Trouble installing SCIM m17n in Puppy 3.01

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#41 Post by Lobster »

:) One of the most amazing things is finding
a version of Puppy translated and working in a diversity of scripts
and in completely new and diverse ways.

That is why we welcome everyone to participate.
You guys are our strength.

Many people are finding that Puppy in their own language
makes their computer hardware investment worthwhile.

Keep up the great work :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

amitagroyee

#42 Post by amitagroyee »

Thanks a lot Irihapeti and RR Koothady for providing me such a solution and guidance about scim.

I observed the Irihapeti way and succeded.

the steps are: (I am using 3.01 frugal install)

The first route is to install scim-bridge, scim and scim-tables alone as discussed by RR Koothady anywhere in this thread.

after 1st course of installation, nothing happened.
While exploring I found that all the three pet packages are lying in My document.

I once again installed the packages from there. All went well no dependency problem.
I re booted and started using scim.

Thanks once again. I can kick the m$winXp now.

Amit

RR Koothady

#43 Post by RR Koothady »

Thanks Ed for your appreciation.

Happy to know that Amit has also succeeded with हिनदि (Hindi)!

Irihapeti: That looks wonderful. Please tell us how this code can be put inside a pet, so that our scim can become a true "CLICK AND RUN SCIM"?!

Ramesh

Irihapeti

Putting scripts inside .pet files

#44 Post by Irihapeti »

RRK:

The full instructions for putting scripts inside .pets are here:

http://www.puppylinux.com/development/createpet.htm

Note that it contains instructions for inserting stuff into a .pet for which you don't have the original source code. Kudos to Barry for creating a document that a complete newbie (to pet-making) can follow easily.

Irihapeti

RR Koothady

script inclusion

#45 Post by RR Koothady »

Irihapeti:

I did the following. Nothing happens at: /etc/gtk2/immodules and ~/.xinitrc after this. I think I have gone wrong somewhere...

Ramesh
Attachments
scim install scripts.png
(135.64 KiB) Downloaded 1215 times

Irihapeti

#46 Post by Irihapeti »

RRK:

I think the problem is that the scripts aren't executable. Either use

Code: Select all

chmod +x pinstall.sh
chmod +x puninstall.sh
in a terminal, or use the "executable" check boxes in the properties dialogue. Then the labels under the icons will be in green text, not black.

You can then test them by clicking on them, and they should work.

jojonouvo

#47 Post by jojonouvo »

Hello, I installed scim using this way:
Irihapeti:

Thanks very much for sharing scim-bridge dot pet.

Here are my results:

1. Installed SCIM dot pet.

2. Installed SCIM-Bridge dot pet.

- This showed the following message: "/usr/bin/scim-bridge has these missing lib files: libscim-1.0.so.8"
- However, I could find that file residing in: /usr/local/lib
- Hence I thought, they should be linked: I did the following in the terminal: ln /usr/bin/scim-bridge /usr/local/lib/libscim-1.0.so.8 [I do not know how to symlink and was anxious to rush forward for the time being and hence without reading tried this... is it ok? Do you symlink this way between 2 files?]

3. i) Checked whether table-imengine-setup.so is present at /usr/local/lib/scim-1.0/1.4.0/SetupUI - Answer: NO.
ii) Hence placed that file in that folder.

4) Installed SCIM Tables dot pet.

5) Place the script

Quote:
"/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/immodules/im-scim-bridge.so"
"scim-bridge" "SCIM-Bridge Input Method" "" "" ""

at /etc/gtk-2/immodules

6) Finally:
Just place the following script at ~/.xinitrc - after the PUPSTATE line:

Quote:
GTK_IM_MODULE=scim-bridge
export GTK_IM_MODULE

7) Reboot

Cool a) SCIM "DOES NOT" get invoked when a GTK app is started as it happens in the m17n install method.
b) However, it can be launched from the Terminal by scim -d
c) This is of no use because even after launching, you can not invoke it "within the" applications.

9) Went back to : /etc/gtk-2/immodules - changed the script:
Quote:
"/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/immodules/im-scim.so"
"scim" "SCIM Input Method" "" "" ""

Save.Exit.

10) Back to /.xinitrc. Change script:
Quote:
GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
export GTK_IM_MODULE

Save. Exit.

11) Reboot.

