Are there WinModem drivers around for a Agere Systems AC'97?

wrellis

#1 Post by wrellis »

Guys anyone know if there's any driver's floating around for a WinModem Agere Systems AC97? I have a Acer laptop & unable to connect to the internet. I'm using 2.16.

Thanks wrellis.

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

have you tried using some of the other test modem buttons with the modem wizard? i can't recall which other winmodem driver it was, but recall someone getting an agere modem to work with one of the other drivers. maybe try the ttySLO, as this link:

http://modemsite.com/56k/lucentamr.asp

says:
However, Olive Essert from Belgium sends feedback to Modemsite indicating that the Linux driver from Smartlink's website (slmodem-2.9.9.tar.gz) works with the Lucent/Agere Scorpio modem that came in a Toshiba notebook. This is possible because the hardware in both Agere's AMR modem and Smartlink's - the silicon DAA - are the same component.
also barry has put extra effort into modem detection with the latest, pup2.17.

ICPUG

#3 Post by ICPUG »

Hi wrellis,

I have one of your modems in a Medion laptop with Puppy frugally installed.

This problem was solved a little while ago and up to Puppy 2.13 all that was necessary was to click the ttySL0 button in the modem wizard and reboot. Setup your ISP info in the Internet Connection Wizard and bingo.

I never checked it out with 2.14 and I have never used 2.15.

However, I checked it out with 2.16.1. The modem could still be recognised and set up with the modem wizard. But having set up my ISP in the Internet Connection Wizard I could never get a connection. I never reported or investigated this problem because ...

Barry mentioned that Puppy 2.17 was to have automatic modem detection. I have now tested with 2.17.

The modem is not automatically detected.

I cannot find the modem wizard on the menus to set it manually. Other posts seem to suggest the modem wizard still exists so if anyone can tell me how to access, great. Even if I can get the modem set up I suspect the internet connection will fail like 2.16.1 but one step at a time! Since 2.17 has changed the dialling program, which makes another complication in the process, it may just work to our benefit.

At the moment, I can only recommend going to Puppy 2.13 if you really want to get online with this modem quickly.

Don't you just love it when all the time spent solving a problem is undone by a supposedly better automatic system.

ICPUG

ICPUG

#4 Post by ICPUG »

UPDATE to my last message

I've got this modem working on Puppy 2.17

I eventually found the modem wizard. Use Rox to click on the modemwizard icon in /usr/sbin

Click on the ttySL0 button. Select your country and PCI internal as the modem type.

You should now get a message saying it failed with an IRQ but was successful with no IRQ. Click Save.

Reboot Puppy.

When the Desktop Connect button is clicked it now runs Gkdial rather than the usual Pupdial. If it doesn't Gkdial can be found in the Network menu from the menu button.

Set up your ISP particulars in Gkdial and connect.

The first time I tried it the connect instantly failed. It did not even ring the telephone line.

I rebooted and did ALL the steps again including setting up the modem.

This time when I clicked connect in Gkdial it worked.

ICPUG

wrellis

Agere systems AC'97 modem drivers

#5 Post by wrellis »

Thanks guys. I'll try what you said ICPUG & let you know.

Thanks,
wrellis

telemetric_au

#6 Post by telemetric_au »

well i just got online with m7 ac'97 onboard laptop...

it worked no prob in 2.13 as ttySL0 but when trying new dancer 2.17 is didnt detect so was quite annoyed...

thanks or the /usr/sbin/modemwizard tip, IT WORKS

now the normal wizard (desktop) detects the modem etc etc...

FAIL, /dev/ttySL0 does not seem to have an irq assigned
There is probably nothing on that port so try another...
HOWEVER, for linmodems, maybe some other types, this irq
test may have failed but the modem may still work, so
continuing with testing port /dev/ttySL0...

SUCCESS, /dev/ttySL0 seems to be a modem, using irq=
however if uncertain check the others
(if confident modem found, press "SAVE" button)

:)

enricomaria-ricottini

#7 Post by enricomaria-ricottini »

I had some problem like ICPUG: "The modem could still be recognised and set up with the modem wizard. But having set up my ISP in the Internet Connection Wizard I could never get a connection."
In my case this fact is due to dial tone not rocognized (I'm in Italy). I solve just adding "X3" in the string connection, so: ADX3DT... and all is ok.

nubc

#8 Post by nubc »

An Agere modem might be Lucent Technology (ttyLT0), rather than SmartLink (ttySL0).

rerwin

Integrating that fix into Puppy

#9 Post by rerwin »

This thread relates to my recent fix submission for Puppy 4beta. I add recognition of the Agere AC'97, as well as for my Thinkpad i1720's built-in modem. The solution is to add a line into /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG.

For 2.17.1 insert the following line after line 19 (and before the line containing only a single quote mark):

Code: Select all

slamr 0x00008086 0x00002486 #v3.98 Agere Systems AC97 Modem
Puppy 2.16 and earlier do not have that file, so I cannot help with those Puppys.

If the hardware address in the above line does not match your modem, please substitute your vendor and device IDs and post them here or PM me. That way I can request it be added to the file in the official Puppy.

I found those value in Windows' Device Manager for the modem, on the Diagnostics tab. They are the hex values following "VEN" and "DEV", as I recall..

Thanks for any feedback.
Richard

koolie

#10 Post by koolie »

Hi,
I am using 2.17.1 on a Fujitsu Lifebook.

From Windoz I got
VEN_10B9
DEV_5457

I inserted line..
slamr 0x000010b9 0x00005457 #v3.98 Agere Systems AC97 Modem

Cant get any dialler to find the modem.
(slamr is installed and recognized).

What am I doing wrong?

muggins

#11 Post by muggins »

koolie,

if i google 10b9:5457 I see some links suggesting to use slamr, but other links suggest it could have a conexant hsf chipset. Apart from running, in a console, modemwizard & trying some of the winmodem test buttons, you could try dloading & running scanModem.gz, to see what it reports.

koolie

#12 Post by koolie »

Hi muggins.

Thanks for that.
I hadnt thought to use scanModem.

This is what it finds..

CPU=i686, Puppy Linux
Linux 2.6.21.5 [i686 arch]
Linux version 2.6.21.5 (root@puppypc) (gcc version 3.4.4) #1 Sat Jun 23 21:16:21 PUP 2007
scanModem update of: 2008_05_30
The modem symbolic link is /dev/modem -> ttySL0
The slmodemd set symbolic link is /dev/ttySL0 -> /dev/pts/0
There are no blacklisted modem drivers in /etc/modprobe* files

For candidate card in slot 00:03.0, firmware information and bootup diagnostics are:
PCI slot PCI ID SubsystemID Name
---------- --------- --------- --------------
00:03.0 10b9:5457 10cf:1130 Class 0703: 10b9:5457

Modem interrupt assignment and sharing:
11: 3531 XT-PIC-XT ohci_hcd:usb1, ohci_hcd:usb2, ehci_hcd:usb3, SL1800, ALI 5451, wifi0, yenta, yenta, eth0
--- Bootup diagnostics for card in PCI slot 00:03.0 ----
ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:03.0 disabled
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:03.0[A] -> Link [LNKG] -> GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11

/////////////////////

ungrab_winmodem and slamr are both testing OK.

I tried using martianfull-20061203-i486.pet
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 1692945090

There may not be a problem if the martian .pet was for kernel 2.5.21.5, which is in Puppy 2.17.1. but it installs to /lib/modules/2.6.18.1/extra/martian_dev.ko.
Moving it to /lib/modules/2.5.21.5/extra/martian_dev.ko,
insmod returns error: invalid module format.

//////////////////////

WVdial, as good as it is, bogs down after issuing ATZ.
Kppp actually gets all the query replies from the modem,
but when trying to connect, it locks-up the system, and
after reboot, all settings in Kppp have been lost.

