For efforts in internationalising Puppy and solving problems in this area
alifjuman

Arabic language support for the next version of puppy

#1 Post by alifjuman »

Please add arabic language support for puppy

Caneri

#2 Post by Caneri »

Hi alifjuman,

I use a google translator at puppylinux.ca as I am not able to speak/write Arabic.

Yes..this would be a good project for Puppy Linux.

Alas I don't know which pups speak Arabic.

Best,
Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Kazm

#3 Post by Kazm »

:cry: Sorry, but Puppy developer don't undestand non-english humans world...

See here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28878

Nathan F

#4 Post by Nathan F »

Sorry, but Puppy developer don't undestand non-english humans world...
Give some credit please. Almost every application that Zigbert creates supports localization and many of them are already translated into a number of languages besides English. Also, many of them are already in Puppy. You might consider contacting him to offer help in the form of Arabic translations.

And he's not the only one working on this front. He's just the best example right now. I know what you are saying Kazm, and it is partially true. But be careful about how it comes accross because the way it is presented here could cause people to take offense.

The screenshot below is an interesting aside. This is not the mainline Puppy but my own variant, and I have no idea of the accuracy of the translations (I'm using translate.google.com for the bulk of the work) but I think it speaks for itself about my views on the subject. If not then I will clarify - don't complain about it, get on board and do something about it.

Nathan
Attachments
menu_ar.png
Grafpup main menu using ar_AR locale
(63.94 KiB) Downloaded 3027 times
Bring on the locusts ...

RR Koothady

SCIM Arabic Support

#5 Post by RR Koothady »

Dear alifjuman and Kazm:

In addition to the Arabic Desktop support that Nathan has posted, you can type Arabic right inside Puppy using SCIM and related pets available in the following thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=27967

Please see the following screen shot of the latest Open Office displaying Arabic scripts! In addition to Oo, you can also use all the GTK+2 word and text editors and applications to type in Arabic - OUT OF THE BOX using the above SCIM solution.

Ramesh
Attachments
arabic.png
(178.21 KiB) Downloaded 3139 times

alifjuman

thank's for the help....

#6 Post by alifjuman »

sorry for my late to read the help.....very2 thank's for every one...
i will try.... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

alif jum'an

eXistenZ

#7 Post by eXistenZ »

Hello Everyone,

This thread was so helpful for me, thank you all for your help.
However I would like to tell that no doubt and arabic Puppy will be a good project but as an Arab when I look for arabic support my priority goes for being able to read arabic unicode then being able to input and type arabic unicode. This is the main need for me or any arabic speaking person when using Puppy and not to have the operating system itself in arabic Like the menus, buttons, icon names ... etc.

I live in an arabic country and I have never seen an arabic localized windows XP copy. all the people use the regular windowsXP in english with arabic support for unicode allowing you to read arabic and input arabic. most arabs dealing with computers have the basic knowledge of english that allows then to deal with the operating system in english.

So the priority when giving arabic support for Puppy should be given to unicode reading and writing/input as there are still some problems with it. And this has been my biggest problem when I started using puppy a couple of weeks ago that I was even going to quit using it until I found this thread, and it solved most of my problems when I installed SCIM and was able to type arabic text.

one main problem I see in Puppy is that its not being able to read arabic filenames. and they display as question marks "??????". another main problem is displaying the arabic characters in reverse order from left to right instead of right to left making the characters separate and not joined together. I still wonder how can I get that fixed and I see fixing that is much more important for puppy to become popular amongest arabic speaking people than having puppy in arabic.

If any of puppy developers needed help with arabic or arabic translation for puppy localization I will be willing to share my effort and help the way I can.

eXistenZ

Irihapeti

#8 Post by Irihapeti »

@eXistenZ
I have just posted some new information on the wiki about configuring Scim which may help to solve some of the problems with displaying Arabic text. Essentially, it's about locale setup. http://puppylinux.org/wikka/MakeScimWor ... ndTerminal

bignono1

#9 Post by bignono1 »

Hi,
How can i change the menu like Nathan`s ??

L18L

#10 Post by L18L »

bignono1 wrote:Hi,
How can i change the menu like Nathan`s ??
Hi bignono1,
you could
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=108
give a try :wink:

bignono1

#11 Post by bignono1 »

:lol: