Sound card (sound blaster?) not found

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
toomuchcomputertime

#21 Post by toomuchcomputertime »

Thanks Aitch and bugman. I am downloading Empty Crust and Simplepup right now. Thanks. I will update after I see how they run.

toomuchcomputertime

#22 Post by toomuchcomputertime »

I got both empty crust and simple pup running, but I need to find modules before I can run the sound. Does anyone know where I can download sound modules? Thanks

Aitch

#23 Post by Aitch »

toomuchcomputertime
......but I need to find modules before I can run the sound.

What modules?

try typing in a console

Code: Select all

# aplay /usr/share/audio/2barks.au
did you try running alsamixer ?

The mute may be on or the volumes down

Aitch

Aitch

#24 Post by Aitch »

Hi,
To go back to your original post, I don't know if this may be related, if you were using 3.01

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=24608

I would still check mixer settings, though

Aitch

tempestuous

#25 Post by tempestuous »

toomuchcomputertime wrote:Does anyone know where I can download sound modules?
I think you misunderstand how audio in Linux works. Puppy already contains drivers for all supported sound cards. Since Puppy version 1.0.8 these are the ALSA drivers. Prior to version 1.0.8 Puppy had the old OSS drivers.
The question is which driver to use, and what configuration options that driver may require.
It appears that your AD1812-based sound card is soundblaster compatible. So I would speculate that it should work with the snd-sb8 module.
toomuchcomputertime wrote:I disabled the plug and play in both the bios and the kernel
Yes, that's a good start. Without this setting, ISA-based devices can be problematic in Linux. Actually, if you have disabled the PnP option in bios, it's not necessary to do the same thing with a kernel parameter.
Try the automatic configuration first. Run the ALSA Sound Wizard, and select "sb16".
If no success, you must now try some manual configuration. Open /etc/modprobe.conf in geany and you will see these lines at the bottom -

Code: Select all

alias snd-card-0 snd-sb8
alias sound-slot-0 snd-sb8
options snd-sb8 irq=? dma8=? port=?
Now you will need to find out the card's hardware settings - irq/dma8/port, and manually change these values in modprobe.conf
Reboot after each change.

Better still, throw that sound card in the bin and replace it with a more mainstream sound card, preferably PCI instead of ISA.

toomuchcomputertime

#26 Post by toomuchcomputertime »

I ended up using another computer that was newer. I am not having any further sound card problems with any computers. Thanks