How can I add files and folders to a multissession cd ?

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
Alienx

How can I add files and folders to a multissession cd ?

#1 Post by Alienx »

let's say that i have a 50 mb Puppy multisession cd (or any other multissessssion cd)

how can I manually add files and folders to root cd ?

can I modify or delete a file already on cd like syslinux.conf or image.gz ?

how to do it ?
Sorry, broken english above :-)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

For DVD its easy to add files/folders to the DVD, see this answered by
Ted Dog in other threads in multisession section.

Mr Doolie

#3 Post by Mr Doolie »

Super Easy! I just did it. I assume you have a Winblows system.

Here's what I did. YMMV

1) Looked at the CD in Winblows. There were the puppy files and some folders. Mine were named 2005-11-12-20-14 and 2005-11-12-20-35
Guessing those were the times and dates of the saves (8:14 and 8:35 on Nov/12). Well, yes that's exactly when I was playing with Puppy.

2) Created a folder called 2005-11-12-21-00 on my hard drive

3) Copied some files into it.

4) Used good old Nero to "Continue Multisession" and burned the folder to the CD.

It Worked! The files were there when I booted Puppy!

As for doing it in Linux I dunno but assume it would work the same way. Check the folder names and burn another folder with "Continue Multisession"?

Next test: Delete some of those files and see if Puppy will update the CD and continue to work OK. Don't know why he wouldn't.

Mr Doolie

#4 Post by Mr Doolie »

Well, THAT didn't work!

When I exited Pup he couldn't update the CD and farkled the whole thing.

So...the anwers seems to be "Kinda". You can add with Nero but better close the CD because Puppy can't update it any more.

Shoot! I thought I was being clever for once.
Sorry

EDIT:

or maybe the answer is (wild guess have not tried it)

1) Use Nero to add another session.
2) See if Puppy boots and the new files are there.
This seems to work fine up to here.
3) Toss the CDR and let Puppy create a brand new one with all the new stuff on it. Barry, Puppy will do that, right? I mean if he sees a brand new clean CDR in the drive he'll write a new clean Puppy system with all the current stuff on it?

Or....Keep Puppy on a CDRW and just wipe it clean between steps 2 and 3. OTOH blank CDRs are a whole 20 cents or something. Big Flying Whoop! Make a new clean one.

This is just a guess and has not been tested.

hartsantler

#5 Post by hartsantler »

I tried the quoted steps, and it did not work for me using 1.06, i'm going to revert to 1.04 and give that a go:
1) Use Nero to add another session.
2) See if Puppy boots and the new files are there.
This seems to work fine up to here.
3) Toss the CDR and let Puppy create a brand new one with all the new stuff on it. Barry, Puppy will do that, right? I mean if he sees a brand new clean CDR in the drive he'll write a new clean Puppy system with all the current stuff on it?
it would be nice if it did because this is the only way i can think of to customize puppy from windows.

however, it did work once, which is strange, i rebooted several times and finnally (after pressing the scroll-lock key alot) it finnaly saved a session, but never again. also just plain old vanilla 1.06 does not save for me either.

Mr Doolie

#6 Post by Mr Doolie »

What didn't work? Step 3 and after or steps 1 and 2?
Remember to NOT close the disk awhen doing the Nero write.

I dunno. 1 and 2 worked for me. The Win added files were there.

Ted Dog

difference between DVD-R and DVD+R

#7 Post by Ted Dog »

As Barry says DVD-R works better, true! But I have a stack of DVD+R which save faster. I have been able to use NERO but it is not the default method to leave the disc open.

How to use a DVD+R with Barry save back to DVD.

The primary problem is the reporting of sessions by DVD+R. Puppy sees it as only one track for the save and tries to burn new disc.

Work around burn a second track prior to using Save to DVD. It can be anything. I will burn a usr_devx.fs to the root of the DVD like this

Code: Select all

growisofs -D -R -J -M /dev/dvd /root/my-documents/usr_devx.fs
CD+R has the same issue but the commands are complex.

As someone pointed out earlier use Nero to burn another session, remember to continue to keep the disk open.

It is useful to have a additonal tools, and it solves the extra track (session) needed by the puppy scripts.

Mr Doolie

#8 Post by Mr Doolie »

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I did this with a CD-R. Not a DVD.
Blank DVDs (for me anyway) are too $$$ to play around with.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

Mr. Doolie, have you considered putting multisession Puppy on a DVD+/-RW?

#10 Post by Guest »

Doolie here.

Good thought. The when it gets full (or messed) I just wipe it clean and rewrite. But those things are about $10 each aren't they? Or am I thinkig of DVD-RAMS?

Ted Dog

DVD-RAM's are dropping to about 7dollars

#11 Post by Ted Dog »

I bought a three pk of DVD-RAMs and found that will not work on anything I own. Try DVD-RW over DVD+RW they are readable in more drives, prices are dropping as well they are less than 5 dollars each with large pks very much less than that.
I have 3 full sized Philips DVD+RW that I have been using for 2 years. My favorites are the mini-DVDs; DVD-RW by Memorix (had a bad batch once) so I would not highly recommend, but when they work, they work very well.
Even cheaper are plain DVD-R and the least problematic in puppy.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#12 Post by Flash »

Anonymous wrote:Doolie here.

Good thought. The when it gets full (or messed) I just wipe it clean and rewrite. But those things [DVD+/-RW] are about $10 each aren't they? Or am I thinkig of DVD-RAMS?
Actually, Panasonic DVD-RAM single disks sell for $3 at my local Fry's Electronics, and DVD+RW for much less. I bought a 25-pack of no-name DVD+RW for $10 about 6 months ago. They work. :?