1.0.5 CD Boot in Panasonic CF-W2A fails if discontinuous

Please post any bugs you have found
kethd

1.0.5 CD Boot in Panasonic CF-W2A fails if discontinuous

#1 Post by kethd »

My odd experience on Panasonic CF-W2A laptop (Intel 900MHz) is that booting from internal CD (DVD) works OK -- unless you pause at the HD-pupxxx question and let the CD spin down. Then when you continue, the CD fails to spin up and loading of usr_cram.fs fails with multiple error msgs about being unable to find various sectors.

Please let me know what additional specifics or experiments about this problem would be helpful.

kethd

#2 Post by kethd »

I've tried to re-create the problem -- but I can't.
On the same computer, I rebooted a few times.
It takes 33 seconds for the UJDA747 DVD/CDRW drive to spin down at the <"Choose HD" (no suitable partitions) ...which partition has the pupxxx file...> question.
But now, whether I wait for spin-down or not, it spins up the CD and loads usr_cram.fs OK.
So it was either some random unpredictable glitch, or an interaction with the USB devices I was playing with previously.

kethd

#3 Post by kethd »

The problem returned.
It does seem to be related to having USB devices plugged in at boot time.
With a USB mouse attached, and my new-used Buslink FDD1 USB 1.1 Floppy Drive, I again waited 33 secs for the internal CD to spin down, at the "Choose HD Partition" question. (Which has odd USB-related stuff appended.) When I hit Enter (for no pupxxx), it responded:
>...looking for usr_cram.fs on the CD.
The CD spun up, but just a little, weakly, and error msgs spewed:
>hdc: media error (bad sector): status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
>hdc: media error (bad sector): error=0x30
>end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 0 (4, 8, 12)
Those 3 lines were repeated 4 times, for 4 sectors. Then it gave up:
>Uniform CD-ROM driver unloaded