How about a few more /dev/loop devices?

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
Kei G

How about a few more /dev/loop devices?

#1 Post by Kei G »

With all the files being looped by puppy, pupxxx, usr_cram, usr_more, etc., it is easy to run out of /dev/loop devices. I think you allow for loop0 to loop4. I know that these are easy to add on my own, but it would be nice if you included a few more in puppy.

Great job with puppy

Kei G.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

See here

Kei G

#3 Post by Kei G »

Maybe I am missing something.

I understand how to use loops, that is what creates my problem. When I start to loop additional files, I run out of /dev/loop devices. Maybe I am missing something, but puppy seems to only have loop0-loop4 in the /dev directory. Most other distributions have more, loop5, loop6 ...

In my own puppy, I add the devices that I need by just gunziping the image.gz, looping to it, copying the /dev/loops from another distribution to the looped file, then regzipping the image. That way the devices are there when I need them. Without this, I am left with only loop2 for general use and I need more than that. I guess because I keep doing things like gunzipping the image.gz and looping to it.

For the minimal cost in size of adding /dev/loop5 through /dev/loop8 to the distribution image.gz, puppy becomes more useful by adding these devices. It just seems like a good idea in an environment that makes such powerful use of looped filesystems.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

to create a loop device just type something like:

mknod /dev/loop5 b 7 5
mknod /dev/loop6 b 7 6
mknod /dev/loop7 b 7 7
mknod /dev/loop8 b 7 8

you can create the loop devices automatically when Puppy boots by putting the mknod instructions in an init file like rc.local

to mount a file using a particular loop device, for example /dev/loop7, you can type:

losetup-FULL /dev/loop7 puppy.iso
mount -o loop /dev/loop7 /mnt/data

there's a limit to how many loop devices there can be that was set when the kernel was compiled (each loop device uses space in ram) ... there's also a software limit to how many devices you can use

rarsa

#5 Post by rarsa »

Thank you,

I normally have multiple pup001 files for testing. Before your post I never cared to much to investigate how to add more loops, so I just dismounted and mounted as needed.

Kei G

#6 Post by Kei G »

Thank all you nice folks for the information about how to add a few more loop devices, but I never meant my post to be an inquiry. Rather, I meant it to be a suggestion as the title to this forum indicates:

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy?

I understand that there are a lot of ways to add loop devices on my own. Please don't tell me any more. I just think that it would be a good idea to add a few more to the standard puppy package so that they are available to everyone. Minimal increase in size of the distribution with more functionality.

Thanks again for everyone's help.