Adobe Acrobat Reader 8.1.1.1

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
MU

#21 Post by MU »

Please try this one:
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Libraries/Lib ... .6.0.8.pup

I use Puppy 3, so I don't know if it works in Puppy 2. But it is worth a try.
I think I had used that in Puppy 2, too.
Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

eden6000

#22 Post by eden6000 »

No way...I installed your .pup, then overwritten the libraries with the new ones, and

Code: Select all

sh-3.00# acroread
/usr/local/Adobe/Reader8/Reader/intellinux/bin/acroread: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot handle TLS data
:cry:

eden6000

#23 Post by eden6000 »

MU, I think I've found the problem: the pc I was using is behind a proxy, I thought it was related to this, so I changed the internet preferences in acroread, adding the name of my proxy...I tried opening several files and the problem didn't arise again! This idea came up from the fact that in my home pc, which is not behind a proxy, acroread worked flawlessly.
I'll keep you updated!
Bye
Stefano

eden6000

#24 Post by eden6000 »

Problem solved, MU! It was what I thought, this morning I've used acroread a lot, and no more high cpu usage problem! Hope this can be useful to others....
Bye and thanks again
Stefano

paulski

Just for fun tried it in Pup 2.16

#25 Post by paulski »

Just for fun I tried the english sfs in Puppy 2.16.1
and installed the Libstdc++ pup
Running from the terminal I got neat spash screens, then the normal screen for half a second then it crashed with the following in the terminal as hate mail:

Fontconfig warning: line 241: saw bool, expected void
Fontconfig warning: line 253: saw bool, expected void
/usr/bin/acroread: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/mozilla/components/libgfx_gtk.so: undefined symbol: pango_xft_get_font_map

Not sure why really - could be the dodgy old version of seamonkey.
Looks like the binaries don't have kernel conflicts - should theoretically run in a 2 series pup if I can fix this small issue.

Any clues appreciated.

dinky

#26 Post by dinky »

MU, having issues with libgtmozembed.so. I have firefox installedm, but doesn't seem to have this library. Searched my hard-drive and it's no where to be found.... so... Tried to pull it from an rpm package, and adobe wouldn't start when I put it in firefox, and when I tried to link it elsewhere it didn't work... Am downloading the latest seamonkey pet, and will try to pull it out of there. Barring that, any other advice? 'Ta.
~dinky

dinky

#27 Post by dinky »

Tried Seamonkey version of libgtkmozembed, same result. If it's put in /usr/lib/mozilla/firefox Abode Reader crashes on startup, if it's put in /usr/lib/mozilla, adobe can't find it. (both options are when adobe is configured to find it. Frustrating.

muggins

#28 Post by muggins »

Dinky,

if you don't need the latest version, this is what I use:

ftp://147.52.159.12/mirrors/linux/slax/ ... d_7_0_5.mo

To get it working in puppy you just need to mount it as a .sfs & symlink the appropriate parts.

dinky

#29 Post by dinky »

Thanks Muggins, I'll give it a go.
~dinky

dinky

#30 Post by dinky »

Thanks for the tip, version 7 works perfectly. Why do companies like adobe ruin perfectly good programs by adding unnecessary features? Thanks mate,
~dinky
p.s. didn't have to symlink anything in TigerPup! Just renamed it .sfs, mounted it at bootup, and after running "fixmenus" all was good. Cheers!

DemostiX

Adobe Acrobat Reader 8.1.1.1

#31 Post by DemostiX »

I'm long away from the simple implementation, but Adobe Acrobat Readers have, grown in size. But much of that growth is due to the addition of fully detachable libraries to realize sophisticated effects capabilities that the overwhelming number of document producers do not employ. But, document producers, mostly lay, use the latest version of Acrobat Creator, and unless an administrator has set the Acrobat file producer to label the output with the minimum sufficient version to read the document for maximum compatibility, the requirement will default to version of the Adobe creator.

The solution is to produce a .pet or .sfs with the exotic libraries removed. At least several generations ago, the worst that would happen was that they would be reported missing on Reader execution, and the user would be warned. But the .pdf file would be read. With another non-MS OS, Reader size, load time, and memory footprint could all be drastically reduced.