Back to Windows for me

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
oblivious

#21 Post by oblivious »

Pizzasgood wrote:
He wants the OPTION to auto-mount.
Oh yes, you're right. I'd just grabbed something as an example that people have different preferences that may not be catered for. That option would probably be a good thing, as you say.

[OP, another thought. I don't know whether you will persevere with it, but have a look at whether there's a basic Linux course at your local technical college, adult education centre or University extension programme. Ages ago, I did a short course on DOS at the local tech. At worst, you'll find out a bit about how things work. At best, you'll tap into another source of information.]

nap44

#22 Post by nap44 »

Downloaded Freespire but won't boot. BusyBox message and
/bin/sh: can't access TTY; Job control turned off ???????????????????????
Also in Muppy. Some sub menus are in German. Did I mention attention to detail somewhere?

Not criticisms, just observations!
Cheers :(

oblivious wrote:
Oblivious gave me a heads up with his reference to Freespire and I’ve had a look at the site a few hours ago.

I've never actually looked at the Freespire site, but the program itself is very slick and glossy and looks like it might have ironed out a lot of hardware issues

oblivious

#23 Post by oblivious »

nap44 wrote:Downloaded Freespire but won't boot.
Oh, dear :cry: . Maybe you should stick with Windows, your computer obviously hates Linux distros and is trying to tell you something. Just kidding :lol: . (I got that error message on my new computer, maybe try "irqpoll" at the boot prompt?)

(I thought I read somewhere on here about fixing german appearing in Muppy, but vielleicht nicht.)

MU

#24 Post by MU »

you need to provide more details, please.
If you have german submenus, there are 2 possible reasons:

a) this is a bug.
I would need more info, which program, and maybe a screenshot.

b) you use a "DE" Iso, not the "EN" Iso.
DE is for german only, EN is english.
You cannot use the DE Iso completely in english, as some programs have german hardcoded in it.
Please use EN.
I also would need to now which version you use (008 , 008.2), Standard or Mini.

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

d4p

#25 Post by d4p »

gary101

#26 Post by gary101 »

The Linux vs Windows debate is as old as............ Well, as old as Linux and Windows.

I think I have heard argument for both sides more than I wish to recall. I think it useful now and again to remember where Linux started.

A group of individuals who decided to contribute to a project to produce a working operating system that could be freely used and distributed. Anybody could join and have their say about additions and modifications. Sounds to me just like what happens still with Puppy.

It has been said in this post and elsewhere that Linux is not Windows. It has also been said that Linux is not ready to be an alternative as a desktop operating system. I think the comment that is missing is that the user is not ready for Linux.

Anyone using a Linux operating system is faced with two options: To bemoan lack of driver support etc or actually to help do something about it. The comments that I find common to all posts is something along the lines of "its to difficult to use" or "this or that doesn't work".

Linux is an enthusiasts operating system, those enthusiasts want to learn more about the operating system and the way it works and a majority of them enjoy tinkering. There is nothing wrong with someone preferring to pay for and use a commercial product, some people prefer package holidays, I prefer to get off the beaten track and do what I want to do rather than what a holiday company wants me to get involved in.

So to those who try Linux and want to go back to the land of M$, I wish you well, at least you tried it, it was not for you, but please don't knock it. It was never what you thought it was in the first place.

(probably my longest post ever, now I am off on holiday!)

All the best

Gary

Sage

#27 Post by Sage »

I think it useful now and again to remember where Linux started.
Linux, per se, was merely another, albeit inspired, PhD project. All that GNU-ey stuff started as a separate concept. Good fortunate caused the two to make the whole greater than the sum of the parts, too.
Stallman & Torvalds may yet get to visit Stockholm - or even Oslo! Give it another decade?

Excuse taking the opportunity to demonstrate the correct usage of those homophones that even cause problems to our own Dear Leader!

john biles

#28 Post by john biles »

Hello Everyone and nap44,
Here's an idea? What if nap44 listed all his hardware and we tried to see if it would be possible to get it all working.
It might be easier than we think.

It might serve as an interest experiment to future Linux User's?

Also nap44 if Windows XP is so great, why are you trying out different versions of Linux?
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

capoverde

#29 Post by capoverde »

Nice one John, that's the right positive attitude in our community! It's everybody's advantage when things go well for all.

(Er... however, just to be realistic, it might also be harder than we think :shock:)

furryfriend

#30 Post by furryfriend »

what would aj say ?

samfissure

#31 Post by samfissure »

gary101 wrote:It has been said in this post and elsewhere that Linux is not Windows. It has also been said that Linux is not ready to be an alternative as a desktop operating system. I think the comment that is missing is that the user is not ready for Linux.
Excellent observation, IMHO. I did my first Linux distro about 5 years ago (Mandrake 9.1) with which I kicked around for a bit, but the PC didn't have a nic so my use of it was limited, Back then I was thinking it was free windows, but soon realized I was wrong! So i kind of walked away from it. I installed puppy on an old Gateway 2500 laptop and it took a lot of reading and trial and error to get the 3com nic working. Then I decided I wanted wireless so I could get online while being in the same room as my wife. SO I got an Edimax wireless card since I had read it worked 'out of the box' with Linux. NOT QUITE! But I finally wrestled around with it and got it working though I'm still having problems when I try using encryption.

The point being Gary is correct - I wasn't ready for Linux 5 years ago, am I now? I believe so. But it takes a huge shift in your paradigm to make the switch from Windows and a LOT of learning.

I'd urge you to hang in there and ask many questions, that'show one learns.

Cheers!

WhoDo

#32 Post by WhoDo »

furryfriend wrote:what would aj say ?
"Ever heard of Google, ffs?!?"
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

nap44

#33 Post by nap44 »

Hello John biles,

What a great idea!

