Need a CD duplicator that works

Using applications, configuring, problems
goncal

Need a CD duplicator that works

#1 Post by goncal »

Hello

I was trying to duplicate a CD yesterday in the small hours and Roast, Graveman and the rest of packages shipped with Puppy (and also the rest of dotpups I found and downloaded) refused to work.

I did manage to burn an ISO image with the ISO burner shipped with Puppy, but whenever I try to duplicate a CD I have the following 2 issues:

* duplicate from CD burner to CD burner - seems to work OK as the system first reads and copies the CD onto HD - but at the end of it up comes a write error.

* duplicate from DVD reader to CD burner - will just not read the original CD.

However I can use this DVD reader to boot Puppy and to read other CD's and can mount it using the Media utility.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I do not feel like going back to Windoze XP and its Nero which I must say worked rather well (the latter).

Thanks

Gon

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Is it possible you don't have enough room on your hard drive to store the contents of the CD you're trying to copy? The copying program ought to check for that, but you never know....

Try copying a CD that only has a few bits on it, e.g., a Puppy live CD.

#3 Post by Guest »

Hi Flash

That should apparently not be the case as I have over 300MB free on /tmp and I was only trying to duplicate a Puppy boot CD at 65MB...

Cheers

Gon

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

you can make an iso file something like this:
cat /dev/hdc > puppy.iso
but the read-ahead bug may prevent it from working (you would get a read error message)

a workaround would be to use dd:
dd if=/dev/cdrom bs=2048 count=211780 > puppy.iso
you need to know the size of the filesystem though

if you know the size of the iso, it is the size in bytes divided by 2048

you can mount the cd and find the size using df ... the size of the file system in 2048 byte blocks is the size of 1k-blocks divided by 2

if everything worked perfectly, and there was no read-ahead bug, you could do things like this:

md5sum < /dev/hdc
cat /dev/hdc > puppy.iso
md5sum puppy.iso

and the md5sums would match ... because of things like the read-ahead bug, dd often has to be used as a workaround

#5 Post by Guest »

Thanks a lot GuestToo, which is the read-ahead bug?

It is great if I can just create an ISO image from the CD I need to duplicate and then just burn that image to CD.

I will give it a try as soon as I get home, am now on the road in Belgium all week and connecting on a Win98 system at the hotel.

Cheers

Gon

goncal

Managed to burn CD with Graveman... tray opens-closes quikly

#6 Post by goncal »

Hi

I finally managed to duplicate an audio CD with Graveman, I changed the temp directory to another volume and it worked.

However I am using the same unit for reading and burning. When Graveman has just finished reading the source CD, it opens the tray and immediately closes it. Of course it then finds out that the still remaining CD is no good for burning.

I have actually had to force the tray open by pulling at it.

Any solutions?

Regarding creating ISO images with cat... I did try and it worked, excellent... but it would NOT work for an audio CD... how do I create an ISO image file from an audio CD or any other sort of filesystem?

Thanks! cheers - Gon

PeterSieg

X-cdroast (pupget) worked for me..

#7 Post by PeterSieg »

Hi. I also had problems with graveman and therefore I don't like it :roll:
I installed x-cdroast with pupget manager. That did the job just fine...

PS
Have fun :)

hyper

F.Y.I xcdroast

#8 Post by hyper »

I had the same problems , even though my cd burner is new (ATAPI cd/rw)
its cheap and doesnt like LiNuX . No luck with graveman however xcdroast
worked once i changed a few settings in SETUP. Under cd settings i changed
cd writer mode to "generic SCSI-3/mmc" and the default write mode needs tweaking depending on what im burning. To copy a music cd i have to change it to "track to track" , for mp3's "raw 16" Data hasnt been a problem for either
graveman or xcdroast using default settings. have a great day ! 8)