IceWM Themes Exchange

Themes, icons, wallpapers, etc.
Eyes-Only

#61 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hats off to you Botanic! You likewise did an incredible piece of work here! C'est vraiment incroyable mon copain Puppien! :shock: One could easily believe that they are using KDE, moreso than most other IceWM themes which I have seen made to "look like KDE" in the past.

Did you also make a ROX icon pack to go with this which is available separately? I am one who likes making ROX icon packs which makes it very easy to change themes with a mouse-click in ROX options. I store mine in "/root/.icons".

I'm not in Puppy at the moment (just came from using it all day) but I have downloaded the file and can't wait to try it!

Encore, c'est completement incroyable et fantastique! Bien fait! BRAVO!

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

Botanic

#62 Post by Botanic »

package updated, see main post.

I added the menu icons and the skeleton of its structure, so that everybody can create their "KDE" menu :)
Anybody as an idea how to replace a line with another using a script? it looks like it's doable but i'm not an expert :oops:
i would like to replace <Option name="icon_theme">ROX</Option> with <Option name="icon_theme">IceKDEicons</Option> in /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/Options, so that the theme is already installed after restarting X
Puppy 2.16 on HP Vectra VL400 - PIII 800 MHz - 320M RAM
Wary on Acer Aspire X3200 - Phenom X4 - 2.2GHz - 4G RAM

HairyWill

#63 Post by HairyWill »

Code: Select all

sed -i 's/^<Option name="icon_theme">ROX<\/Option>$/<Option name="icon_theme">IceKDEicons<\/Option>/' myfile.txt
note this matches exact lines only, if there are any characters before or after the text that you want to replace you will need to remove the ^ and $ symbols that match the line ends.

man sed
sed oneliners
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

WhoDo

#64 Post by WhoDo »

Botanic wrote:IceKDE-1.6
PS: the menu skeleton as shown in the screenshot is in ~/.icewm/menu_icekde, you can edit it to add your apps and rename it as menu to use it. Note, the first entry ("Settings") isn't in the "menu" file but is automatically added by IceWM, and i didn't find a way to get rid of it... :(
***WARNING***
A word of caution here. This theme overwrites your /root/.icewm/preferences and /root/.icewm/prefoverride files and you cannot get them back. Make a backup copy first before installing the theme.

@Botanic
I understand why you've added the preferences and prefoverride files in the dotpet, but it should be possible to use the theme without having to reconstruct things afterwards ... especially since the version I installed also got rrid of the Menu>Settings>Themes sub-menu so I couldn't simply change it back to something else! I prefer the choice to go back to where I was without losing my preferences and settings.

That said, the theme looks great, the icons work in well with the theme, too. I didn't get the heading "All Applications" at the top of the 1st level menu or the menu icons, as in your screenshot, though.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Botanic

#65 Post by Botanic »

WhoDo wrote:***WARNING***
A word of caution here. This theme overwrites your /root/.icewm/preferences and /root/.icewm/prefoverride files and you cannot get them back. Make a backup copy first before installing the theme.
that was a mistake of course :)- preferences shouldn't be touched - i corrected it just now and re-uploaded. prefoverride is added and the previous is renamed into a .bak file
WhoDo wrote:I didn't get the heading "All Applications" at the top of the 1st level menu or the menu icons, as in your screenshot, though.
i think because you downloaded it before i re-uploaded it the first time. dotpup.sh was buggy, and the menu icons were missing (/root/icewm/themes/IceKDE/icons)

Botanic

#66 Post by Botanic »

@HairyWill
thanks for the tip. i realized afterwards that i needed something that would replace any theme already set
so i came up with something, thanks to your second link
# substitute "foo" with "bar" ONLY for lines which contain "baz"
sed '/baz/s/foo/bar/g'

Code: Select all

icontheme=`grep icon_theme Options | cut -d '>' -f 2 | cut -d '<' -f 1`
sed -i '/name="icon_theme"/s/'$icontheme'/IceKDEicons/g' Options

magerlab

#67 Post by magerlab »

the kde -like theme is very fine!
looks good on eeepc
and is t it possible to have change theme menu item back?