I'll get this sorted if it kills me.

muggins

#13 Post by muggins »

Koolie,

I thought wvdial was only for real modems, not for winmodems that you & I have. Did you try running modem-wizard, then choosing the ttySL0 option?

koolie

#14 Post by koolie »

I thought wvdial was only for real modems, not for winmodems that you & I have. Did you try running modem-wizard, then choosing the ttySL0 option?
Yes, that was how I got Wvdial to find ttySL0.

Do you have your whingemodem working?

I've had enuf of it for today, I'll pick it up again when I'm feeling sane again.

Enclosed capture of Kppp responses, just for interest.

Cheers.
Attachments
KPPP-ttySL0_replies.jpg
(47.67 KiB) Downloaded 1649 times

rerwin

#15 Post by rerwin »

koolie,
Regarding:
From Windoz I got VEN_10B9 DEV_5457
I inserted line..
slamr 0x000010b9 0x00005457 #v3.98 Agere Systems AC97 Modem
Cant get any dialler to find the modem.
(slamr is installed and recognized).
What am I doing wrong?
Not to be insulting, but you did reboot, didn't you? The line you inserted is read only at boot-up.

Did you try the modem-wizard, mentioned above, choosing ttySL0 (and no other option)?
Richard

koolie

#16 Post by koolie »

Hi Richard.

Yes, did both of those, several times.
Also tried Puppy 4.00, which detects ttySL0, but wont do anything else.

In desperation, I have tried a number of other distros as well, but no joy there either. I'll use any distro that will get it working. I even checked-out FreeBSD today.

Dont mention this to anyone, but I am using WinXP on the lappie, cos it's the only thing I can get a useable modem with. I absolutely hate it.

Cheers.

koolie

#17 Post by koolie »

Well, I am getting somewhere at last.

Now using Puppy 4.00 on lappie.
Ran modem-wizard > setup ttySL0 > saved.

After today's net session with Windose, rebooted to Puppy without switching-off.
Ran PupDial.. now connected and writing this.

Seems that the IRQ and port number need to be specified to PupDial/wvDial, or whatever.

Getting there.

koolie

#18 Post by koolie »

OK, what I am doing now is booting Windoze > dialling without phoneline connected > warm/soft rebooting to Puppy > modem-wizard > Pupdial.

Works well every time.
A pain? Yes.
Better than using Windoze? ABSOLUTELY.
Windoze should never be connected to ANY network, especially the internet.

I hope that someone smarter than me (and thats most ppl) can come up with a better way of doing this.

koolie

#19 Post by koolie »

I had another go at this today, and it seems that what is needed is slmodem.
I saw in 2005 forum post that a slmodem dotpet was available on ibiblio.
I have searched there and every other repository I could think of, but cant locate it.

Edit:
Disregard the above.
I have slmodem installed, but dont know if it is configured right.
I am presuming that slmodem is the thing that opens the port, yes?

Anyone got any clues?

rerwin

#20 Post by rerwin »

koolie,
To straighten things out a bit, "slmodem" is the package for SmartLink chipsets, and is built into Puppy. It contains modules slamr and slusb. The line you added to /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG is what lets Puppy find the modem -- and it apparently did. If you want to make sure, use the BootManager to add slamr to the "add list". Then you shouldn't need the added line (above).

If you haven't already, be sure that the "Carrier Check" box in PupDial is not checked. Do you know whether the modem actually works for any version of linux? You have probably done it, but what happens when you use the Probe option of PupDial.

When testing, would you stay with 4.00, so I have a chance of being able to help. To gather evidence, could you boot with the parameter "loglevel=7", either the modded MODULESCONFIG or having "added" slamr to be loaded at bootup, try to connect, and then attach the files /tmp/bootsysinit.log, /tmp/logwvdialprobe, /tmp/pupdial.log, and /var/log/messages to a posting. Thanks.

Also, did you try 3.01, in case there is a subtle difference from 4.00?
Richard