12) Open Geany. Now SCIM gets invoked automatically. Type (after the llanguage fonts are installed at /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF - of course). It works!

13) The surprise: Instead of 41 languages in the m17n way - This supports 19 languages. And to my delight, Tamil is one among them. The languages listed are:

Quote:
Amharic, Arabic, Bengali, Gujarathi, Hindi, Japanese, Kannada, Korean, Malayalam, Nepali, Punjabi, Russian, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Ukranian, Vietnamese, Chinese(simplified), Chinese(Traditional) and of course the Other and the English Key Board.

Compare this with the languages m17n offers:

Quote:
Amharic, Arabic(Egypt),Assamese, Bengali,Tibetian,Danish,Divehi,Greek,English(American),Persian,French,Gujarathi, Hebrew,Hindi, Croatian,Armenian,Japanes,Georgian,Kazak, Cambodian,Kannada, Korean, Loathian, Malayalam,Burmese, Nepali,Oriya, Punjabi,Russian,Sinhala,Slovak,Serbian,Swedish,Telugu,Thai,Uighur,Ukranian,Vietnamese,Chinese(simplified), Chinese(traditional)

14) Hence, the folks requiring languages other than what SCIM-Bridge offers, may be advised to go 'm17n' way. Others can use the lighter and the easier "SCIM-Bridge" route.

15) I am in Lobster's Timxxine Puppy (3.01). It has Oo pre installed. However, I am not able to input using this method (scim-bridge) also.

16) So, what is the way?
And it's working with geany for example (I use it for japanese), BUT then I'm unable to launch firefox. If I comment the modified lines in ./xinitrc then firefox works again.

#!/bin/sh
# $Xorg: xinitrc.cpp,v 1.3 2000/08/17 19:54:30 cpqbld Exp $

. /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE

#GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
#export GTK_IM_MODULE 
Oddly seamonkey is not affected at all.. So what do I need to make scim and firefox work together?

MU

#48 Post by MU »

Oddly seamonkey is not affected at all.. So what do I need to make scim and firefox work together?
No idea, but you could deactivate scim for firefox only.

You could search the firefox startscript:
which firefox

Then edit it.
After the first line (#!/bin/bash) add 2 new lines.

GTK_IM_MODULE=
export GTK_IM_MODULE
Or maybe this one line:

unset GTK_IM_MODULE
Then Firefox should not use scim.
Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

jojonouvo

#49 Post by jojonouvo »

Thank you Mark but alas my goal is to use scim with firefox :cry:
(I'm using puppy version 3)
Maybe I need to reinstall everything, but even after browsing those four pages of instructions several times, the steps remain very unclear for my poor skills..

ipd98

#50 Post by ipd98 »

Ya I have to thank Irihapeti, Juveno, you.... of course all the linux and puppylinux enthusiast Sorry RRK for my late reply because I was searching how to install firefox on Pupeee, but with no luck. My language is Traditional Chinese/Simplified Chinese.

Now then realize even though I can install firefox, it may have issue with scim. Have to find a way to solve the issue or just get used to use SeaMonkey :cry:
RR Koothady wrote:Dear ipd98

Let's thank Irihapeti and Juveno for passionately involving themselves to solve the SCIM issue once and all for Puppy.

It's heartening that SCIM is working well in your eee pc. And, why should I mind for telling me that my instruction is not clear in a place or two? After all, are we not the ones who are going to write a crystal clear instruction in Puppy wiiki on SCIM soon? That is - after we test and get used to scim in Puppy for may be a month or two?

I am just curious to know your language. I am also curious to know about Amit inputting Hindi in his Puppy. Hope he has also succeeded like you.

Three Cheers to all Puppy Scim-ers!

Ramesh

RR Koothady

#51 Post by RR Koothady »

Hey Friends...

Why worry?

I am already using "our" scim (Irihapeti's Scim-Bridge Route) in Firefox 3.05b for typing Tamil. FF 3.05b was compiled last week and is working without much problem. Amit is also running it successfully for typing Hindi.

Firefox 3.05b dot pet will surely solve your problem. Here is its Download Link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/109493812/f ... 5.pet.html

On Firefox 3.05b, see Amit's and my posts:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=27400

Ramesh

BTW:

Irihapeti: I know your suggestion on making the scrips executable will work. I am now neck deep translating xfce4 into Tamil with "poedit" in Windows XP (tried much to compile it for Puppy but have not succeeded so far...) I will be back again in a week with my reply. So, Please bear with me.

