Bug in Mount Drive Script

Please post any bugs you have found
babbs

Bug in Mount Drive Script

#1 Post by babbs »

Puppy 1.0.2-Mozilla, type 2 install.

When I try to mount my thumb drive, I can't because there aren't enough options to choose from on the scripted window. I can mount the CD/DVD drive, there is an option to mount the floppy (but I don't have a floppy drive in the computer), and a number of Linux drives that I can mount. I have /dev/hda1, /dev/hda2, /dev/hda3, /dev/hda4, /dev/hdc1, /dev/hdc2, and /dev/hdc3. All are either ext2 or ext3 formatted. Although I have a total of 8 USB ports in the system, I rarely use more than 2 at a time (keyboard and mouse are PS2) for thumb drives or cameras.

Recommended work-a-rounds so I can use my thumb drives?

Thanks!
babbs

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Okay, I'll look at getting the Pup drive mounter to handle more Linux partitions.

Is your thumb drive formatted as ext2/3?
That would account for the problem, as the script is only designed to recognise 4 Linux partitions.

Note, I just discovered a bug in the install-to-hd option-2:
It doesn't create /mnt/linux4 and /mnt/windows3 directories, which are needed by the mount script.
Fixed for 1.0.3.

babbs

#3 Post by babbs »

Barry,

Between the two hard drives, I have 7 partitions.

/dev/hda - Formerly used for Windows, but now contains 4 partitions, each just under 5GB in size. The first partition is where I did the type 2, Puppy install. It is recognized as ext2 with the other three unformatted (no file system installed).

/dev/hdc - Added to the system when I still had Windows working. When I installed Fedora Core 3 on it, the drive was formatted with three ext3 partitions ("/boot" is 100MB, "/" is 18GB and "/swap" is 1GB).

My 256MB "Verbatim" brand thumb drive and my 1GB SanDisk "cruzer mini" thumb drive are both formatted FAT16.

Does that help any?

THANKS!
babbs

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

So your system only has 2 msdos (fat12/16) partitions?

...then pmount should be able to handle that.
pmount can display up to 2 msdos, 3 windows and 4 linux partitions.
(for pup 1.0.3 I have increased it to 5 Linux partitions)

Did you try clicking the REFRESH button a couple of times?

Is it a USB1 interface? -- in that case, click REFRESH after waiting about 25 seconds.
Unfortunately, there's a difference in how usb-storage works on the 2.6 kernel, that I haven't quite sorted out.

babbs

#5 Post by babbs »

The two thumb drives are the only ones that are FAT16. I'll give it another run tonight and let you know what I find out.

Thanks!!!
babbs

babbs

#6 Post by babbs »

Barry,

I just realized that I did the type 2 hard drive install of 1.0.2-Opera (/dev/hda1). I'll do a type 2 hard drive install of 1.0.2-Mozilla to /dev/hda2 tomorrow.

I booted to Puppy and attempted to mount the USB again. When the dialog box came up I was given the option to mount the CD, Floppy, and Linux1/2/4. There was no Linux 3 to choose.

Also, there were no USB devices presented for mounting (I only had the 256MB thumb drive connected). The thumb drive was attached to the computer prior to booting.

Does that help any? Would you like me to run any tools that would help you better understand what I have?

Thanks for looking into this!
babbs

BarryK
Puppy Master

#7 Post by BarryK »

check that /mnt/windows3, /mnt/msdos2, /mnt/linux4 directories exist.

Try running "probepart", see if they all show up.

babbs

#8 Post by babbs »

Barry,

I remember seeing those devices listed in the /dev directory, but I can't recall having seen them in the /mnt directory. I will check everything and run probepart when I get home tonight. Is probepart on one of the menus or is it run from the command line?

THANKS!
babbs

(PS - I was able to mount Linux2, /dev/hdc2, to obtain the ltmodem file which I needed to get online. The install of it went well and I was able to browse the web through Puppy last night for the first time.)

babbs

#9 Post by babbs »

Barry,

In my /mnt directory, I have:
cdrive
cdrom (black and white circular arrows)
data
flash
floppy (black and white circular arrows)
home
linux2 (black and green circular arrows)
linux3
msdos1 (black and green circular arrows)
msdos2
pupxxx
ram1
windows2
zip

I ran all the scans from the Puppy Hardware Probe script and I will PM you with the results.

When I ran the Mount Partition script for the first time tonight, I had the following buttons:
REFRESH
floppy
cdrom
linux
linux_2nd
linux_4th
EXIT

After mounting the linux_2nd partiton, a button for msdos became visible (from the above 7 buttons to eight). Clicking on the REFRESH button prior to mounting linux_2nd, had no effect.

babbs

BarryK
Puppy Master

#10 Post by BarryK »

I'm not completely sure about your trouble, but you do need /mnt/linux4, so create it:

# mkdir /mnt/linux4

v1.0.3 install-to-hd fixes this.

If you do get an msdos button showing up, that is probably your flash drive.
If it is a USB1 interface, you might have to keep pressing REFRESH awhile to get it to show up.

babbs

#11 Post by babbs »

Barry,

After running my head into the wall a number of times, I realized you told me to create /dev/linux4 and /dev/windows3. After creating /dev/linux4, I was able to mount /dev/hda2, but I really want /dev/hda3.

/dev/hda1 - Puppy 1.0.2-Mozilla (type 2 install)
/dev/hda2 - Puppy 1.0.2-Opera (type 2 install)
/dev/hda3 - ext2fs partition intended for use with Puppy Unleashed
/dev/hda4 - empty
/dev/hdb - CD/DVD drive
/dev/hdc1 - Fedora /boot
/dev/hdc2 - Fedora /
/dev/hdc3 - Linux Swap

I didn't have any USB devices plugged in tonight.
My system is Windows Free... :twisted: :lol:
My system does not have a floppy drive.

Since the script identifys that I don't have Windows, is there a way for it to also detect that I don't have a floppy? Would that free up room for more buttons? Is there a way to probe the partitions from the script to dynamically add the appropriate number of buttons, reguardless of the way the partitions are formatted? (I know of a number of people who have multiple linux distros installed to multiple partitions. Some partitions share the same drive, while others have drives of their own.)

Thank you!
babbs

PeterSieg2

usb stick mount problem in 1.0.2

#12 Post by PeterSieg2 »

Hi, there is absolutely a problem here!
I tried a notebook and a PC. Puppy 1.0.2 sees the usb stick in dmesg and usbview.
There is just no button in pmount AND anything like mount /mnt/sda1 /mnt/data
(also tried sda1-4/sdb1-4 etc.) doesnt work?!...

PS

BarryK
Puppy Master

#13 Post by BarryK »

...well, try again with 1.0.3...

babbs

#14 Post by babbs »

I'm downloading it now! :D I can't wait to get it home to try out!!!

babbs

#15 Post by babbs »

Peter - The buttons are named a litte "off" for a prior Windows user. On my FAT32 thumb drive, Puppy 1.0.3 found it as "Windows" and labled it /dev/cdrive when I mounted it. (I reformatted this device from FAT16 to FAT32 this afternoon.) My thumb drive, still formatted FAT16, was recognized and required me to push the MSDOS button.

Barry - From the hard drive install of 1.0.3-Mozilla (no USB devices):

Windows - Puppy detected that Windows is not installed on this system (right answer).
Linux - Puppy found hdc1, hdc2, hda1, hda2, & hda3. The hdc3 partition is swap partition (1GB).
Floppy - No floppy is in the computer. Puppy still gives that as an option to mount.
USB - I decided to add my FAT32, thumb drive to the mix. This disk was recognized as a Wondows directory and a windows button was provided. When I added my FAT16 thumb drive, a MSDOS button was provided.

I think that 1.0.3 fixes my Puppy drive mounter problem. :D

THANK YOU!!!
babbs

BarryK
Puppy Master

#16 Post by BarryK »

yes, these days cannot just assume everyone has a floppy drive!