A Modest Proposal (to deal with forum's file upload limit)

News, happenings
Flash
Official Dog Handler

A Modest Proposal (to deal with forum's file upload limit)

#1 Post by Flash »

A lot of people are trying to add files to their forum posts and being prevented, getting a message to the effect that the forum's limit for attachments has been reached.

As a remedy, anyone who has posted a large attachment (e.g., a full-size screenshot) to the forum could edit the post, either removing attachments no longer of interest or, when feasible, reducing their size.

Failing that, and if no one objects, I propose that forum moderators cull through old forum attachments and, beginning with the oldest, delete the ones that don't look to be of any further interest or use.

raffy

Turn it off

#2 Post by raffy »

Good idea. Also, it might be better to turn off the image attachment feature, or, as suggested in another section, limit it to 100 KB. Klhrevolutionist has good examples of images being hosted in free sites - just search for his forum name to see his recent posts (October).

J_Rey

#3 Post by J_Rey »

OK I've deleted almost a MB of my upload for starters. :)

Now, should we limit the types of extensions for attachments, also? Like have only images allowed?

Also, this topic has some sites where one can upload to.

Pizzasgood

#4 Post by Pizzasgood »

Like have only images allowed?
I'm opposed to having images hosted in the first place. Images should be hosted elsewhere in my opinion. I like the attachments so you can easily put in a dotpup. Keep the puppy stuff here, and the images somewhere else.

But that's just me :wink:
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Apparently people don't consider how much space it takes to show off their eye candy. :) I'm waiting to hear what JohnM has to say before I proceed. Turns out he's been on medical leave. Get well soon, John.

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#6 Post by JohnMurga »

Flash wrote:Apparently people don't consider how much space it takes to show off their eye candy. :) I'm waiting to hear what JohnM has to say before I proceed. Turns out he's been on medical leave. Get well soon, John.
A funny thing happened ... I have just noticed that the phorum already automatically culls REALLY old attachments (if it runs out of space as it did a little while ago). If anyone ever needs a file that was culled (only very old files), they can ask me for it as I make backups of the files and databse every so often.

I have increased the space available for attachments by 50% (as I had some more space available), but I think the limits that I have in place promote sensible usage as anything bigger deserves to be hosted at it's own location.

I also like screenshots in posting as they help understand the point being made.

Either way, Flash ... I have made you an ADMIN, you should now see a Go to Administration Panel link at the bottom of the page, this will take you to the admin panel. If you then go to "Attachments/Control Panel", then select "Attachments", click "Go" and then you'll see it all under several views.

Let me know what you think

Cheers
JohnM

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

Thanks John ... I guess. :) It'll take me a while to learn my way around. Any objection to me setting up a Usergroup or two? (If there is some interest and suitable moderator(s) can be volunteered.) Usergroups would be open for anyone to read but only members of a usergroup could post to it. A Usergroup's membership would be controlled by the moderator(s) of that Usergroup. The objective to encourage participation in development, not to form cliques.

I agree that a picture is worth a thousand words, but perhaps some screenshots are overly high definition, wasting space and slowing things down for folks with dial-up. :( I've discovered that as moderator I could download an image file, reduce its resolution with mtpaint, then replace the original file with the smaller one. I've done it a few times and no one has complained.