Missing xfbdev (framebuffer X server) pupget package

News, happenings
BarryK
Puppy Master

Missing xfbdev (framebuffer X server) pupget package

#1 Post by BarryK »

The package "xfbdev-4.3.0v2-xkbd" seems to be missing from the list in the PupGet package manager.

Don't know why, will have to check it out.

To use the X framebuffer X server, you need the above package, also the "modules_fb-k2.4.29" package.

A workaround to this problem is, install the modules_fb-k2.4.29 package as normal, using PupGet package manager.
But, go direct to the ibiblio.org download site, "pupget_packages-1" directory, and download "xfbdev-4.3.0v2-xkbd" to your PC.
-- then run the PupGet package manager and click the "Install_alien_pkg" button.

After both packages are installed, you need to restart the window manager then the Framebuffer Wizard should be in the menu ...then the "fun" starts...

... I suggest, read up the docs in /usr/share/doc/framebuffer/, examine the script /usr/sbin/framebufferwizard -- see if it looks okay for your video hardware, like detects it okay and passes appropriate parameters when loading the framebuffer module.

normanw

#2 Post by normanw »

Is it possible, to install the mentioned modules, when X is not started ?

zygo

#3 Post by zygo »

I'm using 1.0.4 liveCD with a (properly) resized pup001 on a win xp HD. I downloaded both the packages from ibiblio in a browser and installed them as alien packages. The first installed in a second or two but when xfbdev-4.3.0v2-xkbd is installed the message 'Processing please wait' remained on the screen and the PC hung without HD activity. After 4 minutes I had to use the power switch to shut down.

Clearly the package hadn't installed properly but ever the optimist I rebooted without remaking pupp001. The option was given to use the framebuffer video card. I selected framebuffer and chose default options but this resulted in another crash -- of more than one minute. The framebuffer card (intel) showed no image at all and the S3 card had frozen with the last image. I had to use the power switch to shut down.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

You can go back to the Xvesa X server by changing the link /usr/X11R6/bin/X to point to /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvesa.
...if you can get to console mode then you can do this.

Does ctrl-alt-backspace get you out of X?

It seems like the package didn't download properly, but I don't know why it hung during install.

zygo

#5 Post by zygo »

I usually check the MD5 for downloads but I haven't got your list with me now. For the xfbdev-4.3.0v2-xkbd.tar.gz I downloaded it's 5D9CAE4159E022339B6F7BA59E83C30E if your interested.

zygo

#6 Post by zygo »

Barry,
I've cut out some of the variables but got the same result. I used a pup001 straight from the zip file without resizing. I booted and installed the Xfbdev file which crashed X. Not right away it took about 12 seconds and even then the mouse pointer could still be moved about. Ctrl-alt-backspace did indeed close X; I remade the link to Xvesa and restarted X. It seems odd that you make puppy change horses midstream, that is, as soon as Xfbdev is installed puppy starts using it without asking for settings! When I typed framebufferwizard selected yes and chose the intel card it's image remained blank and when I returned the monitor to the S3 card there was no sign of the wizard just the white on black bootup text. And of course the PC was crashed.

My md5 for the xfbdev file is the same as you listed on ibiblio. Thanks for puppy so far.

MikeG

framebufferwizard

#7 Post by MikeG »

I'm having trouble with the framebufferwizard. After installing I selected exit to prompt and typed framebufferwizard. A screen with two options started 1. Yes; will start frambuffer after reboot or 2. cancel (nothing will change).

My computer quickly rebooted without a pause to change settings. It seems to me that there is bug in the wizard.

I'm using a Thinkpad i Series 1400, 466Celeron, 128Mb, running Puppy 1.0.5 installed on my hard drive (shared with windows, suse, dsl and feather).

The above said Thinkpad works beautifully apart from flicker from the screen. I'm also trying to understand how to change screen configurations for use on some other old notebooks which boot up nicely but have near-impossible to read green/yellow displays.

Thanks to the Puppy Team and all your hard work.