Dingo NOP 4.0 is Available

News, happenings
gray

Dingo NOP 4.0 is Available

#1 Post by gray »

Announcing Puppy 4.0 Nearly Office Pup

As with previous NOP this is a version of Puppy Linux WITHOUT abiword and gnumeric office apps. The idea being that you install to a flash drive (or frugal install on your hard drive) and add the open office sfs package (or a 'goffice' sfs pack to restore abiword etc).

NOP 4.0 is based on Puppy 4.0 "Dingo" and uses the xfce4.4.2 desktop with jwm and rox removed along with games and other non essential apps to produce an iso of around 80 Mb.
Seamonkey webbrowser is replaced with Opera and gxine is replaced by xine-ui. Opera is also a good e-mail client and so replaces sylpheed too!

Download from http://www.puppylinux.ca/NOP

Details :

Xfce 4.4.2 replaces jwm / rox desktop
Thunar replaces Rox file manager
[also includes video thumbnailers and audio metatagger]
Opera 9.27 replaces Seamonkey / Sylpheed
xine-ui 0.995 replaces gxine
Orage replaces Osmo calendar
Gtkbasic03 replaces puppybasic
Galculator replaces all other calculators
Hotpup modified to work with Xfce
Pburn updated to 1.5.2
Pschedule updated to v0.5
Pwireless updated to v0.8.2
Pmirror updated to v0.3
Pfilesearch updated to v1.5
Pbackup updated to v3.10
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(174.61 KiB) Downloaded 3523 times
Last edited by gray on Sun 11 May 2008, 05:48, edited 1 time in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

Is this based on Puppy 4?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

noprob

NOP 4.0

#3 Post by noprob »

What Lobster said...

wondering also.

gray

NOP 4.0 Dingo

#4 Post by gray »

Yes, NOP 4.0 is Dingo based :D . I always use the base puppy numbering.

prit1

#5 Post by prit1 »

@gray: I think this is the first remaster (derivative) of Dingo. Cool. I love NOP. 1 neat derivative. Thanks. I am downloading now.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#6 Post by Lobster »

:)
Am I right this is the first Puppy 4 based puplet?

(NOP = Not OpenOfice Puppy)
meaning it is a base to which to add this major package of OpenOffice

Tom is having today off
I wonder if he will be tempted to produce Wnop 4?
Wnop or wobbly Nop = NOP + Compiz Fuzion

I am interested in the modified Hotpup

These are the latest OpenOffice packages - especially for Dingo and Dingo derivatives
http://tmxxine.com/wik/wikka.php?wakka=OpenOffice

A beta of OpenOffice 3 is out

Update:
OK I am posting from Dingo NOP
Is it good. Yes. It uses the elegant Xfce interface
but it lacks Geany (it has mouspad text editor) and Mtpaint - I kinda rely on those . . .
What it does have of course is the Dingo base, Opera browser
and is therefore an excellent base to add Gimp or Inkscape
OpenOffice, Firefox etc.
The layout is different to Puppys but very clear and clean.
A lot of people will be very happy with Dingo NOP :)

Thanks Gray
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Henry

Thank you, as always!

#7 Post by Henry »

Good morning Gray, (You get a capital letter today.)

I was sure you were doing this - but so soon and so well is a nice surprise. Superb, the most usable Puppy I know.

Henry

Sage

#8 Post by Sage »

Seamonkey web browser is replaced with Opera and gxine is replaced by xine-ui
Utterly inspired! Xfce, too! Why can't all developers tread this path?!

Couple of supplementaries. Yes, this should be on Derivatives.
Can you afford the luxury of both analogue and digital clocks? This version is smooth and fast. The target is still size-reduction?! Xfce is always worthwhile.

And a few more. The help message obscures the top menu bar initially with the liveCD. Not sure whether you are using the latest installer? The GRUB installer is the older version in which the CD tray loops-the-loop, but I don't think the latest one does that any more?
Last edited by Sage on Mon 12 May 2008, 10:58, edited 2 times in total.

alienjeff

#9 Post by alienjeff »

Thanks for running remaster and/or unleashed through its paces, however ...

