Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 17 Apr 2014, 11:14
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Need help with Epia porta-puppy project details
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
soulglo

PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct 2005, 15:00    Post subject:  Need help with Epia porta-puppy project details  

I wish to build my very own puppy laptop, err mini laptop. i have already decided to go nanoatx, i can deal with the limitations. i wish to have my laptops dimensions when closed measure no more than 7.5"x7.5"x4". I am currently consumed by this idea, though i have no money, i fell asleep driving home from cleveland to columbus ohio and drove into a guard rail, totaled my car. well enough about me, how about introducing you to porta-puppy.

-VIA EPIA N Mainboard
-laptop battery and PS (?)
-custom case unless commercial solution is available
-LCD screen is undecided, must have 800x600 resolution and work with onboard video, also i need to engineer a way to run the lcd screen off the laptop battery, which of course i still havent been able to find.
-1/2-3/4 size kb
-mouse, dont need one, though a wireless one wouldnt be difficult to pull off with a usb hub and some extra baggage.

ok so i've only decided on one component, but bear with me, and please offer suggestions, and (constructive) criticism(sp?).
-
porta.png
 Description   crude, i know, i need help
 Filesize   1.65 KB
 Viewed   360 Time(s)

porta.png

PostPosted: Tue 01 Nov 2005, 22:19    Post subject:  

You can get a small LCD screen for use in cars and small keypads but I'm not sure if they are alpha-numeric.
aahhaaa

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov 2005, 23:37    Post subject:  

I have an Epia M mini-ITX, it is quite happy with Puppy. Very Happy

The N board is exciting, but also seriously expensive. ALso, it give up performance to be that 5"x5" size. However, you can plan a machine at no cost... Shocked

Your crash should give you an idea- find a totaled laptop or two to get parts like the LCD screen, lo-profile HD & DVDR, keyboard, power brick, etc. You can check eBay or with your insurance folks to find cheap units.

On the PS, there is a direct DC/DC card that clips to the mobo; the oversize & loud PS is the biggest aggravation about using these tiny boards. Thse are found on eBay and at sellers like http://www.mini-itx.com/store/default.asp?c=2
another link: http://epialinux.org/

but... you really need to define what you want the machine to do. Otherwise you'll just end up with a clumsy case mod. For example, say you want to play/edit DVDs. Why not get an older,larger DVD player and build the N board into that existing case? Or into an old LP turntable or roundtop radio? Remember no matter how small the mobo, it connects to bigger stuff like printers, and ultimately- you. Think it through! Razz
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: