Wifi in puppy v 3.98 not working (puppy 4 beta)

petty

Wifi in puppy v 3.98 not working (puppy 4 beta)

#1 Post by petty »

Hi,

I am testing the last version 3.98.
it looks very nice and is working fine.

I heave one problem and that is the Wireless-connection.

My AP has WPA2 and WPA/AES..
WPA2 is not working and WPA/AES does not excist for so far I can see.
Scanning for Ap's gives me a full list of excisting AP's, so the driver is active.
So it also could be a problem in Puppy.

Perhaps it is a setting-problem. I tries all the settings and it is not working.
Spec of my laptop:
- Intel Centrino Duo T7100,
- Intel Pro Wireless 3945 ABG

I hope this help You (and me) to solve the problem.

My gratulations for such a good work.

Grtz.

Petty

PS: it works nice in puppy 3.01

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

You should be testing 4.00 beta2.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

mark2

#3 Post by mark2 »

Dingo beta 2, 3.99, Upgrade.

Another wireless problem here, with the bcm43xx

worked in 2.1, worked with 2.15 and 3.01 with the firmware pet,

Tried network setup wizard, appears to load bcm43xx module, no new network interface found , tried ndiswrapper same result.

Rebooted with pfix=ram and tried once more, with the same results.

Any suggestions, how can I help the developers to resolve this?

edit - also tried with another wireless card using the r8180 chipset, again no new network interface found.
[img]http://www.markamos.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/yxudnslbsx.png[/img]
www.crowncarcare.co.uk

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

mark2,
4.00beta2 has the same kernel and modules as 3.01, so it should work.

If it doesn't, then we need to look at the Network Wizard. Now, this Wizard has been updated by various contributors, not me, so I am reliant on others to fix any problems.

Okay, there is one thing that you can try. As your networking works in 3.01, you could try reverting to the same Network Wizard as used in 3.01.
If you go to the ibiblio.org Puppy download site, go to 'pet_packages-3' directory, download the 'net_setup-3.01.pet' package.

Expand the net_setup package somewhere:
# pet2tgz net_setup-3.01.pet
# tar -zxf net_setup-3.01.tar.gz

Examine the directories, rename the original files and directories then drag the new replacements to their target destinations. You can uninstall it by deleting what you have dragged and renaming back to the originals.

Try the Network Wizard, pleased let me know if it works. If we find that this works, a quick hack will be to offer a choice of old or new Wizard in 4.00.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

One other thing to check, is the firmware loaded in /lib/firmware?
In the case of bcm43, there should be files starting with bcm43* in that directory.

Wellesfargo

wireless troubles

#6 Post by Wellesfargo »

mark2 wrote:Dingo beta 2, 3.99, Upgrade.

Another wireless problem here, with the bcm43xx

worked in 2.1, worked with 2.15 and 3.01 with the firmware pet,

Tried network setup wizard, appears to load bcm43xx module, no new network interface found , tried ndiswrapper same result.

Rebooted with pfix=ram and tried once more, with the same results.

Any suggestions, how can I help the developers to resolve this?

edit - also tried with another wireless card using the r8180 chipset, again no new network interface found.

I have Dell notebook with the same chipset. I have found that I have to modify the rc.network script to NOT DOWN the interface. I have changed all the downs to up. Apparently my chipset doesnt refresh fast enough during the script. Hope that helps.

kirk

#7 Post by kirk »

Barry wanted success stories too:

My IPW2200 wifi card is working fine.

The bcm43xx has been a problem. My wife's laptop has one, it worked with a dotpup from Tempestuous in 2.13, did not work with 3.01, haven't tried it with Dingo yet. There's a couple different modules and different firmware depending on which revision you have. See this:

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drive ... efullstory

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#8 Post by Béèm »

Up to now I migrated from alpha to alpha and now beta through the version upgrade. My network (ipw2100) always did run.
I had to start with a clean beta 2, so with pfix=ram.

The network interface eth0 is created, the scan sees the AP, which is WEP protected and I gave the WEP key.

