright banned in th' case o' me college) from enjoyin' this great distro. I think that metalinks might be a problem as well, since they be pulling from P2P networks, too, if'n I understand correctly.
nic2109 wrote:Baseline Puppy and all Puplets need to be set up to seed as well as read so that way anyone who has D/Ld a package or an iso can share it with the rest of us.

I know that some will worry about security and choose to be leeches, but they would need to take explicit "Opt out" action. I hope that the number that take that option would be small. I also recognise that those on dial-up might also want to opt-out. That's fair enough, but as they would benefit from the Torrent approach too some may choose to seed.
Gi'en that a large percentage o' Puppy users be on dial-up or otherwise slow uploadin' connections (like Barry on satellite), I think havin' this be th' default behavior be a bad idee. If we be t' go t' a torrent based distribution system, 't would need t' seed only on request (which makes this system work less efficiently) an' nay open a P2P connection without informin' th' user. Otherwise swabbies who dasn't reckon how we be doin' things will get the'r bandwidth exceeded or they will get the'r computer banned from a shared network (like th' one on me campus).

This be nay t' say that distributin' ISOs or other large packages (SFS) through torrents or metalinks be a bad idee. 't jus' needs t' be an alternative an' nay th' only way.

I dasn't think that normal sized packages ortin' ta be distributed on P2P networks, on accoun' o' I think that 't would actually slow things down fer most swabbies an' may cause some swabbies issues. Be havin' ye erenoticed that wee things like songs be nay distributed that way? Bit torrent be very efficient fer large files, but nay wee ones. Thar be also th' technical challenge o' buildin' a torrent based package management system (might be a fun challenge tho).
</pirate>
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

klu9

#147 Post by klu9 »

SirDuncan wrote:<pirate>
nic2109 wrote:BitTorrent and/or Metalinks should be the way all our packages are presented.
(emphasis mine)
Thus preventin' them o' us in locations 'ere P2P connections be restricted (or outright banned in th' case o' me college) from enjoyin' this great distro. I think that metalinks might be a problem as well, since they be pulling from P2P networks, too, if'n I understand correctly.
nic2109 wrote:Baseline Puppy and all Puplets need to be set up to seed as well as read so that way anyone who has D/Ld a package or an iso can share it with the rest of us.

Gi'en that a large percentage o' Puppy users be on dial-up or otherwise slow uploadin' connections (like Barry on satellite), I think havin' this be th' default behavior be a bad idee. If we be t' go t' a torrent based distribution system, 't would need t' seed only on request (which makes this system work less efficiently) an' nay open a P2P connection without informin' th' user. Otherwise swabbies who dasn't reckon how we be doin' things will get the'r bandwidth exceeded or they will get the'r computer banned from a shared network (like th' one on me campus).

This be nay t' say that distributin' ISOs or other large packages (SFS) through torrents or metalinks be a bad idee. 't jus' needs t' be an alternative an' nay th' only way.

I dasn't think that normal sized packages ortin' ta be distributed on P2P networks, on accoun' o' I think that 't would actually slow things down fer most swabbies an' may cause some swabbies issues. Be havin' ye erenoticed that wee things like songs be nay distributed that way? Bit torrent be very efficient fer large files, but nay wee ones. Thar be also th' technical challenge o' buildin' a torrent based package management system (might be a fun challenge tho).
</pirate>
BitTorrent is P2P and is subject to blocking or throttling in some locations. Let me just say that I think it should be a well-supported option of several, not the only possibility.

Metalinks can include P2P URIs, but most clients only support regular HTTP/FTP URLs. (And so far I've only ever created Metalinks containing URLs.)
What might be blocked re metalinks is the P2P traffic/protocol of a p2p-containing metalink used by a p2p-enabled client, but not the HTTP/FTP traffic of the metalink. so a user can still get the file.

