Dingo Puppy 4 Beta

News, happenings
Lobster
Official Crustacean

Dingo Puppy 4 Beta

#1 Post by Lobster »

Puppy 4 BETA Dingo

beta quality is considered stable and usable for every day (but still needs refinement)

Wiki page
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy4

please add mirrors as they become available
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Dingo

#2 Post by Dingo »

puppy pfix=ram works if I want run as live cd?

I have already a frugal install on hard disk (Puppy 3.01) running Dingo beta is sure or may damage this frugal install?
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

puppy pfix=ram works if I want run as live cd?
Yes. I am running that way now. As it is a Beta it still needs work but is considered stable enough to upgrade to, use and test.

typing "puppy pfix=ram" just as the boot option comes up (you have 5 seconds to hit the first p) - then take your time allows you to check it out.
Then if you want you can upgrade or create a save file on your media . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Dingo

#4 Post by Dingo »

thanks. First of all I will try Dingo as live cd, then I will try an upgrade of my pup_save file created with puppy 3.01, (making first a backup)
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

FoamRocket

#5 Post by FoamRocket »

I couldn't get Gxine (or any other player) to work in 3.04, so I downloaded this version instead & now it works like a charm :) Just like that! I don't know what's been done but it's awesome 8)

paulh177

#6 Post by paulh177 »

In the release notes, Barry Kauler wrote:Puppy 3.01 was built from Slackware-12 binary packages, however to reduce the size 4.00 has been totally compiled from source, using the T2-project
Does this mean that Puppy 4.00 is no longer binary-compatible with Slackware packages? (I found the slapt-get/gslapt package manager for 3.x really helpful when I couldn't find a .pet or was unable to compile a wanted application)

paul

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#7 Post by Lobster »

Does this mean that Puppy 4.00 is no longer binary-compatible with Slackware packages?
That is what it means. Libraries and other dependencies have been removed.

Puppy Lassie which retains the upgraded programs of Puppy 4 and bug fixes and also Slackware compatibility and even experimental Firefox 3 Beta 5 (possibly) is I hope still being developed by Tronkels and others efforts . . . Barry has also been helping with suggestions.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Caneri

#8 Post by Caneri »

Hi all,

Dingo 4 beta1is ready here

http://www.puppylinux.ca/puppyfiles/

EDIT: devx_3.98.sfs is also ready
Eric
Last edited by Caneri on Sat 05 Apr 2008, 20:36, edited 2 times in total.
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

floborg

#9 Post by floborg »

Lobster wrote:
Does this mean that Puppy 4.00 is no longer binary-compatible with Slackware packages?
That is what it means. Libraries and other dependencies have been removed.

Puppy Lassie which retains the upgraded programs of Puppy 4 and bug fixes and also Slackware compatibility and even experimental Firefox 3 Beta 5 (possibly) is I hope still being developed by Tronkels and others efforts . . . Barry has also been helping with suggestions.
Installing a working Opera is no longer as simple as installing the QT PET and then installing Opera. You still need the QT3 PET from Puppy 3 and that's not good enough. You apparently also need libGL. It might be time to add that dependency fetcher to PetGet.

Ray MK

#10 Post by Ray MK »

Hi

V nice - am sure its not just that I cleaned my glasses - seems as if the display is sharper and slightly brighter.

Runs well on my 5yr old laptop - 94mb ram, 1GHz celeron proc. frugal co-exist with 9 other puppy's on 9gig ext2 partition.

Really like Osmo & hotpup - the other nice setup options are good too.

A small something - the tray conf options are not working - tried to setup auto-hide and other tray options as I did in D4a7 and - no go.

Got a corrupt conf file pop-up - wasn't sure what to do - So working without auto-hide for now.

OK on std laptop but needs fixing for Eee & ClassMate.

Going to try and find out how to activate ACPI power-save, fan and hdd idle options as with FAN running constantly it is NOISY.

Used to be ok with M$uck - about the only thing M$ did do ok.

Not sure if a bios upgrade will help - the one on this laptop is a very basic version that only allows minimal setup changes - ie date, time, boot sequence and thats it.

However on my older mini pc it has an Energy Star bios and that just works with whatever puppy is installed. No acpi=force or any other similar startup commands.

Still - back to D4b1 - v nice.

Now after a bit more playing on this laptop have got to try it on all the older contraptions too - just to make sure it works on them.

Am sure it will - ttfn

Best regards - Ray MK - puppy n00bie

djringjr

#11 Post by djringjr »

Hello Lobster,

I don't see a place to suggest small things in the Puppy 4.00 Beta - but I am using it now - fabulous. It has just about every multimedia tool I need - but it is missing SoxGUI.

Two wonderful and small additions have been made to SoxGUI:

pawdioconverter (another gtkdialog gui to convert between audio formats):http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 07&t=15363

mp3wrap (small cli tool to merge mp3 files): http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 36&t=15496

These are very small and should be put in.

Of course, I'd put in Puppy Software Installer in any Puppy!

Be well,

David

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#12 Post by Lobster »

Yes I would like soxgui, the mhwavedit was not working for me and installing the audacity .pet? Nothing. No program.
I also tried dogbone (a recording program I wrote) no luck.
. . . well it used gtk1 and Dingo is gtk2 only :)

There are also two audio mixers - do we need two? Which is better?
I have created the LIT program to link to web pages where sfs
and .pets are available for major packages
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 844#185844

xara also is not yet available for Dingo

could not find an online recorder here:
http://tmxxine.com/g/

may look here . . . (I know there are on line recorders)
http://tmxxine.com/wik/wikka.php?wakka=OnlineResources
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Ray MK

#13 Post by Ray MK »

Hi again

Looks as if Fotox has lost its menu connections - wont work from menu but does work using console.