When testing eth0 I got the message: no live network could be found.
With Pwireless I have the same thing.

I am willing to revert to the 3.01 NW Wizard, but I am confused.
These are the instructions

Code: Select all

If you go to the ibiblio.org Puppy download site, go to 'pet_packages-3' directory, download the 'net_setup-3.01.pet' package.

Why can't I install directly the pet?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#9 Post by BarryK »

Béèm,
I instructed to do it manually so that you can easily revert back to the latest wizard after testing the one from 3.01.

petty

#10 Post by petty »

BarryK wrote:You should be testing 4.00 beta2.
Hi BarryK,
I installed beta 2, same problem.

Grtz.

Petty

petty

#11 Post by petty »

BarryK wrote:mark2,

If it doesn't, then we need to look at the Network Wizard. Now, this Wizard has been updated by various contributors, not me, so I am reliant on others to fix any problems.

Okay, there is one thing that you can try. As your networking works in 3.01, you could try reverting to the same Network Wizard as used in 3.01.

Examine the directories, rename the original files and directories then drag the new replacements to their target destinations. You can uninstall it by deleting what you have dragged and renaming back to the originals.

Try the Network Wizard, pleased let me know if it works. If we find that this works, a quick hack will be to offer a choice of old or new Wizard in 4.00.
Hi BarryK,

I installed net_setup-3.01.pet, and did a reboot to be sure all was set. ( I did a pet-install, on live CD and saved the 2fs.).
I is not working for me with the Intel Pro/wireless 3945 ABG.
I tried it again in v. 3.01. No problem, it works nice.
I hope this will help You to solve the problem.

Petty

I worked further.
v 3.99
With Pwireless I can see a connection on the router.
iwconfig gives me an encrypion like NNN-NNNN-NNNN-NNNN-NNNN-0000-0
(N all "0--9")
route after dhcpcd gives no connection. System gives a success.
For 3.01
Encryption key:XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX Security mode:open (X all characters)
This is working, it is done with WPA/TSK, route ok.
It looks like a problem in WPA/PSK or WPA2. Where can i find this to investigate the problem?

Getz.
petty
Last edited by petty on Thu 24 Apr 2008, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#12 Post by BarryK »

I'm afraid not. There's no information to give me any clue as to why it doesn't work for you in 4.00beta2.
My own tests with wireless so far in 4.00beta2 are successful.

petty

#13 Post by petty »

BarryK wrote:

I'm afraid not. There's no information to give me any clue as to why it doesn't work for you in 4.00beta2.
====
I got a connection after 2 hours probing and testing. Unfortunately the sytsem went down and I had no chance to save it. (so it can be done wih v 3.98.).
To help me out: which files can I examine to find out what the problem is, so I can feed You with info to solve the problem?
Up to now: scanning via the network wizard finds all the AP's which are active. I use WPA/AES + WPA2 on my AP. Ifconfig and iwconfig see the WiFI-card.
I put in the password as text and as hex. Both not working. In Pnetwork (?) I can see the command. I tried it as wel. I will keep You informed with my progress, If any.
Success with the project, it is very nice to see what has been accomplished.
PS: I can connect with no encryption. With the browser I can see URL's on the internet with a open system.

25 april 2008

It seems I found the problem.
I replaced all the file with the files from net_setup-3.00.pet.
The file ndiswrapper_GUI.sh is a perl-file and is not overwritten by the to copy file frim puppy 3.00. I deleted that separately.
I tried it now 3 times and it is working. So I hope it will stay so. I will keep You informed.

Grtz.
Petty
Last edited by petty on Fri 25 Apr 2008, 12:06, edited 2 times in total.

barriew

#14 Post by barriew »

BarryK wrote:mark2,

Barry

I didn't exactly do as above, instead I still have 3.01 on a separate partition, so copied net-setup.sh from that. There was no difference - still no IP obtained. Further investigation using Pwireless and examining dhcpcd-info revealed the following.

On booting, the IP is set to 127.0.0.1, after running the network wizard, the IP gets set to an address in the range 169.254.x.x. Pwireless correctly obtains the IP 192.168.0.3 and sets dhcpcd-info to this value.

