New host for Puppy

News, happenings
BarryK
Puppy Master

New host for Puppy

#1 Post by BarryK »

Okay, I've signed up with servage.net.
I wanted a new host anyway, apart from needing something for the Puppy Foundation.

This is the deal:

I paid through PayPal, A$117 (US$91) for 14 months. They will also add on two months for anyone I refer to them who signs up with them.

What we get is 7.5G storage and 330G monthly download.
Servage requires that the download be evenly distributed, so no more than about 11G per day is allowed (repeated violations of which will result in termination of contract). Also when the 330G limit is reached, site is no longer served.

Servage uses a "server cluster" which distributes the load, meaning consistent performance, also close to 100% uptime (99.98%).

Servage has its own custom control panel, which is dream to use.

Up to 25 domains, not just subdomains. Each domain can have its own ftp account and email.

So, I have setup www.puppylinux.org
and installed Wikki Wakka Wiki.
...problem though, I wasn't able to import the mySQL database from goosee.com, so I have resorted to copying page by page ...I don't know how long that is going to take.

SO, DO NOT EDIT THE WIKI, I'M MOVING IT.

I'll do as much as I can tonight. Tomorrow others can create accounts and then copy the pages they are responsible for. It's just a matter of opening the edit pages in old and new wiki, right-click and choose "Select all" then ctrl-c then ctrl-v.
...maybe a good thing anyway, despite the work, as we are dumping all the history.

I will also be moving all my own stuff from goosee.com.
Then will redirect goosee.com.

So, puppylinux.org will be available for people to work on.
Some one who wants to work on the web pages can have ftp access.
Someone can volunteer to be administrator of the wiki.
I have created "admin@puppylinux.org" and someone can volunteer to look after that -- maybe the chairman.

Regarding the web pages, I think that you guys will prefer the Wiki to be the main thing, with some "normal" pages, index.html can be just mostly links into the Wiki. At least, those were the vibes I picked up.

I'll post more info soon.

PeterSieg

Great news! Will there also be a place for dotpups?

#2 Post by PeterSieg »

Great news! Will there also be a place for dotpups?
Meaning a separate ftp/web upload facility, where one can upload
a dotpup and link to it in the forum..?

PS
Have fun :)

klhrevolutionist

I like it.

#3 Post by klhrevolutionist »

I agree with the index.html for quick links.
Barry are you going to announce this to distrowatch when you get everything setup ??

This is a good time to get rid of unwanted wikka pages, or stale unused.
I suppose that administrator be available for suggestions for the wikka.
To keep redundancy down & those types of things. Start fresh & good.
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: New host for Puppy

#4 Post by Lobster »

Okay, I've signed up with servage.net.
I wanted a new host anyway, apart from needing something for the Puppy Foundation.

This is the deal:

I paid through PayPal, A$117 (US$91) for 14 months. They will also add on two months for anyone I refer to them who signs up with them.
Brilliant. Well assuming they are good anyone thinking of setting up a server can then finance Puppys future in this way

This also means that the Foundation as a non-profit can start in the red we The Puppy Foundation owe you $91 US. Great news for a non-profit - in fact we are in a situation of anti-profit already . . .

SO, DO NOT EDIT THE WIKI, I'M MOVING IT.

I'll do as much as I can tonight. Tomorrow others can create accounts and then copy the pages they are responsible for. It's just a matter of opening the edit pages in old and new wiki, right-click and choose "Select all" then ctrl-c then ctrl-v.

...maybe a good thing anyway, despite the work, as we are dumping all the history.
Yep there are old pages not used
test pages
users who never developed pages - I created a list of pages to delete that you might come across - is on one of your pages - one of which is not used and can go

Another thing to consider - there are a lot of pages that start PuppyIRC or PuppyNews when they should be NewsPage or similar to make more sense in the listing. This may effect some links but this can be corrected as we ask people to adopt and check pages.
I will also be moving all my own stuff from goosee.com.
Then will redirect goosee.com.

So, puppylinux.org will be available for people to work on.
Some one who wants to work on the web pages can have ftp access.
Someone can volunteer to be administrator of the wiki.
I have created "admin@puppylinux.org" and someone can volunteer to look after that -- maybe the chairman.
As well as Raffy, Puppian, Klh and Guesttoo have all been active admins - with others also becoming involved. The great thing about wiki is whoever does becomes a wiki developer. . . I also suggest the "admin@puppylinux.org" go to Raffy as acting head and instigator of the Foundation.

Puppian should have FTP access as he has been working on HTML and now we have a server I feel audio tutorials might be feasible with FTP. All this is voluntary of course and up to them.

I would like the name Lobster@puppylinux.org
Regarding the web pages, I think that you guys will prefer the Wiki to be the main thing, with some "normal" pages, index.html can be just mostly links into the Wiki. At least, those were the vibes I picked up.

I'll post more info soon.
There is so much more info and documentation for Puppy that it can not be handled and updated by one wiki-master (no such thing) or web master and so a joint effort makes more sense.
Good news Barry. Very exciting.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

Yes, we need to sift through the entire wiki, I also noticed a lot of dated stuff.

The goosee.com links will eventually be dead.
I got a free domain registration also with the deal, so I had to think of a domain name real quick ...chose "pupweb.org"
...this will be my new "Puppy Developer Website"
It will have my developer news plus other developer-related stuff.

Yes, an ftp for uploading dotpups, that's a good idea.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#6 Post by BarryK »

Okay, let's focus on getting the wiki across for now, then some web pages ported from goosee.com.

Then we need to sift through the wiki, prune it.

regarding personal email addresses, yes, no problem.
I can create lobster@puppylinux.org and you can POP it or access it by Servage's webmail.

I'll be working flat out and polishing up the site, fleshing out details over
next couple of days.

PeterSieg

How and where can one send some money - via PayPal..?

#7 Post by PeterSieg »

Hi.

To support the new site and/or Puppy foundation?

PS

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: How and where can one send some money - via PayPal..?

#8 Post by Lobster »

PeterSieg wrote:Hi.

To support the new site and/or Puppy foundation?

PS
Click on the make donation button here to send money to Barry (he of course has been carrying Puppy) Linux developers are not "bread heads", so I feel Barry has put more money into Puppy for hardware then he has got out. So your offer is very kind and welcome, I am sure.

http://www.goosee.com/puppy/download/downpage.htm
You can also send cash (but this is risky for obvious reasons).

The Foundation will always operate at a loss - we will never have funds (well that is my idea of a non-profit.)

At the moment our funds run to -$91 (money we owe to Barry as setting up the Server was the first cost we volunteered) On the basis he paid and as soon as we have an account we can pay him back.

At the moment our Treasurer is setting up a bank account for the Foundation. We do have a paypal account which Ian (our Treasurer) has set up - but for now donations should go to Barry.

Thanks for offering to support the Foundation.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

PeterSieg

Thanks - done.

#9 Post by PeterSieg »

Thanks - done. PS

raffy

Index

#10 Post by raffy »

This is a much-anticipated event - thanks, Barry for making it happen early. BTW, isn't "PuppyPC.org" available, too?

The terms of hosting are quite tight, something that will make us think of a tiered way of releasing files, like

I
- Core (from Barry)
- Enhancement (like dotpup, usr_more.fs from enthusiasts)
- Puplets and Dotpups (from Barry and enthusiasts)

II
- Chubby Puppy
- Alternate Core (from enthusiasts)

For the first two months, at least, the website may be limited only to hosting set I. As we get a feel of the server numbers and as we do a more tiered core ++ releases, we may then include set II.

Will see what I can do for the admin. Let us do a ten-day tryout. Maybe we set Nov. 11 (latest) as the day of launching the new site?

mortlocl

let's get it rolling...

#11 Post by mortlocl »

this is great news, Barry...and it's prompted me to do something I've been meaning to do for a while...make a donation.
whacko :oops:
mortlocl

BarryK
Puppy Master

#12 Post by BarryK »

I have created a basic front page for http://www.pupweb.org

What I'm proposing is pupweb.org will be my home turf.
It will be developer stuff.

