Solved: how to burn CDs with version 1.0.2

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Bruce B

Solved: how to burn CDs with version 1.0.2

#1 Post by Bruce B »

I haven't been able to figure out how. The reason has to do with an incompatibility between kernel v 2.6.x and gcombust and SCSI emulation.

I came up with a work around.

Using GRUB for the boot manager I set up the option to boot into Puppy version 1.0.1

I installed (copied) vmlinux, image.gz and usr_cram.fs for version 1.0.1 on a different partition than the version 1.0.2 and I use a small PUP file and a different name.

When I want to burn CDs, I use version 1.0.1 - it's a workaround to be sure - but it works!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I did it last night with JohnM's Opera Puppy, which is basically Barry's Puppy 1.0.2.

First, I went to Start->Setup->CD/DVD drive wizard and chose ATAPI.

Then I went to Start->Multimedia->Gcombust->Burn (tab) and, following the instructions in the purple "Help for Gcombust" popup, entered /dev/hdc in the "Device" window and mmc_cdr in the "Driver" window. It worked fine.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

yeah, it works fine in 1.0.2.
I use it everyday.

When upgrading from 1.0.1, you have to be sure to run the CD/DVD Wizard to turn off scsi-emulation, which I think requires a reboot,
then run the Wizard again to make sure everything looks right.

When you start Gcombust, a help window tells you what to do, as Flash found.

Bruce B

Making some progress

#4 Post by Bruce B »

Thanks for your help. I didn't get any dialog or help menu when I started Gcombust, but knowing that I should was a step in the right direction.

I deleted the gcombustrc file and sure enough I got a configuration window, but no help window and I can't find one (yet).

It would be nice if I could get it working. I wonder what driver I should enter for a Plextor ATAPI writer? Does any know?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: Making some progress

#5 Post by Flash »

Bruce B wrote:<>
I deleted the gcombustrc file and sure enough I got a configuration window, but no help window and I can't find one (yet).

It would be nice if I could get it working. I wonder what driver I should enter for a Plextor ATAPI writer? Does any know?
Did you look behind the Gcombust window? I didn't see the help window the first time I tried to use Gcombust in 1.0.2. I think now that it was there, just hidden behind the Gcombust GUI.

I'm using JohnM's Opera Puppy because it allows to ignore the pup001 file at bootup. An out-ot-whack pup001 file causes all kinds of misery at bootup.

Re: Making some progress

#6 Post by Guest »

Flash wrote:
Bruce B wrote:<>

Did you look behind the Gcombust window? I didn't see the help window the first time I tried to use Gcombust in 1.0.2. I think now that it was there, just hidden behind the Gcombust GUI.

I'm using JohnM's Opera Puppy because it allows to ignore the pup001 file at bootup. An out-ot-whack pup001 file causes all kinds of misery at bootup.
I looked where you said and all over - I'm thinking there is no help file with my distro. Still not go with the CD-ROM burner setup for me.

About an 'out-of wack pup001' file system. I worry about this a little so what I do is make a backup copy of pup001 periodically when in DOS mode.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#7 Post by BarryK »

There was no need to delete the "rc" file.

Perhaps you haven't turned off scsi-emulation?
...by running the Wizard

The window manager menu should run a script called "gcombustshell".
...try running it from the commandline.

...if that works, then your menu is stuffed up.

Bruce B

I think it will be okay

#8 Post by Bruce B »

Thanks everyone. Running the gcombustshell brought up the help. First time I saw it.

It might actually be working now - I needed those instructions - never could have guessed.

Bruce B

Ah ha

#9 Post by Bruce B »

Barry, I found out why I didn't get the help window. I'm using icewm and the menu doesn't (didn't until a few minutes ago) have the additional instructions to execute gcombustshell.

Thought you'd be interested.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#10 Post by BarryK »

Okay, so the icewm "maintainers" will have to bring the menu up to date.