Picker 0.3 - File Acrobat

Filemanagers, partitioning tools, etc.
zigbert

Picker 0.3 - File Acrobat

#1 Post by zigbert »

Picker - File Acrobat

It's hard to define what Picker is, but I have put it into the FileManager menu.
It is an advanced file-finder, it does basic file management, the indexer views my 20000 songs in 2 sec. But it's main target is to build a file-list that you can freely act on. - Play music, Save playlist, view pictures, copy files, send to burner, execute command, watch video..........It's nearly endless how Picker can manage your files.

Picker-code is one doze of Pfind, plus a bit of Pburn, and then some File-Acrobat spice.
Sigmund Berglund
Download
username: puppy
password: linux

Picker-0.3 (19 kb).
Language support

If using Puppy 3, you need pfilesearch

If using Puppy 2, you also need the latest gtkdialog-0.7.20

Last edited by zigbert on Thu 04 Nov 2010, 17:29, edited 14 times in total.

john biles

#2 Post by john biles »

Hello zigbert,
Looks like another great app!
I tried running it in Puppy 2.14 and got these error.
I tried creating the missing file in /tmp but each time i did, it appears to claim another file is missing. any ideas on getting it to working?
Attachments
picker error.jpg
(38.87 KiB) Downloaded 3776 times
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

zigbert

#3 Post by zigbert »

For Puppy 2 you need the latest gtkdialog 0.7.20

ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... 0.7.20.pet

I don't think your error-msg is critical. It changes because the file gets its pid as extension. This makes it usable when running several instances of Picker, which is often useful.

Sigmund

john biles

#4 Post by john biles »

Hello zigbert,
It's a goer now!! the lib did it :D
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

zigbert

#5 Post by zigbert »

Italian translation by Angelo Gemmi

zigbert

#6 Post by zigbert »

French translation by Jean-Jacques Moulinier (esmourguit)

disciple

#7 Post by disciple »

I get this after using the button to open files in an image viewer, but i'm not sure if there is something strange about xnview causing it:

Code: Select all

/usr/local/picker/picker: eval: line 549: syntax error near unexpected token `('
/usr/local/picker/picker: eval: line 549: `** XnView v1.70 Copyright 1991-2005 Pierre-E Gougelet (Sep  6 2005/15:28:24) **'
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#8 Post by Lobster »

It's hard to define what Picker is
:? If you don't know what it is - what chance have I got. :lol:

I tried it in Dingo but Xine was not present (this seem to stump the green arrow button . . .)

Is it a universal media viewer?
a media file manager?

I know this is something good. What though?
Maybe those playing with it can explain it?

Many thanks as always :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

zigbert

#9 Post by zigbert »

disciple
I don't get this error on my system. I use Puppy 3.01 and gtksee. Please test some more, and let me know if you find that the error belongs to Picker.

Lobster wrote:I know this is something good. What though?
Yeah, this is good. To be honest, - This is the very best app I ever made, and I'm soooo proud of it :) Personally I got 2 targets when I made Picker.
1. The structure of Pfind has its limits. To make a more complete file-finder I had to make a new gui.
2. Puppy misses a decent music player. Gxine is ok, but is not good when you want to build playlists. Picker is excellent for making playlist, and since there already are apps that plays the music, I didn't have to make a complete musicplayer.

Hope you find your way in the Picker-world.
Sigmund

zigbert

#10 Post by zigbert »

Version 0.2
See main post

Changelog
- Preferences for Pfilesearch.
- Use MIME settings from Pfilesearch
- Add alsaplayer to list of musicplayers
- Bugfix: Link to homepage in about-dialog.
- Bugfix: Screenheight adjusted with 2 pixels.
- Bugfix: add searchitem to list: avoid similar matches to also be added.

disciple

#11 Post by disciple »

1. What is the "squeeze" thing? - nothing seemed to happen when I tried it.
2. Is there a good reason for not being able to add directories? It would be useful to be able to add directories, the only trouble might be that although it would be useful to add a directory itself, other times it might be useful to add the contents of a directory recursively...

