XFCE desktop for puppy !!!

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
bombayrockers

kde in puppy

#41 Post by bombayrockers »

I just wanted to try kde in puppy. Apart from the eye candy it comes with a few good apps. So I made a kde 3.4.3 installation in puppy using kdebase, kdelibs and aRTS and a few other libs. i have used slackware 10.1 packages. Seems to be working fine. I have been studying the background messages there are no critical errors just Badwindow requests. All base apps are working fine though per se kde is slow on my box (pIII , 128 Mb, 200 Mb linux swap) . however using xfce session manager to start kde services, kde apps can be started from xfce without much loading time.

Following should have been posted elsewhere

This is a theory i have. Rather than releasing Krazy puppy as a whole, it should be broken down into packages similar to kubuntu kde packages.
if you have not seen kubuntu packages here is an review. Official kdebase package is 25 mb tar.gz. what kubuntu people have done is broken down this into individual packages. say kdebase-binaries, kdebase-documents, kdebase-data...

so if krazy puppy is packaged in such a manner that the required base libs are in one package. (apps + their libs) in individual packages. This i suggest because it will give access to the better apps in kde an still not bloat puppy.

klhrevolutionist

how in the world ?

#42 Post by klhrevolutionist »

Bombay, how in the world ? I've been trying to get KDe working in puppy forever. At least tell us how you did it, so we can have it!!!
Thanks.
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

rarsa

#43 Post by rarsa »

Bombayrockers:

I've completed the third stage towards having dynamic menu generation in Puppy.

The good news is that the work for the Xfce is almost completed.

Please check my post and test it under Xfce.

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=18767#18767

My next stage is to try to convince people to start creating the <application>.desktop files at installation so they appear automatically under the Xfce menu.

Actually, If MU can add that to his DotPup wizard, it would be awesome.

Enjoy,

saintlangton

#44 Post by saintlangton »

I like Xfce !

Thanks Bombayrockers!

I'm having a little issue with it though - Changes don't seem to be saved after a reboot. :(

e.g changing the icons on the panel or changing setting to take off the annoying startup notificaion. on a reboot it's back to what it was. :?

Is there something I need to do to save these changes? There is no obvious save changes button...

Chris

bombayrockers

saving panel config changes

#45 Post by bombayrockers »

saintlangton wrote
I'm having a little issue with it though - Changes don't seem to be saved after a reboot.
this happens because current changes to the panel are stored in
/root/.config/xfce4/panel/contents.xml.active

so to save your changes do this.
in the above folder copy contents.xml over contents.xml.bak and copy contents.xml.active over contents.xml before you reboot.

rarsa

#46 Post by rarsa »

Hi bombayrockers.

Where did you get the source to compile the xfce desktop?

Here is why I need to know:

I've downloaded and studied the code that generates the xfce menu from the menu.xml file but I could not find any place where it parses the xfce4.menu file.

I've sent a note to the xfce developers and they've confirmed that they are not processing that file. The funny thing is that, as you have witnessed, If I create that file for puppy, xfce builds the menu based on that file.

So I am totally confused. The code and the developers tell me that they don't use that file, The experience tells me it is being used and parsed.

The only explanation I have is that you used sources different than the ones in the xfce official page.

bombay_rockers

i have used .deb packages

#47 Post by bombay_rockers »

well that would be a problem because i did not compile them from a source. i had downloaded .dsl binary packages from damn small linux forum.
with the previous knowledge that .dsl is nothing but renamed .tar.gz
i extracted them got them running. i gave up on compiling because of many depenencies (devel packages)

rarsa

#48 Post by rarsa »

Well, That gives me somewhere to follow-up from.

BTW, I've fixed the jwm2xdg program for the problem you and MU had.

sling-shot

#49 Post by sling-shot »

Hi. Just downloaded and using XFCE. Really cool!
One query..
XFCE takes away all the icons for launching various applications from the desktop and only 7 of them are visible on the panel below. Where are the others gone? How to make them visible?
For eg. i have FF installed. It does not add any item to the start menu. So how to make it easy to launch it instead of drilling down to the executable and clicking on it?
I am a nobody. Nobody is perfect. So I am perfect.

sling-shot

#50 Post by sling-shot »

One more thing. Puppy 1.0.5+XFCE4+Firefox 1.5beta2 seems to be a recipe for disaster. Been using this combo since 2 days and i am seeing on an avg 1 freeze/workspace crash per hour. All open windows are lost. Also after about 15 to 30 minutes system becomes very very slow, almost unresponsive, even though cpu usage and memory usage are well within 50%. But during these times i see continuous hard disk activity - as seen by the constantly-on LED, indicating HD use. This goes off if all FF windows are closed.
This does not occur with JWM. But in JWM, Mozilla creates similar problems. Hmmmmm......
EDIT 1: Corrected/improved grammer. Added 1 sentence.
Last edited by sling-shot on Thu 27 Oct 2005, 07:57, edited 1 time in total.

rarsa

#51 Post by rarsa »

XFCE takes away all the icons for launching various applications from the desktop
Response up there in this thread.

(Just comment the xfcedesktop line and uncomment the rox pinboard line in the .xinitrc-xfce)

bombay_rockers

XFCE Freezes

#52 Post by bombay_rockers »

I have been using xfce+puppy1.0.5 final+mozilla. i am not facing such problems.

there are 2 possibilities -> puppy1.0.5 beta2 has errors or there in something in firefox that conflicts with xfce.

if other users are having such problems please let me know.

i have had such errors (when i was not using xfce) working with puppy1.0.5 final+ jwm+ yabasic. after i had run yabasic several times the computer would go slow or freeze.

MU

#53 Post by MU »

I don't have this problem, but some days ago someone posted such a problem with mozilla. (i think there was not mentioned which windowmanager, so i assume jwm).

Maybe a memory-problem?

i have 768 MB, maybe that is the reason I did not have that problem yet.

I often have 10 Mozilla-windows open (jwm, icewm, xfce) with the x.org-xserver.

Mark

sling-shot

#54 Post by sling-shot »

rarsa wrote:
XFCE takes away all the icons for launching various applications from the desktop
Response up there in this thread.

(Just comment the xfcedesktop line and uncomment the rox pinboard line in the .xinitrc-xfce)
Did this. This is what happened.
1. "xwin xfce4"
2. A screen with two blank bars on top and bottom with inbetween area showing the desktop from JWM with all the icons.
3. This goes.
4. Earlier blank XFCE desktop comes into view and works as before.

Where did those icons go?

MU

#55 Post by MU »

Slingshot, on the first page of this thread I posted a modified .xinitrc to run xfce with the rox-icons.

It is this dotpup:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/download.php?id=1077

This should fix your problem.
If you made manual changes to your .xinitrc , make a backup before installing it.

Mark

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#56 Post by GuestToo »

i looked in your dotpup
(i don't know why, i don't have xfce installed, i don't really like it)
i may be wrong, but i don't think there is a .xinitrc file in the dotpup
there is a /root folder in FILESYSTEM.tgz, but not .xinitrc

MU

#57 Post by MU »

oops...

where is it gone? :shock:

I'll update it, wait...

Ok, I had moved the files by mistake.
But why did the dotpup work for Others?

Strange things happen...

Anyway, I uploaded the correct version now (I hope :oops: )

Mark

rarsa

#58 Post by rarsa »

Oh, that's true, I never reported back MU. I'[m sorry.

Your dotpup to 'fix' .xinitrc does not work.

That's why I just suggested commenting the xfdesktop line and uncommenting the rox -p line.

And another comment. I know that you are well meant when you create dotpups for trivial tasks for new users. I just think that showing them 'how to fish' may be more beneficial. e.g. instructions to comment out the xfdesktop, instead of just doing it for them.

sling-shot

#59 Post by sling-shot »

[MU]
Using your DotPup. XFCE did start but with a BANG!
Sez - "A CRASH OCCURED IN YOUR WORKSPACE!!!!! However i am kind enough so i will restore it for you"
Up comes the JWM desktop ;-)
Dont know why a crash has to occur on start up!!