test iso 20th October 2005

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
BarryK
Puppy Master

test iso 20th October 2005

#1 Post by BarryK »

Available:
http://puppy.wise-guy.us/

I have figured out why that /root/archive folder goes missing, so have fixed that.

Have also modified rc.reboot-cd so does not close the dvd when it gets full.
-- as that seems to be the "endless loop" problem.

Have some testing to determine dvd size, to cater for mini-DVDs.
Although growsisofs itself will determine when it has reached end of a DVD,
I don't want part of a session saved on a DVD.

The shutdown script had a problem with DVD-RWs and DVD+RWs,
thinking they were full when they were not. This should be fixed.

It should work okay with a CD-R.

See README file on the above link.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Barry,

The first time I shut down 20oct05 DVD, it says the disk is closed and I should insert a new one. I just leave the same (DVD+RW) in. It says there is already a fs on the disk but then overwrites it. I tried it twice, with +RW regular size and -RW mini disk. I haven't had time to test further but as I recall the reburned disk boots okay with the settings intact, and shuts down saving the session as it should.

iso mounting and the nice pie script

#3 Post by Guest »

I was developing a little script to open up iso files, or burn to CD or burn DVD when an iso file is double clicked, and I got an unexpected script error from some other script, which I think is related to the new pie display

Code: Select all

mount -o loop -t iso9660 -r /mnt/hda3/current.iso /mnt/cdrom
the mount work fine any way.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

What version of Puppy? Are you using multisession CD or DVD?

Ted Dog

version 1.06 test iso Oct 20

#5 Post by Ted Dog »

That was me. multi-session DVD (of course :wink: _) on DVD-R

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: iso mounting and the nice pie script

#6 Post by BarryK »

Anonymous wrote:I was developing a little script to open up iso files, or burn to CD or burn DVD when an iso file is double clicked, and I got an unexpected script error from some other script, which I think is related to the new pie display

Code: Select all

mount -o loop -t iso9660 -r /mnt/hda3/current.iso /mnt/cdrom
the mount work fine any way.
Ted Dog,
See this:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=2765

Could you try using losetup-FULL first, to associate the file with /dev/loop2.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#7 Post by BarryK »

Flash wrote:Barry,

The first time I shut down 20oct05 DVD, it says the disk is closed and I should insert a new one. I just leave the same (DVD+RW) in. It says there is already a fs on the disk but then overwrites it. I tried it twice, with +RW regular size and -RW mini disk. I haven't had time to test further but as I recall the reburned disk boots okay with the settings intact, and shuts down saving the session as it should.
So, after that first hiccup, it is now working okay?

As you had been using the DVD+RW before, perhaps it was full?
But, yes, I see that the way it is working is confusing.
Currently the shutdown script doesn't know if you have a DVD-R/+R or a DVD+RW/-RW, so sees the DVD is full and wants a new one.
I'll need to think about the logic of this.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

BarryK wrote:
Flash wrote:Barry,

So, after that first hiccup, it is now working okay?
So far it seems to be working okay, but I've only booted it then shut it down maybe twice. The thing that bothers me most is the apparent difficulty getting online. Mozilla opens then says at the bottom "searching for goosee.com" or whatever, for a long time. I reboot into Windows and it connects at the usual speed so I suspect there really is a problem with the 20oct05 version. Will revert to 19oct05 tomorrow on the same disk for a test.
BarryK wrote:As you had been using the DVD+RW before, perhaps it was full?
Yes it was full. I had reused it several times, overburning it each time, before I overburned it with 20oct05.

Ted_Dog

Help Test Experimental Development (www.hted.com/puppy)

#9 Post by Ted_Dog »

The Experimental Oct 20th ISO and any upcomming RC can be found here.
http://www.hted.com/puppy/

Ted Dog

iso 10/20 works better on CF-IDE's in DevonIT puppy

#10 Post by Ted Dog »

Hay, I had an unexpected good experience moving the testiso onto the CompactFlash Card in a new DevonIT NTA. It makes it faster, since the detection of the CF puts /ROOT into memory rather than treating it like a RW drive speeds increased. How ever I did modify the zeroing out part at the end and the memory detection at the beginning since half of the RAM was not being used. :P

BarryK
Puppy Master

#11 Post by BarryK »

Ted Dog,
I've commented-out that zeroing-out code, as it is criticised takes too much time, also unecessary writes to flash.

So, that url... if I upload 1.0.6rc to babb's wise-guy.us, will you get it from there? -- I can let you know first, before announcing it.

Ted Dog

RC - hosting

#12 Post by Ted Dog »

Yes, I will pull it from where ever you say. I was try to find out how I could open a upload area for either site. The weekend staff at the hosts site must be new, he gave me a generic answer, twice in the same email.