Brother mfc 665cw printer pup4. (Solved)

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
thelash

Brother mfc 665cw printer pup4. (Solved)

#1 Post by thelash »

My printer not listed on cups in puppy4, so I downloaded and manually installed lpr and cups wrapper files from the Brother site. Now the cups setup recognizes printer - the name shows up on device screen as usb#1 Brother mfc etc. However, when it comes to the driver screen, nothing is listed. The only Brother is the HL2040. Loading this driver does not work. The Brother site suggests if I have problems, then get the appropriate .ppd file from the windows/mac install disk which I have. Apart from the fact that my IBM T22 laptop has a faulty optical drive that reads DVDs but not CDs (!) and I've had to go my brother's desktop, I can't for the life of me find a ppd file on this disk. I've trawled lots of sites and can't find it on the net either. Do I need this file, and where can I find it? I thought the printer would install with just the lpr and cups wrapper files. Any suggestions appreciated.
Last edited by thelash on Tue 24 Jun 2008, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.

thelash

wrong forum

#2 Post by thelash »

sorry this should be in users or howtos. How do I pull from here and repost there?

muggins

#3 Post by muggins »

Just looking at the few posts, on your printer & linux, it just seems to be a configuration problem. You installed the lpr before the cups wrapper, right? The cupswrapper script looks like it creates a .ppd file in /usr/share/cups/model.

If you enter brprintconf_mfc665cw in a console, are you getting a list of your printer options?

http://ge.ubuntuforums.com/showthread.php?t=301112
http://solutions.brother.com/linux/sol/ ... rs.html#de

thelash

Success

#4 Post by thelash »

Thanks muggins. The Brother downloads - lpr and cupswrapper - were rpm files which I unrpmed and placed manually in /usr. The cupswrapper folder had a cupswrapper.sh script which I clicked on while at the same time having /usr/share/cups/model folder open. Bingo! The mfc665cw.ppd file appeared and it was just a matter of installing the printer in cups and we were away.
Wondering why the script hadn't run after the install?

Anyway, a good outcome.