i like icewm very much
but have problems with russian letters in window titles
do not know why

Botanic

#68 Post by Botanic »

magerlab wrote:the kde -like theme is very fine!
looks good on eeepc
and is t it possible to have change theme menu item back?
your menu isn't changed after install... what item are you referring to?
magerlab wrote:i like icewm very much
but have problems with russian letters in window titles
do not know why
I also have (e.g. in Geany), but gave up trying to fix it. It has to do with locales and charsets :) but i guess all the configuration (including apps, keyboard etc.) must be set to russian to have titles in russian and so forth...

WhoDo

#69 Post by WhoDo »

Botanic wrote:your menu isn't changed after install... what item are you referring to?
Mine was. Try Menu > Settings > Themes where you'll normally find a list of alternate themes to run. In your KDE 1.6 that menu item just ain't there!
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

wolfwatcher51

#70 Post by wolfwatcher51 »

Hello all,
Strange thing happened yesterday. I posted a reply, fairly involved, and after submitting it I clicked to view post and read it. When I came back to see if I had any replies, it was gone. I can not imagine there was anything in it that would have offended anybody and require deleting. I can log in, so not banned....strange.

Anyway, to ask for help again. On page four of this thread WhoDo has a screenshot of his new theme, Dark Saphire...WOW NICE!

I very much want to have a setup just like his. From my reading and looking, I will need mrvxt for the transparent console, Wbar for the icon bar (if that is what it is called), HotPup for the drive graphics and Gdesklets for the calendar, weather and clock.

I have found the .pets for hotpup and mrvxt and installed them. Funny, now that I see mrxvt I realize that when I installed fat free 301, the desktop icon was calling for mrvxt and I changed it to rvxt. So, I changed it back to mrxvt.

Hotpup seems to be displaying fine. What is the procedure to use it to mount or unmount a drive? I tried eject to unmount and got an error, then somehow got the window asking to leave, unmount, or whatever. I probably did not use the correct procedure?

Mrvxt also installed fine and I got the desktop icon to open it. The top bar looks like WhoDo's, but is not shaped or transparent like his. How do I accomplish this?

Finally, I have read a bit on Wbar, but still do not quite get it. I found a tarball and I think I know how to get it uncompressed, but then not sure. A post by Dougal says I will need to make a config file and that is why imlib2 is included. Then warnings to use wbar help to see how to use it as you need to supply options when you first start it. Also, the -above-desk need seems to be a maybe yes, maybe no.

I am so noob and, frankly, not one to just punch buttons and hope. If you do not know how to do something, what chance do you have to unscrew it up? So, could y'all please help with explicit instructions so I can get started. Once installed and working, I can then experiment and see more. Just me, but too late to change now :)

Any chance some kind sole has put everything needed to get wbar installed and ready to go into a .pet? I think that would help alot.

Two last things, in looking into my "eye candy project" I have seen some things that have apparently grown into some other things or been incorporated into some thing, like EZpup, so are kind of out dated. So, how can i search for things and restrict the results to 2007-2008?
Apparently icedock is disabled in EZpup by default, but enabled in muppy. How can I enable it to see what it is and rather I want it or not? The screenshots I have seen are not that clear. I am guessing it is a preconfigured display similar to gdesklets?

Thanks in advance, I am sure your help will be used by a lot more people than just me. Chris.