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

zigbert

#12 Post by zigbert »

Hi Alister

Squeeze equals is to be used when you got more than one item in list of the same file.

Directories in the filelist gives us a lot more trouble. Commands to act on list had to check all the time whether is was a file/symlink or a dir. It is possible to think of a solution like Pburn which stores both a list and a symlink directory. - If adding a dir, you also need to dive into it. But I don't think it will value the pain. Instead I have been thinking of rebuild Picker to a musicplayer. That is one of those black holes that are left in Puppy (as I see it). But anyway, it has to wait. Maybe in september. Then I probably got some time.

Sigmund

disciple

#13 Post by disciple »

Sweet.
Good work on all of these guis :)

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

bill

Picker in Puppy 4 Dingo

#14 Post by bill »

Hello Zigbert,Picker seems to do a fine job of finding every incidence of a program I have been trying to get working called "Rosegarden"
I have worked on this program for some time (newbie) and came to realize with Pfind that I have occurrences of "rosegarden" all over this distro.Puppy 4 Dingo running live.My desire is to find all these occurences and globally DELETE every one of them.This would give me a fresh start because I am almost certain that anything I try to do will be corrupted if I don't get rid of all these entry's.Is there a way to do this in Picker or on the console ? thanks,bill

disciple

#15 Post by disciple »

I can't remember if there is in Picker, but in Pfind you can either delete everything in the list, or send it to the trash. Have you looked through the menu in Picker?

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

bill

#16 Post by bill »

Yes,I have tryed both in Pfind and Picker and haven't been able to clean these files out.In fact I even tryed sending them to "
Trash" and then Deleting them,but on reboot,I ended up with more files than I started with ! Yikes ! Something very cryptic going on here but maybe this is because I am running live ?cheers

disciple

#17 Post by disciple »

maybe this is because I am running live
No, you should still be able to delete things.

What on earth do you mean when you say you ended up with more than you started with? Where are they?

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

bill

#18 Post by bill »

here is where they are and I think they are in ram.
Attachments
nodelete.png
(191.25 KiB) Downloaded 816 times

disciple

#19 Post by disciple »

Yes, I think those are in one of puppy's read-only files. But how did they get there? Have you remastered Puppy with them?
If so, I think you will see the same files in multiple places (e.g. /usr/bin as well as /initrd/pup_ro2/). This does not mean you have more than one copy - you are just seeing the same copy in more than one place, because of Puppies unioned filesystem.
I suspect they did not multiply when you deleted them - perhaps you imagined it, or maybe Pfind wasn't displaying them all the first time (occasionally for me it only loads some of the search results, and I have to click the show all button to get it to reload the list).

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

bill

#20 Post by bill »

I knew I couldn't fool you disciple :wink: ,yes,I did remaster ,and the reason was I had added (and got working) :D two other programs with the help of plinej and big_bass ,Audacity and Ardour2.Since both of these programs required additional dependencies I didn't want to destroy them due to some insanity as I had done several times already and had to start again with a "clean install". In the case of all the missfires I had made with rosegarden,I didn't realize all this excess baggage was being saved as well when I remastered.So now I am at the point that I feel I must delete all this confusion that I have created before I can get back to the task at hand of trying to get rosegarden playing with Puppy 4.Since initrd and pup_save.2fs are both hard coded files on the hard drive ,There must be some way to backup these files and do some cleaning of them.? This is where I am sorely lacking in experience.
The reason for all of this is I am trying to build a version of Puppy 4 with these duplex programs that are able to play and record at the same time ,both analog and midi.Some way of coiverting .mp3s and .wavs and vice versa are required also which would make Puppy 4 a natural for the "home recordist" where in one forum I visit has over four thousand members ,some of which record soundfiles and post them.I just feel Puppy four would be a natural.cheers,bill