ROX 2.2.0 Dotpup messed up my desktop theme

Using applications, configuring, problems
~newbie

ROX 2.2.0 Dotpup messed up my desktop theme

#1 Post by ~newbie »

Why is it when I installed ROX 2.2.0 Dotpup it messed up my icons and display (i mean wallpaper). My settings were lost. JWM Theme manager not working anymore. Please someone help me?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

new Rox

#2 Post by Lobster »

:?

If you go to home / my roxapps / and click on the new roxapps icon can you uninstall?

m m m . . . I installed and used the new Rox for a while - gave me nothing new that I can remember as essential over the inbuilt Rox file manager.

That it effected your screen. Bad Puppy. Go in the corner. Hope you sort things and someone can offer better advisement . . .

:)

~newbie

#3 Post by ~newbie »

it altered my desktop. Puppy dog is no more to be found. :(

the icons were different. change all to "gears" or something. it only displayed mozilla, abiword, ROX filer, rxvt. No wallpaper. Theme destroyed. :(

How do i update to rox 2.2.0 with out altering my desktop?

thanks for the reply.

#4 Post by Guest »

right click the Rox-Filer icon in my-roxapps to uninstall
(click Rox or Home or whatever then click the my-roxapps folder, or run rox filer from the menu)

if you install and run Rox 2.2.0 it takes over your wallpaper

your configuration files are not gone ... but Rox 2.2.0 config files are not compatible with the older config files, and if you allow Rox 2.2.0 to upgrade the config files, it does not look nice, so i deliberately chose to preconfigure it, which looks better ... it is setup to use the seagull wallpaper ... if you install Rox 2.2.0 on Puppy 1.0.5 it probably won't work quite right because the seagull wallpaper is not there anymore ... Rox 2.3 should work ok with Puppy 1.0.5, but the desktop icons will still be changed, for the same reason

i think Rox 2.2.0 has an option in the right click menu to copy your old desktop to the Rox 2.2.0 config files ... don't expect it to look nice ... you have to right click any icon on the desktop to set the Background (wallpaper)

~newbie

#5 Post by ~newbie »

Anonymous wrote:Rox 2.3 should work ok with Puppy 1.0.5, but the desktop icons will still be changed, for the same reason
where can i get Rox 2.3 dotpup?

#6 Post by Guest »

rox 2.3

it might be better to uninstall rox 2.2.0 first

Pizzasgood

#7 Post by Pizzasgood »

I didn't uninstall and it was okay. But, maybe I missed something, so do at your own risk :)

You can bring back the standard desktop (as in what icons you have on it), though. After you install it, go to /root/Choices/ROX-Filer and copy PuppyPin to /root/Choices20/ROX-Filer/

If I remember right, that doesn't cause any problems, but I'm not positive on that either :?

EDIT: Actually, don't quote me on that. I'm going to test it, but I need to finish reading these posts first.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#8 Post by GuestToo »

i do not think there should be any problems if you do not uninstall rox 2.2.0 first

yes, for Rox 2.2.0, you can copy PuppyPin to /root/Choices20/ROX-Filer/ ... in fact, i think i put an item in the context menu to do that ... it doesn't cause any real problems, but you will lose the wallpaper setting and the icons may not be arranged as nicely, because the icons may be a slightly different size and the icon text may be a slightly different size

for Rox 2.3, you can copy PuppyPin to /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/

either version of Rox can be easily uninstalled by right clicking the ROX-Filer icon in my-roxapps

by the way, you can run the old rox at the same time as the new rox, by clicking the ROX-Filer icon in /usr/local/apps/

willhunt

will you be making a rox 3.0 puppy

#9 Post by willhunt »

will rox get a update in 1.06 ?

Pizzasgood

#10 Post by Pizzasgood »

Probably not. It's a bit bigger for one, and for another Barry doesn't want to add a lot of new stuff for 1.0.6, but to instead get what's there runnnig more smoothly.

Pizzapup does, though. I haven't typed the announcement post yet, but the link will be in my sig shortly.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#11 Post by GuestToo »

it would take about 300k more space to have rox 2.3 in Puppy 1.0.6 instead of rox 1.2 (mostly the shared-mime-info files ... you don't need all the files, just freedesktop.org.xml and rox.xml and update-mime-database to rebuild the database ... by the way, the shared-mime-database files can be put in /usr instead of /root)