I thought about this problem of selling CDs, and think it is best if I keep doing that. One problem is, I'm working on the Puppy project continuously and always updating the CDs. For example, the "Puppy Unleashed" CD has the 20th October multisession iso on it, the "Puppy Sourcerer" has some latest source packages -- in other words, I'm trying to keep them very up-to-date, ahead of official releases. It is simplest if I also sell them.

Regarding finances, yes, I'm working on the Puppy project full-time, ain't got no other job right now, so income from CD sales and some donations is welcome. Don't anyone feel pressured or obligated to donate monetarily though, as I do have some other small sources of income (very small :) ).

As raffy notes, we still can't host downloads of Puppy iso's.
But, I don't think that's too much of a problem.
Or rather, the main releases have to be elsewhere, but we can probably host experimental releases, that are likely to have downloads at max in the 10's per day, rather than 100's.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#13 Post by BarryK »

Hey, does anybody know how I would fix this:

when I installed Wikka Wakka Wiki, there was a little checkbox that I did not tick. So, urls like this:
http://www.puppylinux.org/wikka/LatestNews
does not work.

However this does:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/wikka.php?wakka=LatestNews

I don't know how to change it after installation.
There is a file, wikka.config.php, that has the install settings, and I can see a line in there:

Code: Select all

"base_url" => "http://puppylinux.org/wikka/wikka.php?wakka=",
	"rewrite_mode" => "0",
it's that rewrite_mode thing, but the file has a message on top not to manually edit it.

raffy

Its OK

#14 Post by raffy »

Non-programmers can make the mistake of breaking lines, so there is a caution like that :) Last precaution = make sure there is no character after the bottom ?> (sometimes editing adds a space or line after that symbol, which can cause errors during execution)

Your path will be

"base_url" => "http://www.puppylinux.org/wikka/",
"rewrite_mode" => "1",

everything else stays the same.

Your .htaccess supplied with the wikka scripts should also be there, I guess...

puppian

Re: Its OK

#15 Post by puppian »

raffy wrote:Your .htaccess supplied with the wikka scripts should also be there, I guess...
I think so too :)
http://wikka.jsnx.com/ModRewrite
[url=http://puppylinux.org]Puppylinux.org - Community home page of Puppy Linux[/url] hosted by Barry (creator of Puppy), created and maintained by the [url=http://puppylinux.org/user/readarticle.php?article_id=8]Puppy Linux Foundation[/url] since 2005

BarryK
Puppy Master

#16 Post by BarryK »

thanks for the help on the wiki guys, I'll fix it tonight, and finish moving the wiki pages.

Lobster, I have created an email account for you, lobster@puppylinux.org.
It has "active spam filtering" enabled, meaning that all emails will bounce, with a message to sender to confirm -- a sender only has to do it once and is thereafter trusted.
Any other Puppy Foundation members may also have an email address!

You can pop your email from: pop3.servage.net
or webmail at: http://webmail.servage.net/

Lobster. I will send a personal message right now, with username and password.

heh heh, our account is now using 1.1MB and transfer total is 7.5M.

MU

#17 Post by MU »

MarkUlrich@puppylinux.org would be nice :)

Am I foundation-member? Don't remember... should go asleep ;)

Mark

BarryK
Puppy Master

#18 Post by BarryK »

Mark, it's done, have sent a personal message!

raffy

Be Proud

#19 Post by raffy »

You must be proud - consider that as an official draft to the Puppy Foundation :)

Which means, Chief Barry, that i can retain my forum_name@puppylinux.org even if i get assigned as admin? (just curious) Of course I will be happy to get one email address too. Thanks!

BarryK
Puppy Master

#20 Post by BarryK »

Okay, I made those changes to the wikka.config.php file, but it didn't work.

So, I went to Servage.net's FAQ and found out why:

In the Control Panel I had to enable .htaccess, which also enabled the mod_rewrite module of Apache server.

However, the FAQ stated that it can take up to 3 hours for the change to work its way through.
So, I'm waiting...