Can I boot different Puppy versions off the same CD?

Using applications, configuring, problems
willhunt

Can I boot different Puppy versions off the same CD?

#1 Post by willhunt »

Well the nov adult intro to computing starts soon and I would like to offer the class puppy but just burning 1 puppy to a disk
seems sorta like a waste anyone have a way to boot all the puppies on 1 cd? i.e chubby,graph,pizza,reg,murga ?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

You want a litter of Puppies on one CD, right? :)

Ted_Dog

GRUB the Dog to the rescue

#3 Post by Ted_Dog »

I had just finished a wild puppy version using GRUB which boots from CD.
However one problem. the different versions look for the same usr_cram.fs location. You would have to remaster each one and place the usr_cram.fs inside the image.gz. from your list only murga is already setup that way. So you could use it and one other. GRUB files are already in puppy so I'll test it out with murga, and standard puppy and leave you a link to check on the progress.
http://www.puptrix.org/wildpup.htm
It can serve as a base you can add to I'll include the burning instructions, and simple template menu for booting different puppies. If you would remaster each one except murga to place its usr_cram.fs inside its image.gz. I am currently using HD-less machines, one DVD-based and one-puppy terminal so the remastering would be a challege if you need it by Tuesday. :?

willhunt

Not by tuesday :)

#4 Post by willhunt »

Yes I want a litter on one cd it would work well for me I think
burn 1 cd offer 4 choices class runs for 6 weeks twice a week so as long as I can come up with it by the third week I think I'll
still be helpful to those who are having problems

Nathan F

#5 Post by Nathan F »

I think it might be easiest to go ahead and remaster the iso's to include everything in image.gz. The problem comes into play when trying to boot any of the larger pups on a machine with less than adequate memory if they have that large of an image.gz. Grafpup and Pizzapup are both a little over 70mb, while Chubby is over 90mb. If John Murga's pup, at only 50mb, takes 128mb of ram then I'm guessing Chubby would need close to 256 in order to get up and running with everything in image.gz. Having said that I think that it could be made to work. I'd be willing to contribute a special build of Grafpup to the experiment.

Nathan

willhunt

ok had brain storm

#6 Post by willhunt »

yep one brilliant flash and it's gone...............

what about boot them all from a floopy then make config.sys look some thing like this

Code: Select all

MENUCOLOR 7,0
MENUDEFAULT=1,5
MENU 1 Orignal Puppy
MENU 2 Chuppy
MENU 3 Grafpup
MENU 4 PizzaPup
1?Shell=a:tiny.exe c:\orgpup\vmlinuz - root=/what do I put here?
2?Shell=a:tiny.exe c:\chubpup\vmlinuz -root=/???
ect...........
help anyone? i'm stuck

willhunt

Thats what I'm talk'n bout!!

#7 Post by willhunt »

just love the dual boot like what you have done there I also like the new look of the grafpup

sunburnt_

I'm doing multi Puppy's on the HD.

#8 Post by sunburnt_ »

It's interesting because I was just grappling with the exact same problem.

Unless there's a way to specify the location of usr_cram.fs, putting it in the Image.gz file is definately the simple way to go.

One other possability for me on the HD is to copy each Puppy's usr_cram.fs to the root of the boot partition over the existing one when starting it up.
Won't work on the CD of course, but if you keep the usr_cram.fs file on the HD & boot from the CD, then it would work!

Is there a way to tell Puppy where the usr_cram.fs file is?
If not, then this would obviously be a great suggestion for a change.
Have Puppy boot to a menu that shows all the available cram files.

This, in line with my other post in Suggestions, if the usr_cram.fs files were named differently, each for their respective releases, this wouldn't be a problem.

But Barry had no way of knowing the extent that Puppy would grow to.