MacPup Dingo and CUPS

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
davec51

MacPup Dingo and CUPS

#1 Post by davec51 »

I'm a settled MacPup devotee now, but I have one lingering problem. The CUPS setup for a new printer doesn't allow for an SMB connection to a remote printer. That's what I need, and other Puppy versions have offered it. Is there a workaround, or can I install a different version of CUPS that meets my requirement?
Actually, I can save a document on my remote hard drive, walk into the other room, and print it, so the problem is not crucial. But for elegance and completeness I'd like to set up the printer.

prit1

#2 Post by prit1 »

@davec51:

Did you try CUPS setup for a new printer on Puppy Dingo? The reason I am asking is Macpup has the same packages as in Puppy Dingo. If it works in Puppy Dingo, it should in Macpup Dingo.
[url=http://macpup.org][b]Macpup - The beauty of linux[/b][/url] [b] | [/b] [url=http://pritlog.com/][b]Pritlog - Simple blog app[/b][/url]

davec51

#3 Post by davec51 »

prit1 wrote:@davec51:

Did you try CUPS setup for a new printer on Puppy Dingo? The reason I am asking is Macpup has the same packages as in Puppy Dingo. If it works in Puppy Dingo, it should in Macpup Dingo.
Yes, my problem is with Dingo, not MacPup, but I thought someone might have a workaround.

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

This may help.

davec51

Getting CUPS configured

#5 Post by davec51 »

rcrsn51 wrote:This may help.
Yes, by making a symlink between the smbspool and a new smb entry as instructed, I was able to find a SAMBA entry in the CUPS setup (it wasn't there before), and I was off and running. Thanks, rcrsn51, and I see we have the same last number, though that isn't my year of birth. We may be related.