WhoDo

#71 Post by WhoDo »

wolfwatcher51 wrote:Strange thing happened yesterday. I posted a reply, fairly involved, and after submitting it I clicked to view post and read it. When I came back to see if I had any replies, it was gone. I can not imagine there was anything in it that would have offended anybody and require deleting. I can log in, so not banned....strange.
Used to happen a lot around here. Hasn't for quite a while, but can occasionally. My guess is some sort of timeout issue in uploading the content of your message and the server drops it. Nothing personal.
wolfwatcher51 wrote:Hotpup seems to be displaying fine. What is the procedure to use it to mount or unmount a drive? I tried eject to unmount and got an error, then somehow got the window asking to leave, unmount, or whatever. I probably did not use the correct procedure?
To mount a drive, just click on it and it mounts and opens a Rox window. To unmount, close the window and it asks you if you want to unmount. If you don't unmount the ball on the drive icon turns green so you know it's still mounted. Right click such a mounted drive and you get the unmount option.
wolfwatcher51 wrote:Mrvxt also installed fine and I got the desktop icon to open it. The top bar looks like WhoDo's, but is not shaped or transparent like his. How do I accomplish this?
Open a console and type mrxvt --help and you'll get the start parameters required. Add those to your command on the desktop shortcut. Alternatively, search Puppy Search for Gekko's mrxvt and install that. It has it all pre-scripted for you.
wolfwatcher51 wrote:Finally, I have read a bit on Wbar, but still do not quite get it. I found a tarball and I think I know how to get it uncompressed, but then not sure. A post by Dougal says I will need to make a config file and that is why imlib2 is included. Then warnings to use wbar help to see how to use it as you need to supply options when you first start it. Also, the -above-desk need seems to be a maybe yes, maybe no.
I have posted a Step-by-Step for installing Wbar on our new wiki page. Of course you'll have sign up and login to view it. :P
wolfwatcher51 wrote:Apparently icedock is disabled in EZpup by default, but enabled in muppy. How can I enable it to see what it is and rather I want it or not? The screenshots I have seen are not that clear. I am guessing it is a preconfigured display similar to gdesklets?
Nope. It's entirely different. You can find examples in this thread very early on. To enable icedock and its applications you need to edit your Startup file. Do that by choosing that option from the Quicklaunch menu (the folder icon on your taskbar) or by opening /root/.icewm/startup with a text editor and remove the comment marks (#) from the appropriate lines - icedock, wmpower, wmweather, wmvolume, etc.

Hope that helps.

Botanic

#72 Post by Botanic »

WhoDo wrote:
Botanic wrote:your menu isn't changed after install... what item are you referring to?
Mine was. Try Menu > Settings > Themes where you'll normally find a list of alternate themes to run. In your KDE 1.6 that menu item just ain't there!
right. ShowThemesMenu=0 shouldn't be in prefoverride. i remember setting this when i wanted to get rid of the whole "Settings" entry... :oops: :oops:

so, i reloaded and i guess the theme is ok now
thank you for the feedback

wolfwatcher51

#73 Post by wolfwatcher51 »

WhoDo,

Thank you so much for the quick and informative response. I am so happy with puppy and this forum. You and others are so talented and readily share, amazing, just amazing. THANKS.

Hotpup, got it, thanks.

mrxvt, got it, thanks.

Icedock, instructions look like I can do ok, not tried yet, thanks.

Now, to the wbar instructions. I have gone to the site, registered,received email, used onetime sign in link and set new password, submitted. But, could not login. Tried to login using the email password and got in, welcome wolfwatcher51....but I could only access the home tab. If I tried the wikki it would say access denied, login or register. I tried with every combination of username/email and email and changed password...no go.

So, what am I doing wrong? I even closed all and rebooted this windoze box, and tried explorer rather than fireFox. Still no good. Any input would be greatly appreciated. This is going to be so cool when done. Thanks in advance, Chris.

