New approach toward multisession CD-W

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
potchan
Location: Pilots' Height Tel Aviv - Yaffo, Israel לינוקס_פותחן

New approach toward multisession CD-W

#1 Post by potchan »

O.K. I'm new here, but I'm with Puppylinux over 2 years now.

I find CD media switchable from EVERY place, and more reliable than flashdisks. Believe me, i'm working from one now, but it cannot mount another PC, nevertheless its booting capabilities change in moving it to another place that makes it it not bootable again not there and not again on my PC. I know how to reconstruct itt, but I'm a MESHUGAH! An ordinary user would skip back to "bill" shruffling and screaming ...

So CDs are more reliable cheap and common, but multisession chockes memory and disk. I have a thought and I need a script for it:

What if -

I'll take a multisession CD-W, put Puppy on it, make my initial (1st track) definitions and work with it. The 2nd. save will be saved normally as well on track #2. Now to the change: it will save ALSO on 3rd. track the CONCLUSION of tracks 1 and 2. Next boot it will be automatically from 3rd. track only, wiping automatically 1 and 2. Next save will be on 'late' 1 and 2 becoming new "1". Now we have two basic save areas: track "1" and 3 became new "2". I recommend the script to see that there is enough spare (+100% each) on each of the two new tracks. If a problem in place the system will build new tracks "3" and "4" ignoring totally from 1, 2 unless special script bootcode demands any of them. This way we make our CD media more efficient than today and last longer with a reasonable RAM level. That's also because a lot of garbage inserted and canceled/copied to sdX/hdX simply won't be mounted to RAM anymore.

comments ? script ? thanks.

raffy

diagram

#2 Post by raffy »

Thanks for the suggestion, potchan - expect Barry to be reading this. May I suggest that you supply a diagram for that, perhaps something that shows a loop? It could help in explaining your concept, especially if you indicate in the diagram how the new benefits are produced. (You can attach the diagram as an image.)
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

potchan
Location: Pilots' Height Tel Aviv - Yaffo, Israel לינוקס_פותחן

New approach 'hits' again...

#3 Post by potchan »

Also -

... a DVD-RW which can be read from CD-only players can help me too.

This way I can put my 'ideas" into up-to 1.7 Gb on wallet compatible card, rather than approx. 100 Mb available on card-size CD. Is there any available tech for that ?