There must be a lot of ppl out there dealing with the same frustrations as me. Not everyone needs all the options built into the distros. Just a clean mean working machine. And those instructions could be posted in the forum. This could be a good base to then build knowledge and assist the learning curve. A good working platform. I stress working!

Also, I didn't say XP is great. Just good to me with what I do. Never fails, but maybe I'm just lucky and don't stretch the OS to it's limits.

My attraction to Linux and particularly Puppy is twofold.
1. It's the brainchild of one person, BK in particular. A thinker not a follower. And I like that.

2. The ability to run a complete operating system, together with personal configuration and space for files on a single CD/DVD or USB or SD card has to be a major plus. And all the other benefits too many to mention.

It's the portability that interests me.

Cheers

john biles wrote:Hello Everyone and nap44,
Here's an idea? What if nap44 listed all his hardware and we tried to see if it would be possible to get it all working.
It might be easier than we think.

It might serve as an interest experiment to future Linux User's?

Also nap44 if Windows XP is so great, why are you trying out different versions of Linux?

nap44

#34 Post by nap44 »

Hi Mark,
It will take a while for me to find the German submenus as I just made a note of it on my CD cover, so when I get time I'll try to find it again. It was in ver 008 and it was the Minisys version. That I know, but you have released a later version, so it's now rather academic. Also was the EN version BTW.

Just had a look at ver 008.2 and it looks very nice. A little messy in bootup sequence compared to other Puppys and it autoconnects to my broadband which I like a lot. Have not spent a lot of time on it yet but a couple of things have surfaced on my setup. Installed a pet package which required a restart of X according to the dialogue box. But doing this crashed and hung my computer, needing a turnoff at the power point to recover. Also this happened with 008 so it may be something to do with my setup. But other puppies restart X server without problems.

Also,
Click->Multimedia->MultimediaPlayer-.GxineMediaPlayer....Nothing happens.
Click->Multimedia->xawtv.....nothing happens.
Click->Internet->Web Browser->SeaMonkey........nothing happens.

These are just the things I have noted but I have not tried all the various programs. Need a spare week to do that.

HTH,
Cheers

MU wrote:you need to provide more details, please.
If you have german submenus, there are 2 possible reasons:

a) this is a bug.
I would need more info, which program, and maybe a screenshot.

b) you use a "DE" Iso, not the "EN" Iso.
DE is for german only, EN is english.
You cannot use the DE Iso completely in english, as some programs have german hardcoded in it.
Please use EN.
I also would need to now which version you use (008 , 008.2), Standard or Mini.

Mark

MU

#35 Post by MU »

we will release version 008.3 hopefully next weekend.
It includes several improvements, e.g. no more "dead" entries in the menu.
Also the menu is updated without restarting X.
I just finished the draft of the german website for it, must still translate it to english.
http://dotpups.de/Minisys-Linux/draft/

I'll anounce that version in the derivates subforum, when it is ready.

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

nap44

#36 Post by nap44 »

Hi Mark,

Look forward to the new release. And just to make your distro near perfect, for me anyway, could you include:
Fotox viewer as in BK’s distro. Easy and simple and workable. User friendly. Please!

Latest Cups that includes my CanonPixma MP160. Yours only has MP150. There is a later Cups that also has MP170 printers as I’ve seen it in other distros. Pleeeese!

Skype installed and working and hopefully support for my Logitech Webcam. Also a bigger Pleeeese!
Ekiga as an alternative, but I’ve never got it to work. Am stopped at the message. “The detection of your NAT type is finished. Ekiga detected Symmetric NAT and it goes on from there with a long message none of which makes any sense to me and I don’t know what to do from there. Echo test to 500@ekiga.net fails obviously because it’s not set up correctly.

Wish list:- Options to Automount drives and auto connect to net via DHCP.

I’m sure these changes would endear your distro to many others out there who are having the same issues as me.

If you can’t accommodate any of these changes at this late stage, then congratulations anyway for a well thought through distro.

Ps. Icedock, whilst good eye candy seems a bit superfluous to me. It’s too small to be of any use and most of the info is already on screen anyway in a see through table.

Cheers

MU wrote:we will release version 008.3 hopefully next weekend.
It includes several improvements, e.g. no more "dead" entries in the menu.
Also the menu is updated without restarting X.
I just finished the draft of the german website for it, must still translate it to english.
http://dotpups.de/Minisys-Linux/draft/

I'll anounce that version in the derivates subforum, when it is ready.

Mark

Sage

#37 Post by Sage »

auto connect to net via DHCP
Whatever you do, Mark, you probably don't want to do this! It's a curse. Writing auto dhcp can halt the booting process dead. It's been that way for many decades. Many Europeans and professionals in the USA benefit from StaticIP; this is the way it always was. Not sure about Oz & Asia. K.I.S.S.

raffy

Asia

#38 Post by raffy »

I keep eth0mode in /etc and autoDHCP works at first bootup. In newer Puppy version, you press ENTER to halt the autoDHCP.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#39 Post by Lobster »

Whatever you do, Mark, you probably don't want to do this! It's a curse.
OM YA HA HUM (nullifies any curse)

Most modern distros use DHCP quite successfully
to the delight and now almost expectation of users.
Bless the End User of Penguin Power to drive forward
the usability and ease of use . . .

Also I would have thought most Muppy users would be using
machines were DHCP was the norm?

Is Raffys point a fair one? Or is some sort of
command line interrupt required on the initial boot?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Sage

#40 Post by Sage »

Sounds like you chose the wrong phone company! No need to suffer in the UK any longer, nor subscribe to BT's £18bn hole in their accounts? You can get StaticIP with Tiscali for no extra - they pay a premium in the USA for that, apparently.