Barrie

petty

#15 Post by petty »

petty wrote:
BarryK wrote:

====
I got a connection after 2 hours probing and testing. Unfortunately the sytsem went down and I had no chance to save it. (so it can be done wih v 3.98.).
To help me out: which files can I examine to find out what the problem is, so I can feed You with info to solve the problem?
Up to now: scanning via the network wizard finds all the AP's which are active. I use WPA/AES + WPA2 on my AP. Ifconfig and iwconfig see the WiFI-card.
I put in the password as ndiswrappertext and as hex. Both not working. In Pnetwork (?) I can see the command. I tried it as wel. I will keep You informed with my progress, If any.
Success with the project, it is very nice to see what has been accomplished.
PS: I can connect with no encryption. With the browser I can see URL's on the internet with a open system.

25 april 2008

It seems I found the problem.
I replaced all the file with the files from net_setup-3.00.pet.
The file ndiswrapper.sh is a perl-file and is not overwritten by the to copy file frim puppy 3.00. I deleted that separately.
I tried it now 3 times and it is working. So I hope it will stay so. I will keep You informed.

Grtz.
Petty
I think I found it.
I reproduced a fresh install with 3.98 (beta 2)
After deleting /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper (perl file) it works..
So it works now. Can anybody explain me why it works now?

Grtz.

Petty[/b][/i]

joeenfield

Intel Pro Wireless 3945 Not Working in puppy 3.99

#16 Post by joeenfield »

I am currently using Puppy 2.17 on a Lenovo T60 with an Intel wireless 3945 nic. In this configuration ruIT connects to the Internet solidly.

However, when I boot the 3.99 (or any 3.0x) versions of Puppy, the wireless card does not work.

The T60 has a wireless L.E.D.. that lights up when the wireless is connected. with the 2.17 version of puppy this led is a solid green. When I use the 3.0x+ versions of Puppy, and try to connect wirelessly, the wireless L.E.D. blinks extremely rapidly.

the 3.0x wireless gui does see my wireless (as <hidden>). It even says successful after DHCP or manually configuring an IP address. But using the test button always fails, and no access through the web browser...

Can anyone give me any insight?

Thank you

KJ

#17 Post by KJ »

joeenfield - I have a similar problem with a couple of kits.

If running 217 or 301 and RutilT, I can get a usable connection even when network wizard says there are no active networks present with a basic scan (advanced scan usually finds more networks) and fails to complete or save the setup. RutilT also sees more networks and seems to connect better that Pwireless (which in the 39X series often sees my network at -78/-95 S/N but will not connect). Of course nothing gets saved.

I've had the best success with Puppy 396 using the .24 kernel (I believe). In that version, I can use the linux wifi drivers and not need to use NDISwrapper which has not worked for me since 216 (kernel/hardware issue also I think as retro versions with kernel .18 work fine). Versions 397, 398, and 399 work to some degree on my newer laptop but the connection (if I make one) drops out a lot.

I'm remaining hopeful as there seems to be several bright and helpful people working on Puppy from a lot of angles. Someone smarter that I will be able to upgrade network wizard and Pwireless's capability to detect and connect on par with RutilT.

KJ

HairyWill

Re: Intel Pro Wireless 3945 Not Working in puppy 3.99

#18 Post by HairyWill »

joeenfield wrote:the 3.0x wireless gui does see my wireless (as <hidden>
Unless it has been written very carefully a gtkdialog app will choke on the angle brackets for an access point with an ESSID <hidden>.
I know that Pwireless in dingo beta 2 suffers from this.
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

dakiro

encrypted wifi not working

#19 Post by dakiro »

On my pc with a usb pentagram (sis) wifi dongle which is ndiswrapped the connection works no problem at all.

On my old laptop with pcmcia dwl 510 (r8180 driver) it doesn't work - neither with ndiswrapper. It only stopped working after I got the version 4, before that it was ok either. Will try to change the files of the network wizzard.