Has got its icons but also has an error 256 message in console - not sure what that means.

Otherwise looks great - luv the slideshow type feature - brilliant.

Was looking to see if there was something to make comparisons with in alpha7 for this little error and the tray not hiding - but at the moment all a bit too confusing for me.

Also tried some modification to end of etc/rc.d/rcmodules file trying to get acpi to enable power management control of fan as it is constantly blowing and is VERY NOISY.

No go - however, the only guide that I could find that gives any vague guidelines on what to do and why - is/was meant for puppy 214.

Needless to say it did nothing - did nothing for 214/teenpup either.
Tried just about every acpi, apm, wmpower, on/off/force option that I could find and a few besides - still no go.

Why is it that the one and only thing that XP did so well on this machine - ie power control, fan, hdd, close lid to suspend etc. seems so hard to apply with what is otherwise the best OS on the planet.

Still - must continue the search for the elusive answers.

Meanwhile - ttfn

Best regards - Ray MK

eccentric

Dingo puppy 4 Beta

#14 Post by eccentric »

just to let you know that i added tk-8.5.1 tcl libecl 8.5so and the PPPoE file and now i can get out into the big wide world.
Thank you Barry and all those who write for Puppy.

the great fire wall of China stopped me from accessing puppy linux .org and the wiki so i down load from ibiblio.org it did stop puppy linux .com but that returned when Barry moved ISP some weeks ago.

Michael.

Farnie

Beautiful Desktop!

#15 Post by Farnie »

Installed to USB key and booted without issue - sound immediate, connect and on internet....

Now to use.

Thank you,

Farnie

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Ding Dong 4 Dingo

#16 Post by Lobster »

Xandros was nice
but how will Puppy run?

I was going to get a Micro SD
but hey why not run from a 1GB flashdrive 8)

So . . .
running from my main machine I installed Puppy Dingo onto the flash drive
Following the instructions in the manual (to install XP actually)
I went into the Bios with f2
and Puppy booted :cry: too easy no effort - where is the tweaking :oops:

You can see the USB keydrive on the left by the gold Buddha
The buddha on the right is molesting a USB mouse
which I find easier than the tracker

One thing to note - the icons get scrunched at the bottom
the bottom line of desktop icons needs moving up . . .

well I am sure a hard wire connection would be no problem BUT how to use wireless? I thought ath_pci would do it but no.

Has anyone get wireless running on Dingo on the Eeepc or classmate (I think Barry has with the classmate)?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

tronkel

#17 Post by tronkel »

Lobster wrote:
Has anyone get wireless running on Dingo on the Eeepc or classmate (I think Barry has with the classmate)?
Wireless in Dingo Beta certainly runs on the Classmate PC out-of-the-box - which is more than I can say for TinyMe which I tried last week.

Interesting problem to try to solve. If and when I get the time I'll have another try with TinyME.

In the meantime Puppy Dingo 4 is streets ahead of TinyMe in other respects as well on the Classmate PC.

Interesting thing about TinyME though is the Debian compatibility.
I wonder if it could be remastered and "puppyfied" as a debian-compatible version of Puppy.

I'm working under time pressure at the moment. When I get the time I'll research that aspect.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

Eyes-Only

#18 Post by Eyes-Only »

That's a nice pic Lobster! Thanks for sharing with us. :) I saved it off into my photo directory as I liked the "peaceful setting" and environment that's sitting in. Looks like it would be a nice place to sit and think as one answers their email... Sort of like my space here where I'm surrounded by photos of my grandchildren and items they've made me. :)

We are both VERY fortunate and lucky people.

I haven't tried the beta of Dingo but I do have a frugal install of Alpha 6 I believe it is. I can't say that I've used it a lot as the Slacky compatibility of 3.0.x appeals to me the most, yet when I have used it I've greatly enjoyed it plus the fact it was straight GTK2 and not a zillion differing codebases all vying for control. Big thumbs up for that IMHO.

Umm... Tronkel? TinyMe being "Debian Compatible"? That's really news to me. I ran that until a week ago doing testing upon it and it's based off from PCLOS, which in turn is a Mandrake-based (originally) distro, yet when Texstar forked he gave up urpmi of Mandrake/Mandriva in favour of the apt-get/Synaptic package system, while still remaining .rpm-based for his packages.

As a matter of fact, I'm writing this from a highly modified version of TinyFlux, which itself branched off from TinyMe. ;)

And are we having fun yet? LOL!

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

tempestuous

Re: Ding Dong 4 Dingo

#19 Post by tempestuous »

Lobster wrote:Has anyone get wireless running on Dingo on the Eeepc or classmate (I think Barry has with the classmate)?
WiFi on the Eee requires a non-standard version of the MADWiFi ath_pci driver. That's been discussed in Eee-specific forum threads here.
Since the current "beta1" version of Puppy4 has the same 2.6.21.7 kernel as Puppy3, you can use the wifi driver for Puppy3, available here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 643#153643

Of course, Puppy4 development so far has seen several different kernels, and the final Puppy4 version is likely to be different again.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Ding Dong 4 Dingo

#20 Post by BarryK »

tempestuous wrote:Of course, Puppy4 development so far has seen several different kernels, and the final Puppy4 version is likely to be different again.
I'll stick with the 2.6.21.7 kernel for 4.00final, but will offer an alternative build soon after with the latest 2.6.25.x kernel.

I was planning a retro build with the 2.6.18.8 kernel also, but we have many reports of Puppy booting up with a 2.6.23.x and 2.6.24.x kernel whereas would not boot with the 2.6.21.7 kernel, and that's on older hardware. Curious situation. So I might put the retro build on hold.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]