<sour_grapes>Dilution of finite numbers and dispersion of official Dingo release testers.</sour_grapes>
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

prehistoric

going critical

#10 Post by prehistoric »

alienjeff wrote:<sour_grapes>Dilution of finite numbers and dispersion of official Dingo release testers.</sour_grapes>
The only solution I can see is the formation of a group named "critical mass". Even if it contains no one but you, AJ, I think it would rate as "super-critical", possibly even explosive. If we get a good response, ("chain reaction",) I will nominate you as official "initiator", playing the role of "tamper" or "reflector" myself. (There's just one question in my mind: are you capable of emitting anything neutral, i.e. uncharged? You strike me as a high-energy alpha emitter. If so, we may need to surround you with an inner circle called "Beryllium". )

With an admitted alien in the "core" group, we could attract testers from DHS and the NRC, though it would be open to the IAEC. They are probably reading this post already!

prit1

#11 Post by prit1 »

@gray: Posting this from my NOP Frugal. Love the look/theme. I used an SFS of Openoffice to get the office programs. Thanks for the great looking remaster.

setecio

#12 Post by setecio »

Excellent ! Mutchos Grassyass.

Could I suggest that you create a thread in the 'derivatives' section as the main one for discussion / questions etc.

I always thought it was a pity that the NOP3.01 'discussion' thread ended up in announcements only from the point of view of new people trying NOP when they decide to look for a derrivative but miss all the info about NOP since it is in the announcements thread.

Simpleguy

#13 Post by Simpleguy »

Thanks a alot
I've been waiting for this since Dingo release
NOP is what XFCE based Linux distro should be :)

gray

NOP

#14 Post by gray »

Sage: The analogue clock looked so good I just had to have it. The size is minimal as I have used MU's Gtkbasic to replace puppy basic (it is puppybasic with gtk call extensions) and it is not much bigger. The basic script for the clock itself is only 10K !
This looks a very interesting programming tool that I plan to investigate and gives the ability to do widgets/desklets etc without the bloat. If you dont like it you can switch it off using the system, autostarted applications menu option. I wanted to keep NOP fairly minimal but have kept xsane / sane / gtkam / fotox for now. If I remove these apps I could knock another 4mb off the iso size - opinions on this would be appreciated.
The help bar and Grub issues are from the standard Dingo, untouched.

AJ: Much of NOP is still DIngo & so same bugs will be found !!

Dingo seems pretty solid - it has been out over a week now with very few problems reported.

Sage

#15 Post by Sage »

The analogue clock looked so good I just had to have it
Don't get me wrong - I like them, too. I just wondered whether it was a luxury we should reserve for Muppy-std?

sane? a minority sport?
the help bar and Grub issues are from the standard Dingo, untouched.
The difference with Xfce is that a functions bar lies underneath, whereas this is not the case with most other distros/variants, except Gnome?
NOP continues to amaze - the sheer speed of it.

davec51

Adding OpenOffice

#16 Post by davec51 »

I have an OpenOffice .sfs that I have used with Dingo. Now I am changing to Dingo NOP 4.0 (love the look of it), but I can't discover how to direct the bootup to add it. Please help.

davec51

Changing Icon on Desktop

#17 Post by davec51 »

Is there any way to change the icons on items newly added to the desktop in Dingo NOP 4.0? I have dragged several shortcuts there, but I'd like to add snazzier icons than are given by default.

WhoDo

Re: Changing Icon on Desktop

#18 Post by WhoDo »

davec51 wrote:Is there any way to change the icons on items newly added to the desktop in Dingo NOP 4.0? I have dragged several shortcuts there, but I'd like to add snazzier icons than are given by default.
Right click the new item and choose {name}>set icon. Then drag your new icon and drop it in the box. Voila!

Are you still using PCLinuxOS too?
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

setecio

Re: Adding OpenOffice

#19 Post by setecio »

davec51 wrote:I have an OpenOffice .sfs that I have used with Dingo. Now I am changing to Dingo NOP 4.0 (love the look of it), but I can't discover how to direct the bootup to add it. Please help.
When moving from NOP2.16 to NOP3.01, the goffice file had to be renamed from goffice_216.sfs to goffice_301.sfs

I suggest it might be the same in this case ... try renaming the OpenOffice sfs file to _400.sfs or_40.sfs and try.

davec51

Problems Solved

#20 Post by davec51 »

Thanks, WhoDo and seteclo. I can always count on someone on this forum to answer my naive questions.