PS Please assume all the above was said in a pirate accent :D
[size=75]- Remember: it's a [url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyLinuxMainPage]wiki[/url]. You can contribute too! :D
- Puplet creators, see [url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/DistributingYourPuplet]DistributingYourPuplet[/url][/size]

Aitch

#148 Post by Aitch »

Oooaah me 'arties
mebee kenny's post'll cum use'll arter awl

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &t=10159//

diddle it do do, diddle iddle iddle do
Attachments
arg-h-5O-tr.gif
(21.98 KiB) Downloaded 608 times

Caneri

#149 Post by Caneri »

(Pirate)
arrrr me bucko's and me deadlamp is atwitter..arrrr

thar's a lost sea me hearties..it's the code I see that's a quizzle.

Speak in the tongue of the sea horde and ye shall be heard..arrrr

Best,
Commodore Drake the Black Arse

(English)

My eyes are sore but I see a need to translate from pirate to English,arrrr

Best,
Eric

PS.. @Nick good link this http://www.talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

SirDuncan

#150 Post by SirDuncan »

klu9 wrote:BitTorrent is P2P and is subject to blocking or throttling in some locations.
I suppose that pirate-speak may be hindering communication, but I never meant to insinuate that BitTorrent was not P2P.
klu9 wrote:Let me just say that I think it should be a well-supported option of several, not the only possibility.
I can agree with that.
klu9 wrote:Metalinks can include P2P URIs, but most clients only support regular HTTP/FTP URLs. (And so far I've only ever created Metalinks containing URLs.)
What might be blocked re metalinks is the P2P traffic/protocol of a p2p-containing metalink used by a p2p-enabled client, but not the HTTP/FTP traffic of the metalink. so a user can still get the file.
That makes me feel better about metalinks (I honestly don't know much about them).

Oh, right, pirate-talk . . . ummm . . . Yarr!!!!
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

oblivious

#151 Post by oblivious »

I don't know what anybody's talking about, but if you want regular people to have access to the downloads (if that's what you are even talking about), you need to make them normal http/ftp. Believe it or not, some people don't know what bittorrent, metalink, p2p are. (and don't want to find out.)

EDIT: Why does the protosite "look up" slfea.org and "get data" from success-and-career.ch? What's that all about?

tombh

#152 Post by tombh »

oblivious wrote:EDIT: Why does the protosite "look up" slfea.org and "get data" from success-and-career.ch? What's that all about?
I'd seen that myself and did make me worry for a moment, what with all the virus and hacking that Puppy's websites are used to. Then I remembered that I'd got those tiny little flag images in the banner from random places in Google Images. Basically the images aren't stored on the server and are fetched from different sites all over the world, thus the reason for strange server addresses appearing whilst pages load. Naturally, I will be changing this by using LOF's recommendations of formal flag sets.
nic2109 wrote: In honour of this welcome development I propose that we all talk (and write) like pirates for a while.
Garr! Be fair time me land-lubbers, batten down thar hatches, hoist thar main sail, thar's a storm a-brewing port-side 'n' it's our call to plunder ney those merry winds ;)

oblivious

#153 Post by oblivious »

Basically the images aren't stored on the server and are fetched from different sites all over the world
Well, I hope they are from "non-dodgy" places - why they have "look up" rather than just load seems strange, and it sat there for an inordinately long time.....
what with all the virus and hacking that Puppy's websites are used to.
Yes, I've gotten to the stage where I just kill the page if I see anything unexpected. The Sri Lankan Foreign Employment Agency qualifies as unexpected :lol:

tombh

#154 Post by tombh »

oblivious wrote:The Sri Lankan Foreign Employment Agency qualifies as unexpected
You're quite right! I've just deleted them.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#155 Post by BarryK »

Okay, I've signed up with hostgator.com. My domain puppylinux.com is the primary domain, and I'll be moving over from Servage soon.

As announced earlier in this thread, forum member WhoDo has also signed up with Hostgator, and puppylinux.org will be moved there. Thanks for your generosity WhoDo.