P.S. Is computers,software and coding a required skill set for living in Australia? :D 8)

prit1

#74 Post by prit1 »

@wolfwatcher51: This is the thread for wbar. You can extract this and move the files to the corresponding folders. At the end of the thread there are several options to customize wbar. Hope this helps.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=19742

WhoDo

#75 Post by WhoDo »

wolfwatcher51 wrote: If I tried the wikki it would say access denied, login or register. I tried with every combination of username/email and email and changed password...no go.
Must have been a development issue. I just went to the site and was able to access the wiki and the specific page without logging in at all. Try again and see how you go. If you have no luck I'll post the full step-by-step here in the HowTo forum.

prit1

#76 Post by prit1 »

Whodo is right, I am able to access the wbar instructions on the new site even without a login or registration. It should work for anyone.

wolfwatcher51

#77 Post by wolfwatcher51 »

Hello WhoDo and prit1,

Edited post: updated status

After I installed wbar per the instructions it opened fine and looked good. I went back in to add prit1's code to that in the how to, and rebooted. When loaded, wbar was there with the changes, but hotpup icons were gone. I could neither restart x server or reboot.

Decided to use the standard windoze fix and used the restart button on the box. When it rebooted I had both the wbar and the hotpup icons. Blinky seems to be missing for some reason.

Going for broke I tried editing the .wbar file. I changed the icon,program and text for the browser. Rebooted,changes took and worked.

I have an install icon on the desktop that points to dotpup. I put that in the .wbar file, changed the icon saved and rebooted. No wbar oops! Finally had to delete the entry,save reboot, back in business. Could you please tell me what goes in wbar to execute dotpup/puppy package manager? Thanks.

If I have not worn out my time with you, the last piece is the gdesklets part. Almost there! I cannot get the program to d'load with firefox or ie on the windoze box. Something about my d'load manager making too many connections or something like that. When I tried on the puppy box, using dillo, it could not load the page, maybe some problem with the redirect to the d'load page. Any ideas on how to proceed? You wouldn't happen to have written a how to for gdesklets by chance? Thanks, Chris.

nic2109

#78 Post by nic2109 »

WhoDo wrote:I have modified dvw86's original Abby theme to look a bit like the latest Macintosh style.
I love this theme and I'm using it with the Aqua-graphite wallpaper (borrowed from my wife's Mac) and the Stardust icons. See screenshot.

What should I edit to move the task bar to the top?

Lastly; I'm sorry to say that there's a tiny cosmetic error in this theme that will be off-putting to MacOS purists.

The window control buttons on Tiger (i.e. MacOS 10.4) are (from left to right) Close, Minimise and Maximise; and the colours are Red, Amber and Green. To be completely the same as MacOS they should also contain the symbols 'X', '-' and '+' in the buttons. Fix all that and you have a near-perfect look-alike.
[color=darkblue][b][size=150]Nick[/size][/b][/color]

WhoDo

#79 Post by WhoDo »

nic2109 wrote:What should I edit to move the task bar to the top?
/root/.icewm/preferences and search for taskbar.
nic2109 wrote:Lastly; I'm sorry to say that there's a tiny cosmetic error in this theme that will be off-putting to MacOS purists.

The window control buttons on Tiger (i.e. MacOS 10.4) are (from left to right) Close, Minimise and Maximise; and the colours are Red, Amber and Green. To be completely the same as MacOS they should also contain the symbols 'X', '-' and '+' in the buttons. Fix all that and you have a near-perfect look-alike.
I'll look into it. Abby-Mac was a "quick-and-dirty" attempt to satisfy a few requests. I never leave these things be, so an updated version will include your suggestions. If you can give me a screenshot of the bar and buttons, I can make it identical. I don't have a Mac of any sort myself.

Cheers
Last edited by WhoDo on Wed 14 May 2008, 10:01, edited 1 time in total.

nic2109

#80 Post by nic2109 »

WhoDo wrote: If you can give me a screenshot of the bar and buttons, I can make it identical. I don't have a Mac of any sort myself.

Cheers
Your wish is my command, oh Great Theme Master.

The screenshots demonstrate a few points about the MacOS GUI :-

The commands in the Task bar change according to which application has focus.

The window control buttons gain or lose their symbols (x, -, and +) according to whether the pointer is over them or not.

The Dock is just the same as the Cairo Dock - but I'm not sure which copied which!

PS. Sorry about the size of the images: I am posting from the Mac and cannot find how to re-size them!
[color=darkblue][b][size=150]Nick[/size][/b][/color]