Favorite Puppy Linux features

Promote Puppy !
jcagle

Favorite Puppy Linux features

#1 Post by jcagle »

I mentioned this in another thread
My favorite Puppy feature is the dotpup. I don't think I've had a regularly easy way to install Linux software using any other method than the dotpup. It's just as easy to install the software as in Windows in most cases, and also in most cases doesn't mess up the system.
The dotpups make things very easy.

So what's your favorite Puppy feature?

puppian

#2 Post by puppian »

I have A LOT!

dotpups, pupXXX (delete that file and you have a new puppy ;)), 60M (fast and small).....
[url=http://puppylinux.org]Puppylinux.org - Community home page of Puppy Linux[/url] hosted by Barry (creator of Puppy), created and maintained by the [url=http://puppylinux.org/user/readarticle.php?article_id=8]Puppy Linux Foundation[/url] since 2005

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

Dotpup, pupfile, ramdisk, size, completeness, and the community.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

It's just as easy to install the software as in Windows in most cases
yes, that was and is the main idea, and avoids needing to tar, chmod, etc etc

also reliablilty is important (the md5sum checking)

i have never wanted to make dotpups more like Unleashed packages ... there could be package management functions made available for dotpups, but i don't think the dotpup system should have package management functions built into it

EarlSmith

#5 Post by EarlSmith »

My favorite part of Puppy is PuppyPeople. So many helpfull people and more all the time.
I think Barry sets a really great example for everyone. You PuppyPeople really want to help new people, it shows in every post.
:D :D :D :D

jcagle

#6 Post by jcagle »

haha...I never thought of people as part of an operating system, but ya know, they are part of the Puppy Linux community!

I have found this to be the friendliest Linux community I've been a part of.

Maybe puppies make for friendlier people...

Pizzasgood

#7 Post by Pizzasgood »

Of course they do. Have you ever tried making friends with a hat? Or a vector? I like math and physics as much as the next guy (maybe more), but you can't really play catch with a vector. Puppy's name is even friendly. What's a Knoppix? Sounds like a troll's club to me. DSL isn't exactly child friendly, and Slackware sounds lazy and bloated. Austrumi sounds like a pasta, and I prefer to eat my pasta rather than to install it on my computer. And Mandriva just sounds creepy. Gentoo sounds cool, but kind of cold and alien. But Puppy sounds like a fun, loyal, good-mannered buddy. :)
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

kcin

#8 Post by kcin »

Pizzasgood wrote:Of course they do. Have you ever tried making friends with a hat? Or a vector? I like math and physics as much as the next guy (maybe more), but you can't really play catch with a vector. Puppy's name is even friendly. What's a Knoppix? Sounds like a troll's club to me. DSL isn't exactly child friendly, and Slackware sounds lazy and bloated. Austrumi sounds like a pasta, and I prefer to eat my pasta rather than to install it on my computer. And Mandriva just sounds creepy. Gentoo sounds cool, but kind of cold and alien. But Puppy sounds like a fun, loyal, good-mannered buddy. :)
...very good point, Pizzasgood, and I agree completely - Linking this linux with a concept that is so universally loveable was a stroke of genius on Barry's part.

It just would not have been quite the same, even if it were the very same OS in every technical aspect, if Barry had named it ... say "Barrix," or "Kaulix," or something instead. Can you even imagine?

Calling it Puppy really enhanced and completed the appeal of this wonderful little OS!

I don't know of any other OS that has the "warm & fuzzy" appeal of Puppy Linux or that evokes anywhere near the same kind of affection.

tybris

#9 Post by tybris »

My favorite feature is 'quality'... a linux that just works. Ok that's not really a feature... Puppy-unleashed and ramdisk then.

kcin

#10 Post by kcin »

ohhh, and to stay on track with the original thread, my favorite features (as a relative Linux newcomer) are...

1) the Speeeed (so many others I tried first were soooo slow and bloated)
2) the ease of use...
... a) best menu layout of any linux I've tried
... b) inclusion of gtkfind made it easy to find things for me as a newbie
... c) Pupget and dotpups make software installs a breeze
... d) little touches like the graphical timer (which I use constantly) made the transition from Windows much easier
3) the user community - more courteous and helpful than any other I have seen anywhere! (Only rarely have I ever seen anyone here ever be abrupt, or rude or impatient in even the slightest way - and when occasionally, some new user comes in ranting and raving, I've seen that invariably he's been met with patience, calm and helpfulness from several experienced users who ignore the bad manners and just concentrate on helping).

And the enthusiasm here is unmatched anywhere.

For me, Puppy has taken the pain out of learning Linux and made it really fun.

gliezl

#11 Post by gliezl »

wow! what can i say? you have mentioned everything;

for me, 1) unique (incomparable with other distros) 2) super fast (boots in less that 20s in my HD) 3) versatility (can do lot of things) 4) dotpups, pupget & pup001 (favorite Puppy features) 5) Users & Developers (nice gentlemen) :D
[color=blue][i]"If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it."
~Margaret Fuller[/i][/color]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#12 Post by Lobster »

Great points made by everyone - totally agreed with

Usability
It was the info on Barrys site that helped me to understand and burn ISO's and try other distros.

Versatility
So many .pups and pupgets and built in possibilities . . .

Predictability
A good idea or potential direction seems to be in operation as soon as I think - 'that would be neat' . . . Dunno how that works . . . Puppy magick?

Learnability
People learn through patience and support - being polite and helpful and assuming that people are asking to know - means people learn and feel support and in return are keen to advise others.

Updatability

Every 4 to 6 weeks we are getting major new facilities and functions. The rate of Puppy growth and friskiness is astonishing . . .
Mean Puppy is fast. Pizzapup is being enjoyed. Graphpup is very polished and for graphics ideal. 1.0.6 is out this week. Are we having fun yet?

Quite empowering really
I want to use Puppy. I enjoy using Puppy. Puppy is positive. I use Puppy. Puppy is Linux? I am happy to be using Linux.

Tux is my hero. Puppy is my distro of choice. Don't you just LOVE puppy?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

aahhaaa

#13 Post by aahhaaa »

favorite feature: that it just loads on most any machine :D

most important feature: that it breathes new life into (otherwise) obsolete computers

most fun feature: YOU GLOBAL GUYS & GALS!!! :P