Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 23 Oct 2014, 02:09
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Save to internet?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
Author Message
saintlangton

Joined: 28 May 2005
Posts: 108

PostPosted: Sat 28 May 2005, 18:22    Post subject:  Save to internet?  

Just a thought...

Puppy Linux rocks - you can just take a CD (or USB pen or Download of a few minutes and burn to cd/pendrive) and you have your operating system with you.

The save data to rewriteable CD is a cool feature - take your operating system AND your data on a CD.

How about being able to save data and configuration details to your own personal webspace so you can have your own configuration and data with you anywhere the internet reaches...

I'm thinking that when puppy has booted and connected to the internet there could be a 'change to my puppy' option. This would ask for the URL and password and then would ftp a file across. Puppy would then read this file and update it's configuration accordingly and download the user's data. There would also be a 'save to webspace' option which would ftp the relevant data in a file to the users own webspace.

With this in place Puppy would be awesomely portable - any PC with internet and CD burner could have not only my favorite operating system only a few minutes away but in just another minute or so it would be setup how I like it AND with my data available to hand and updateable...

I'm new to Linux as a whole and Puppy especially (I downloaded and booted Puppy for the first time today Very Happy ) so I apologise if this doesn't make much sense but it sounds good to me.

Chris
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Rhino


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 262
Location: Cincinnati, OH, USA

PostPosted: Sat 28 May 2005, 21:06    Post subject:  

Funny you should mention that...I was thinking about a similar idea earlier today. Cool. That would be great, that way you could even do incremental backups of your files. I'm not sure about the speed limitations of uploading files to the internet, but it shouldn't be too prohibitive. Unfortunately most typical home users don't have lots of free web space sitting around with good monthly data transfer allowances.

Where would a person find cheap web space with large,fast, reliable data transfer? Any ideas Wink I know yahoo and others give you some space, but they make it somewhat difficult to move files there and get them back and there is limited bandwidth with them.

I remember seeing a commercial during the Super Bowl for Godaddy.com
Maybe I can check it out.

And by the way...WELCOME TO PUPPY! Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger 
Flash
Official Dog Handler


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 11120
Location: Arizona USA

PostPosted: Sat 28 May 2005, 22:50    Post subject:  

Rhino wrote:
<>
I know yahoo and others give you some space, but they make it somewhat difficult to move files there and get them back and there is limited bandwidth with them.
<>

Yahoo gives you 1GB free storage. I don't know what the speed limits are but people send 1~2 MB pictures to my Yahoo mail which download very fast. I think it would work fine to store Puppy configuration settings and such on Yahoo. Large files, maybe not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Mathiasdm

Joined: 05 May 2005
Posts: 100

PostPosted: Sun 29 May 2005, 08:38    Post subject:  

I'm planning to make a Linux distribution for writers (based on Puppy). If someone could make such a thing, it would be great for writers to back up their stuff on a good server (gmail, yahoo...).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Flash
Official Dog Handler


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 11120
Location: Arizona USA

PostPosted: Sun 29 May 2005, 10:23    Post subject:  

Mathiasdm wrote:
I'm planning to make a Linux distribution for writers (based on Puppy). If someone could make such a thing, it would be great for writers to back up their stuff on a good server (gmail, yahoo...).

That sounds like a good idea. An alternate would be multisession Puppy, if it can be made to work reliably on most machines.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Mathiasdm

Joined: 05 May 2005
Posts: 100

PostPosted: Sun 29 May 2005, 12:41    Post subject:  

Well, I'd prefer to do a non-multisession puppy.
A multisession requires at least 128 Mb RAM, and a lot of people (I'm making it mostly for www.nanowrimo.org) write on very old computers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Flash
Official Dog Handler


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 11120
Location: Arizona USA

PostPosted: Mon 30 May 2005, 17:33    Post subject: Re: Save to internet?  

saintlangton wrote:
Just a thought...
<>
How about being able to save data and configuration details to your own personal webspace so you can have your own configuration and data with you anywhere the internet reaches...

I'm thinking that when puppy has booted and connected to the internet there could be a 'change to my puppy' option. This would ask for the URL and password and then would ftp a file across. Puppy would then read this file and update it's configuration accordingly and download the user's data. There would also be a 'save to webspace' option which would ftp the relevant data in a file to the users own webspace.

With this in place Puppy would be awesomely portable - any PC with internet and CD burner could have not only my favorite operating system only a few minutes away but in just another minute or so it would be setup how I like it AND with my data available to hand and updateable...
<>
Chris

I just downloaded SLAX KillBill 5.0.5 and tried it today. I couldn't get it to work (only tried once though,) but I did notice "websave" and "webrestore" options in the boot menu.
Could SLAX be saving its equivalent of a pup001 file to an internet repository?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Guest
Guest


PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun 2005, 06:05    Post subject:  

The idea interests me, what about adding all files to a 7z archive as it offeres the highest compression i have seen. This might make the above suggestion more do-able for people in remote areas on dial up account's and stuff. Cool

To address the security issues in using a yahoo or similar service we could have this program automaticaly encript the 7z archive. Cool

I believe there is already a linux program that is used to store personal files in webmail accounts. If only i could remeber the name. Rolling Eyes

To memory trying to get the program to work reliably was a nightmare, but I think the source code might give us some ideas, it's in sourceforge somewhere. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0623s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0034s) ][ GZIP on ]