Save to internet?

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
saintlangton

Save to internet?

#1 Post by saintlangton »

Just a thought...

Puppy Linux rocks - you can just take a CD (or USB pen or Download of a few minutes and burn to cd/pendrive) and you have your operating system with you.

The save data to rewriteable CD is a cool feature - take your operating system AND your data on a CD.

How about being able to save data and configuration details to your own personal webspace so you can have your own configuration and data with you anywhere the internet reaches...

I'm thinking that when puppy has booted and connected to the internet there could be a 'change to my puppy' option. This would ask for the URL and password and then would ftp a file across. Puppy would then read this file and update it's configuration accordingly and download the user's data. There would also be a 'save to webspace' option which would ftp the relevant data in a file to the users own webspace.

With this in place Puppy would be awesomely portable - any PC with internet and CD burner could have not only my favorite operating system only a few minutes away but in just another minute or so it would be setup how I like it AND with my data available to hand and updateable...

I'm new to Linux as a whole and Puppy especially (I downloaded and booted Puppy for the first time today :D ) so I apologise if this doesn't make much sense but it sounds good to me.

Chris

Rhino

#2 Post by Rhino »

Funny you should mention that...I was thinking about a similar idea earlier today. Cool. That would be great, that way you could even do incremental backups of your files. I'm not sure about the speed limitations of uploading files to the internet, but it shouldn't be too prohibitive. Unfortunately most typical home users don't have lots of free web space sitting around with good monthly data transfer allowances.

Where would a person find cheap web space with large,fast, reliable data transfer? Any ideas ;-) I know yahoo and others give you some space, but they make it somewhat difficult to move files there and get them back and there is limited bandwidth with them.

I remember seeing a commercial during the Super Bowl for Godaddy.com
Maybe I can check it out.

And by the way...WELCOME TO PUPPY! :D

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Rhino wrote:<>
I know yahoo and others give you some space, but they make it somewhat difficult to move files there and get them back and there is limited bandwidth with them.
<>
Yahoo gives you 1GB free storage. I don't know what the speed limits are but people send 1~2 MB pictures to my Yahoo mail which download very fast. I think it would work fine to store Puppy configuration settings and such on Yahoo. Large files, maybe not.

Mathiasdm

#4 Post by Mathiasdm »

I'm planning to make a Linux distribution for writers (based on Puppy). If someone could make such a thing, it would be great for writers to back up their stuff on a good server (gmail, yahoo...).

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Mathiasdm wrote:I'm planning to make a Linux distribution for writers (based on Puppy). If someone could make such a thing, it would be great for writers to back up their stuff on a good server (gmail, yahoo...).
That sounds like a good idea. An alternate would be multisession Puppy, if it can be made to work reliably on most machines.

Mathiasdm

#6 Post by Mathiasdm »

Well, I'd prefer to do a non-multisession puppy.
A multisession requires at least 128 Mb RAM, and a lot of people (I'm making it mostly for www.nanowrimo.org) write on very old computers.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: Save to internet?

#7 Post by Flash »

saintlangton wrote:Just a thought...
<>
How about being able to save data and configuration details to your own personal webspace so you can have your own configuration and data with you anywhere the internet reaches...

I'm thinking that when puppy has booted and connected to the internet there could be a 'change to my puppy' option. This would ask for the URL and password and then would ftp a file across. Puppy would then read this file and update it's configuration accordingly and download the user's data. There would also be a 'save to webspace' option which would ftp the relevant data in a file to the users own webspace.

With this in place Puppy would be awesomely portable - any PC with internet and CD burner could have not only my favorite operating system only a few minutes away but in just another minute or so it would be setup how I like it AND with my data available to hand and updateable...
<>
Chris
I just downloaded SLAX KillBill 5.0.5 and tried it today. I couldn't get it to work (only tried once though,) but I did notice "websave" and "webrestore" options in the boot menu.
Could SLAX be saving its equivalent of a pup001 file to an internet repository?

#8 Post by Guest »

The idea interests me, what about adding all files to a 7z archive as it offeres the highest compression i have seen. This might make the above suggestion more do-able for people in remote areas on dial up account's and stuff. 8)

To address the security issues in using a yahoo or similar service we could have this program automaticaly encript the 7z archive. 8)

I believe there is already a linux program that is used to store personal files in webmail accounts. If only i could remeber the name. :roll:

To memory trying to get the program to work reliably was a nightmare, but I think the source code might give us some ideas, it's in sourceforge somewhere. :roll: