grafpup puplet for graphic artists and other crazy people

News, happenings
Nathan F

#41 Post by Nathan F »

I've gotten a go ahead from Barry to basically turn Grafpup into a distribution in it's own right. It will still be Puppy under the hood, but soon will have it's own website, forum, and package repository. This is actually part of the work that must be finished before I can release the next iso, as I intend to provide a link to the new repository in the icewm menu.

I want to thank jcagle here on the forum for providing a great web hosting package for this. Downloads of the new iso should be a good deal faster. After the site is up and running I will post news and other information there instead of here on this forum.

I am finishing up some details that got skipped the first time around like help files for the packages unique to Grafpup. I've also finished a couple more unleashed packages like Seamonkey. I also had to go back into Puppy-unleashed and fix a couple of mistakes that I made setting up packages.txt, as there were some things showing up in pupget that don't exist at ibiblio or nluug. I'm shooting for an iso without any serious bugs or headaches here.

Once the rest of the pieces are in place and the iso is ready I intend to get back to work on a Blender package. Blender has always been one of my big goals for this, but it seams that dependencies are going to be a major issue.

Nathan

#42 Post by Guest »

I've now confirmed that I got printing working, at least for Ted and Opera. I'm not really satisfied with the results, however, as I could not get color output. I also haven't yet gotten anything to print from Gimp. Unfortunately I don't own a printer of my own, and I was only able to steal a couple of test tries using a company printer.

For those of you expecting to download the new Grafpup iso, the announcement on the Wiki news page was a little premature. I have a functional iso, but there are still some things I'm trying to tweak before I release this one to the masses. Sorry.

There was a recent thread on the forum relating to NVU, the html editor. I decided to go ahead and make an unleashed package out of it. It seems to run well, but with a bug when changing fonts. It will be available in the new package repository.

I've also been adding mime-types to rox in order to make things more productive. When you open a tar archive it will now open in guitar, for instance. Most image formats now open in xnview by default, etc.

Look for it in about a week and a half.
Nathan

Raman

Need MD5 sums for grafpup-1.0.5-opera.iso & pups

#43 Post by Raman »

Please provide MD5 sums for your grafpup-1.0.5-opera.iso and its related pups.

Downloads always require MD5 checks.

Hail Puppy!

Raman

Nathan F

#44 Post by Nathan F »

You're right, my bad. I'll be sure to correct the lack of md5.

Nathan

Nathan F

#45 Post by Nathan F »

Blender running quite happily. Easier than I thought. It does require SDL and to a lesser degree uses python. You might get by for a while without the Python, but it makes the program quite unhappy. I'll make a package sometime soon.

Nathan
Attachments
blender_screenshot.png
Blender running on a Grafpup alpha live cd
(57.74 KiB) Downloaded 2669 times

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Dotpup

#46 Post by Lobster »

I suggest the name dotpup for this distro (just an idea)

A few months ago Puppy would not have benefitted from another distro (IMO). Now I think it would benefit from a partner distro.

It is a big step.

Initially I intended to develop my own distro (Linux Tmxxine) and this may still happen as I have permission from Barry to develop this. Yet Puppy develops in exactly the way for my requirements. There is a big impetus in and with Puppy and I would be happy to support a graphics orientated Puplet that was providing development elements as dotpups, as well as creating its own bark.

The important thing I feel is to keep, right from the start, good relations with everyone involved in such an exciting project.

Woof-woof
:D

PS.
here is a blender tutorial to be going on with . . .
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Nathan F

#47 Post by Nathan F »

This will more than likely be my last post in this particular thread. I have put up a website for Grafpup at http://grafpup.com/ where I will be posting and maintaining all news related to Grafpup. The site itself is right now just a skeleton and is not finished, but I've already put up a temporary package repository, a news page, and an introduction for newcomers. I intend to release the next iso sometime in the next week come hell or high water, so be sure to check the site if you're interested.

Nathan

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#48 Post by Lobster »

Have put a link here but please add more . . .
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/LatestNews

8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

BarryK
Puppy Master

#49 Post by BarryK »

Nathan,
grafpup.com is also going onto my pupweb front page:

http://www.pupweb.org/

...which shows how Puppy is spreading out, taking over the Internet.

Nathan F

#50 Post by Nathan F »

Thank you very much, Barry. That meens a lot to me.

Nathan