Hey guys, my primary domain is pointing to directory 'public_html', but do you know if it is possible to change that? In Cpanel, I see that additional domains can be set to a particular directory, but there does not seem to be any way to change the directory of the primary domain.
Probably it doesn't matter really, as I suppose the directories of additional domains can be alongside 'public_html', not in it, so there should be no interference ...well, I hope so.

I've signed up for the 'baby' account, but I notice the next one up, 'swamp', has unlimited downloads ...can that really be true?
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

tombh

#156 Post by tombh »

@Barry: Yes it's nice to have a tidy root directory, it just keeps things consistent. I'd reckon the absolute best way to redirect pupplinux.com to a sub directory would be to get Hostgator to do it for you. Then you'd be using the same method that redirects other parked/addon domains to sub directories (ie. Apache's httpd.conf). But if Hostgator won't do that then I've found that this code in the .htaccess file works --

Code: Select all

# Turn on rewrites.
RewriteEngine on

# Only apply to URLs on this domain
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www.)?puppylinux.com$

# Only apply to URLs that aren't already under folder.
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/puppylinux_folder/

# Don't apply to URLs that go to existing files or folders.
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

# Rewrite all those to insert /folder.
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /puppylinux_folder/$1

# Also redirect the root folder.
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www.)?puppylinux.com$
RewriteRule ^(/)?$ /puppylinux_folder/index.html [L]
Here is the commentary on the above code.

Apache's Rewrite Module is surprisingly powerful, but its complexity agitates me as I'm never sure of the complete ramifications of using it -- how will it work with subdomains, PHP, future additions, etc. That's a lot of code for something as simple as, what might be called, a symlink!

"Unlimited downloads", mmm, I'm not sure either! To be honest I very much doubt 'unlimited' actually means 'unlimited', maybe they just call our bluff and hope that not too many people really push it to the limits. I wouldn't be surprised either that it comes with certain conditions like, downloaded media has to be connected to HTML files or something like that.

disciple

#157 Post by disciple »

Barry was trying to centre the pages on his new website. By they are all left-aligned in my Firefox - should they be?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

nic2109

#158 Post by nic2109 »

tombh wrote:@Barry:

"Unlimited downloads", mmm, I'm not sure either! To be honest I very much doubt 'unlimited' actually means 'unlimited', maybe they just call our bluff and hope that not too many people really push it to the limits. I wouldn't be surprised either that it comes with certain conditions like, downloaded media has to be connected to HTML files or something like that.
As Tom will attest, here in the UK some ISPs advertise "Unlimited downloads!!! (see the small print)" and there in the small print is a "Fair Usage Policy" which allows them plenty of wiggle-room when things get busy.

Bah! :evil:

Aitch

#159 Post by Aitch »

@nic2109

Also taking account of end user's "fair use" policy imposed by ISPs, their "Traffic Shaping" for torrent & p2p use, and "Timeslicing" so that they can oversell available bandwidth

Where I am on evenings or a Sunday afternoon I get c6/700Mb for a 2Gb line speed

And that's quite apart from the increasing use of "virtual servers"

All in all, none too clever, IMHO

Aitch

BarryK
Puppy Master

#160 Post by BarryK »

disciple wrote:Barry was trying to centre the pages on his new website. By they are all left-aligned in my Firefox - should they be?
I gave up on that, because although I got it to work with IE6, it behaves differently than Seamonkey/Firefox. In SM/FF, the centered page stays centered even if big images or reformated long lines of text are displayed -- they just go over the right margin. IE6 on the other hand, moves th entire page to try and keep the most extreme right element -- image or text or whatever as the actual right margin. So, everything pushes over to the left, on top of my vertical menubar.

Then, considering some people might be back on IE5.5 even, I have stayed with CSS absolute positioning -- I think IE5 has basic CSS support.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]