Wot's your Pup?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Lobster
Official Crustacean

Wot's your Pup?

#1 Post by Lobster »

Good to hear that Puppy 1.0.3 is to be available for June 29. Tee hee . . .

Wonderful that we are now settling on Linux Vector to compile on. I am gonna download version 5.00 and install it on a hard drive. I am lucky enough to have 5 hard disks. Personaly not too trusting of partitioning. Or rather not to trusting of my abilities to have a stable environment, unless installing on separate HD. Sooner or later I manage to have OS drift. One of the reasons (another is to get good at setting up Pup) I wipe the slate clean with each new Puppy.

I know Barry (and GuestToo) have priorities for the system developents they implement but what I wonder do others wish to see?

My abiding interest, that can only be implemented well with a small distro, is the MS Pup (Multi-Session)

I am using PizzaPup (hey that IceWM on boot up is just too smooth to resist and the default option is great) I am using the final release Pizzapup and used it to pull in and save the pup001 (the Puppy save everything in one lump file) that was being used with 1.0.2. It is interesting that Pizzasgood used John Murgas boot options for his implementation. Any other Puplets in development? Server Puplet? Art of Puppy? Hey John - any news of that Puppy compiler distro? What is it called again? Linux Tmxxine? (or did I dream that?)

Barry has made (as much as possible) Puppy able to use 2.4 and 2.6 kernels. Hooray.

Yesterday I managed to set up a quick chat in yahoo messenger with Rhino and I think I may have set up ICQ too with GAIM. If you are just gonna use IRC - and you can do a lot with that, then Xchat is very comprehensive. Gaim uses some of the diverse IM (instant Messenger) services - including Jabber which is our long term aim for PuppyChat (Jabber is an Open Source IM)

I also tried running Mplayer to play "Ground Hog Day" - it seemed to default to Spanish. Asta La Vista baby!

I am now gonna scamper off and see if I can get Gambas working. If I can't a few well aimed yelps at GuestToo might result in a Gambas dotpup . . .

The forum has proved very reliable and fast.

Hey are we having fun yet?
Last edited by Lobster on Sun 29 May 2005, 19:22, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

I have a gambas PupGet, it was announced on News page, not uploaded yet, and too big to post here -- about 4M I think.
...ah, no, 1.5M compressed tarball.

Okay, I'm uploading it to ibiblio.org right now.
Get it from here:
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... packages-1

I took all the documentation out... hope that doesn't prevent it from running.

After downloading, run PupGet and choose "Install alien package" (coz it's not yet part of the official Unleashed suite).

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#3 Post by GuestToo »

if you change the unleashed dir on the ibiblio server in any way, my Unleashed downloader will no longer work ... because it tests the md5sums of all the files

maybe adding a file to the dir won't affect it

if there was an md5sum file on the server it would be ok ... then my downloader could use that to check the md5sums

maybe i'm paranoid, but i never assume something downloaded properly

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Gambas - shrimp powered

#4 Post by Lobster »

It works. It works with Puppy official 1.0.2 - the install with pupget in the recent pizzapup does not work (it uses an earlier script with no install for alien packages). I assume John Murghas 1.0.2 Opera Puplet will work.

I am now using Puppy001 BUT booting up sometimes with the 2.4 kernel of Pizzapup - sometimes 2.6 kernel

That means they are compatible . . .

However the mouse which was working, locks up (does not work) and I have to go to prompt (ctrl + alt + backspace) and follow the instructions there.

To del a file use rm

Gambas seems great. Sadly it is a little big for Puppy but may find its way into the developers edition. For those wishing to learn programming another great possibility to create and design full modern Linux GUI compiled programs in a BASIC langauge Gambas is perfect. Thanks Barry ;)

You lucky Puppys!