Juveno: How is your French scim going? Please share with us your experience.
Last edited by RR Koothady on Tue 29 Apr 2008, 18:30, edited 2 times in total.

RR Koothady

#52 Post by RR Koothady »

Dear Jojonouvo

Can you please tell us clearly what your exact problem is?

Here is what I understand from your post:

1. You have installed scim dot pets successfully.
2. You have put the necessary scripts in /etc/gtk-2/gtkimmodules and .xinitrc files.
3. Those scripts contain the words scim-bridge.
4. With these words scim works with Geany but not in Firefox.
5. When you change it from scim-bridge to plain "scim" Firefox accepts scim.
6. But you are unable to type in Firefox (FF).

Have I got you right?

Irihapeti had suggested the word scim-bridge. But it didn't work for me. I changed it in both the scripts to scim. Then it worked.

My Language is Tamil (of South India). Its fonts are not rendered in the proper sequence in FF. Abiword too does not render it correctly. But now with the release of FF 3.05b and Abi 2.6.2 this issue has been settled once and for all. So I decided to make a dot pet. But alas! I am a novice and I have not done this before... So what to do? Just play some reverse engineering...

I converted the available old FF dot pet to tgz and studied its file contents. Simply "aped" its file structure to create 3.05b dot pet. Luckily I succeeded and got a morale boost!!

At the end of installation, it warns us about many missing dependencies but ha..haa.. our 3.05b FF works fine however!!

I have not tried our scim in older FF. I am using 3.05b with scim over the last 1 week without any problem.

So, please try it. Share with us your results. And let's have a hearty successful laugh together...

Ramesh

Irihapeti

#53 Post by Irihapeti »

I don't know how useful this is, but I'll mention it anyway. I also use Ubuntu, in which I have installed scim and scim-bridge. In that OS I run Firefox - the official version straight from Mozilla, not Ubuntu's modification - currently 2.0.0.14 and I can type Chinese characters in Firefox dialogue boxes. To me, this suggests that it can be got to work in Puppy.

RRK:
I got the words "scim-bridge" for the .xinitrc file from the scim-bridge documentation. It seems that there's some subtle difference between 2.17 and 3.01 - at least, that's the explanation that makes most sense to me at the moment.

jojonouvo

#54 Post by jojonouvo »

Hello and sorry for replying late.
Dear Jojonouvo

Can you please tell us clearly what your exact problem is?

Here is what I understand from your post:

1. You have installed scim dot pets successfully.
2. You have put the necessary scripts in /etc/gtk-2/gtkimmodules and .xinitrc files.
I did those.
3. Those scripts contain the words scim-bridge.
They contained the word scim alone, I replaced it with scim-bridge but with no results even with geany.
4. With these words scim works with Geany but not in Firefox.
5. When you change it from scim-bridge to plain "scim" Firefox accepts scim.
6. But you are unable to type in Firefox (FF).
The problem is that whatever the words, as long as these two lines

#GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
#export GTK_IM_MODULE 
are not commented firefox will just not launch.

I installed the firefox3 pet which installed successfully but did not launch as well even with the commented lines, I'm now again on firefox2. :?
What should I try?

RR Koothady

Japanese SCIM

#55 Post by RR Koothady »

Dear jojonouvo

Here is a screen shot. I was able to type Japanese in FF 3. Katakana keyboard. Other keyboards are also working. Installed Font - Code 2000 - a shareware font from:
http://www.code2000.net/code2000_page.htm

After Firefox was started, I went to Edit - Preferences (of FF menu bar) - then: changed in Content - the default font to Code 2000 . Then closed FF and restarted it. SCIM is initiated. Then - Ctrl - Space to select Language and Keyboard. Then type.

I do not know Japanese. So, please bear with me for any mistakes with the words that I tried typing.

I am using a customized Puppy 3.01 with Xfce Window Manager with Thunar File System.

Ramesh

jojonouvo

#56 Post by jojonouvo »

Ramesh, thank you so much for your kind help. I tried several installs of FF3, including yours and this one: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 1158697506
But never has FF3 managed to launch itself, even if I uninstalled FF2 before...

Swarup

#57 Post by Swarup »

RR Koothady wrote:Hey Friends...

Why worry?

I am already using "our" scim (Irihapeti's Scim-Bridge Route) in Firefox 3.05b for typing Tamil. FF 3.05b was compiled last week and is working without much problem. Amit is also running it successfully for typing Hindi.
I am about to install Puppy to my hard drive, and need to be able to use it with SCIM for typing Hindi. So it is very good news indeed that one can use SCIM for typing Hindi in puppy. :)

Two questions:

1. I do A LOT of Hindi typing, and am quite accustomed to the Hindi keymap which I use. Currently I use it in Ubuntu with SCIM under m17n. It is a keymap modeled on the Windows Baraha program, and installs in the m17n folder in Ubuntu. My question is: Will I be able to install this keymap (called hi-baraha) file into the SCIM-bridge which you have working? If so, it will appear in the SCIM menu under Hindi.

2. In order to use SCIM, does it matter whether I do a frugal or a full HD install?

Irihapeti

#58 Post by Irihapeti »

Swarup:

I have scim and scim-bridge running on Puppy 2.17 with a frugal install. I would imagine that a full install would work just as well.

RRK and jojonouvo:

I can't get Firefox 3 to run at all, with or without scim installed. I'm using the official version from Mozilla, partly because it's easier to update and partly because I can use the same package on my Ubuntu system. (I'm on dialup and prefer to avoid unnecessary downloads.)

I get the message:

./firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libjemalloc.so: cannot handle TLS data
which I've seen elsewhere. If someone could tell me what library I need to update that would be great.

I am able to use scim (with scim-bridge) successfully in Firefox 2.0.0.14 (Mozilla version).

Swarup

#59 Post by Swarup »

Irihapeti wrote:Swarup:

I have scim and scim-bridge running on Puppy 2.17 with a frugal install. I would imagine that a full install would work just as well.
Thanks for the tip.

And if anyone has any further info on whether I will be able to install a keymap file that was used in m17n in SCIM (in Ubuntu), in the SCIM/SCIM-bridge of puppy, that would be so helpful.

Swarup

#60 Post by Swarup »

Wow. I've just finished reading this entire thread. You people have sure done a wonderful job, and you really have been working very hard. I am inspired by all the work that is going into making Puppy highly usable in multiple languages.

I'm using an older laptop (1999 Gateway 9300 with celeron 433 chip and 256 Ram), and have been using SCIM with OOo Writer in Ubuntu for the past year, for typing Hindi. It works correctly, but is slow. Because of that, I am thinking to slim down to a small distro for this work. I've installed four distros (Puppy 4.0 frugal, Tinyflux, AntiX, Fluxbuntu) on my backup 10 GB HD, and am experimenting to see which can work best for this work of Hindi typing. I'd like to do it in Abiword if it will work, since it will be faster. And I need to be able to have someone else view the work vie Remote Desktop, which I understand is available for Puppy as well.

I am very excited about the prospect that Puppy may perhaps be the best candidate of the four distros. It has such excellent support on these forums, and I see that SCIM is indeed working which is fantastic.

Three questions:

1. Ramesh and Amit had discussed the idea that Irihapeti's technique using SCIM-bridge is easier, and although limited to 19 languages, Hindi is among them. But then someone on the forum wrote in that the files for that method are no longer available for download. So I find myself a bit confused as to what is actually the currently recommended installation method, if one wants to type in Hindi.

2. And whichever of the two methods is currently recommended, could you please point me to exactly which post on this thread I am to go to for the instructions. There has been so much back and forth over the course of this thread, that I am confused as to which set of instructions to follow. I can follow and do what needs to be done, if it is in a single set of instructions. I'm using Puppy 4.0.

Has the approved method been condensed on this thread into a single "HowTo" of sorts? There seemed to be a lot of addenda about missing files and cross-linking from different folders, so I was unsure if everything that needs to be done can be found in one place in this thread.

3. If I am to follow the SCIM-Bridge technique, then I need to know if I will be able to install a Hindi table which I always use, and which in Ubuntu gets installed into the m17n folder. Can I install this table in SCIM-Bridge, even though it is not using m17n? I just don't know enough about m17n to know whether it is a unique format or whether what is made for it can also be used even if m17n is not getting installed.

Thanks so much in advance for the help. You are all doing such a wonderful job, which will be of use to millions of people! :)