Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 23 Nov 2014, 07:08
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Wanted: Maintainer of English Puppy Manual
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 4 [47 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
oli

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jun 2008, 08:54    Post subject:  Wanted: Maintainer of English Puppy Manual  

I copied my manual from www.puppy-linux.info to the new website at http://www.puppylinux.org/manual . Till now I maintained the German and English version and coordinated the translation into the other languages. The Puppy 4.00 manual is almost ready and will be published soon.

But now it is too much effort for me, so I would like to stay maintainer of the German manual only. That's why I now search for a maintainer of the English manual. Is there somebody out there who is interested in and who has time to be durable a maintainer?
puppyluvr

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jun 2008, 12:37    Post subject:  

Very Happy Hello Very Happy

Id be happy to help, but I dont know if I have the skill.. Confused
What is required?????
Besides being a Puppy fanatic. Very Happy Very Happy
If it is just maintaining/updating an existing manual, Im sure I could handle it, just dont know
if I could write one from scratch. ( in less than a month or two...LOL)

Puppy since 2.15CE...
HairyWill

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jun 2008, 20:58    Post subject:  

Now that the manual is written, it really only requires maintenance from release to release. In wiki format it is possible for it to be edited by many people collaboratively, though it would be good to have one person make the judgment when it was fit for release.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jun 2008, 22:27    Post subject:  

Quote:
Id be happy to help, but I dont know if I have the skill..

Skill starts from will (not hairywill - though he might help)
You will learn not only how
but a lot of other skills and a lot more about Puppy
- well that is what happened when I did one of the early manuals
http://tmxxine.com/pm/p1.html

good luck Smile

craftybytes

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jun 2008, 02:06    Post subject:  

oli -

As I'm retired (on a pension) and find that I have a reasonable amount of time to sit in front of a computer - AND - as my 'main' OS on my system is now Puppy - AND - as I also speak and write the good olde "Queens" english (even though I am a true blue Aussie) - I"ll put my hand up as a volunteer..

Just let me know what needs to be done - how does one access the manual on the New website - and how to do edits, etc..

Hope this helps..

crafty.

3 x boot:- ASROCK VIA 'all-in-one' m/b; AMD Duron 1.8Ghz+; 1.0GB RAM; 20GB hdd (WinXP Pro); 80GB hdd (MEPIS 3.4-3/Puppy v2.15CE Frugal); 1GB USB pendrive (Puppy 2.15CE Frugal); CD/DVDRW; 17" LCD monitor; HSF 56k modem... MEPIS is great.. Puppy ROCKS..
oli

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jun 2008, 16:32    Post subject:  

Hi crafty, hi puppyluvr,
thank you for your offer. I want to describe what you should have to do. First you will find at www.puppylinux.org the English manual. When a new release of Puppy Linux is published (with major changes to the former release) I update the German manual. In the meantime I add sometimes new chapters to the German manual.

I think there are two ways how to maintain the English manual: (a) you update and improve the manual just the way you like or (b) you have a look at the German manual and try to make the same update / improvement in the English manual and use the same screenshots (then it would be good if you are able to read German text or another Puppy user can help you and translate the text).

I don't want to decide who of you is best to maintain the English manual. Perhaps you want to share the chapters. Perhaps "Urban Soul" can help you with the translation (I will send him a link to this post). If you are ready to start please let me know. Then I will inform Tom to give the privilegs to you. Then you will find at www.puppylinux.org a sandbox where you can try to edit the manual first.

Oli
craftybytes

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jun 2008, 03:00    Post subject:  

Hi oli,

Thanks for the info - don't speak the German language - but I believe that there are several language translation programs available in Linux or even via the WEB - so maybe I can make use of one of those to translate your 'German' updates into 'English' - any translation errors / problems that I can't sort out will be the time I'll ask for assistance via the forums..

If you be happy with this - then I'm ready to go any time you want..

I'll just have to get used to doing editing via the wiki for the manual..

crafty.

3 x boot:- ASROCK VIA 'all-in-one' m/b; AMD Duron 1.8Ghz+; 1.0GB RAM; 20GB hdd (WinXP Pro); 80GB hdd (MEPIS 3.4-3/Puppy v2.15CE Frugal); 1GB USB pendrive (Puppy 2.15CE Frugal); CD/DVDRW; 17" LCD monitor; HSF 56k modem... MEPIS is great.. Puppy ROCKS..
HairyWill

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jun 2008, 03:34    Post subject:  

The editor for the manual is a wysiwyg module called tinymce. It is very similar to using a word processor, this is the same module as used for the main wiki but with extra features turned on. [mount soapbox] It also has all the bad features of allowing you to edit presentation rather than semantics [unmount soapbox].

I have given Puppyluvr (I hope that that is you) editor and translator status , but I can't find an account called craftybytes. Let me know your account name and I will fix the status.

I'm happy to do some proof reading, if you want.

craftybytes

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jun 2008, 04:24    Post subject:  

HairyWill -

Just a thought - maybe I need to 'register' onto the Community Website & the Wiki - that's probably why you can't find an account as yet.. Embarassed

Let me know what I need to do and I'll get to it asap.. Rolling Eyes

No - Puppyluvr is another Puppy forum poster..!

With 'tinymce' - does one have to load that locally or does it work via web access.?

Proof reading - if you think it needs it - then OK..

crafty.

HairyWill

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jun 2008, 04:32    Post subject:  

@craftybytes
yes register and confirm your account name
tinymce works entirely in the browser
puppyluvr posted earlier in this thread and said that he would like to help too
my forum posts certainly need proof reading Wink, basically I'm happy to help, with more hands we can probably increase what is covered

craftybytes

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jun 2008, 04:43    Post subject:  

OK - will get it done by tomorrow.. Crying or Very sad

cheers..

crafty.

craftybytes

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jun 2008, 05:24    Post subject:  

Right - now have a "craftybytes" account on the Community Website.. Razz

So let me know what I need to do from now on.. Very Happy

crafty.

HairyWill

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jun 2008, 05:49    Post subject:  

OK
craftybytes promoted to editor and translator status
You should now see an edit tab at the top of every manual page.

Editing an existing page is fairly straightforward. One thing I don't understand is how you would add an extra page (or delete) and how the index/menu works. Oli can you any any enlightenment?

alexthedragon

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jun 2008, 06:26    Post subject:  Reporting for duty
Subject description: Maintenance of the English Puppy manual

I will be happy to help with the English manual and I might even get the time to do a Danish one, though I might need a extra pair of hands for that one.

You really don't need me to tell you that I can speak and write English like a native of the isle. I have also a lot of experience writing articles for wikipedia and other places on the web, including my own blog..

I have just stopped studying because of stress, I was studying to become a teacher of languages, but now I have a lot of free time on my hands and I need something to keep the little grey cells ticking.

Well, I look forward to working with you all. Very Happy

Alex
oli

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jun 2008, 09:47    Post subject:  

Welcome to the new maintainers.

To add a new page to the manual, click on "Manual" and than (at the left side) on "Add page" (see picture manual1.jpg).

To delete a page, click on "Edit" first. Than you will find a button "Delete" at the end of the page.

Be careful if you add a new page. You must fill in "Title" and "Body". And than you have to enter into "Menüeinstellungen" (I suppose it is called "Menu entry" in the English version). There you have to enter the title again, the menu and the order (see picture manual2.jpg). Don't miss these settings or your page will disturb the whole webpage !!!

If you want to upload an image, click on "enable rich-text" (beyond the body-box). Then click on the camera-symbol and than on the button "Upload" (see pictures manual3.jpg to manual5.jpg).

Please make some exercises at the sandbox first.

The English Puppy 4.0 manual is finishes from chapter "How to get Puppy" to "How to setup an internet connection" (see picture manual9.jpg). The other chapters are finished in the German manual only. Please have a look at the German manual, I edited and added some pages and screenshots.
manual1.JPG
 Description   
 Filesize   21 KB
 Viewed   915 Time(s)

manual1.JPG

manual2.JPG
 Description   
 Filesize   38.63 KB
 Viewed   1340 Time(s)

manual2.JPG

manual3.JPG
 Description