Booted 105 CD from floppy, CD locked, can't install to hd

Using applications, configuring, problems
ljones

Booted 105 CD from floppy, CD locked, can't install to hd

#1 Post by ljones »

Hi,

I have tried downloading the puppy linux 1.0.5 ISO but I cannot get puppy to be installed on the hard drive. The ISO image works fine off CD but I can't install puppy to hard drive because of one problem -- puppy linux will *not* let me open my cd-rom drive (eject fails, the drive appears 'locked'). Am I using the live cd version, can anyone guess what might be wrong at all?

BTW One final point, I had to boot from floppy disk as the old PC I'm using to install puppy on can't boot from CD. (It' a Dell Optiplex GXi).

Thanks

ljones

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I'm no expert but I'll take a shot. :) First, why do you need to open your CD drive in order to install Puppy to the hard drive? I'm just asking; I haven't tried installing Puppy to a hard drive so I don't know. Second, have you checked that the CD is unmounted (with MUT for instance) before attempting to eject it?

ljones

#3 Post by ljones »

I'm using the puppy installer from within puppy, apparently at one point it needs the CD to be removed. But I can't do this, also umounting the CD gives the same problem (the message is that the device is busy). Also the switch on the front of the cd-rom drive will not release the CD.

ljones