Howto: make a bootable USB drive Puppy from Windows

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
rico002

Howto: make a bootable USB drive Puppy from Windows

#1 Post by rico002 »

Make bootable usb drive with puppy on it from in Windows (with/without CD/DVD drive)

1.format your stick using the Fat16 or Fat32 file system. To do this you can Download and install the HP USB tool.
By running HPUSBFW.EXE with admin rights you can format the usb drive
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files ... 26504.html

If you can read files on your usb drive you probably won't need to do this.

2.Download the Puppy Linux ISO.
3.Open the ISO using a program that can read iso images such as Izarc or winrar.

Extract the files from the ISO (or CD) to a folder on your harddrive, then to the root of your USB stick.
(There will be a single 'boot.images' directory amoung the other files.)
4.Rename isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg (not case sensitive)
5.open syslinux.cfg and
change “PMEDIA=idecd
timeout 50
“ to “PMEDIA=usbflash

mbturner

Flashpuppy help!

#2 Post by mbturner »

So, I have been having a hard time getting puppy to boot up on my laptop. The BIOS DOES have the option to boot from USB, and it lets me try, but when I do it says exactaly "boot error" and that's it. I installed puppy onto my ipod shuffle with the default MBR and everything, but it now says "missing operating system" The Ipod is also where my pup_save's are.

So when you say "Type" syslinux.exe F
or "type" this or that, where exactally and in what operating system am I "type"ing that into?

waldo

boot error

#3 Post by waldo »

1st: Got a LG 2GB USB-Drive. When plugged in, just new, the BIOS always booted from it with "boot error".
Had to format it with the HP Utility with FAT16!

2nd: Made bootable with syslinux I always have to go into the BIOS and select a First HD. Leaving it plugged in I always boot from USB...

3rd: There are no drive letters in Puppy...

Hope that helps!

P. S.: Don't know anything about ipods.

netomx

Re: Flashpuppy help!

#4 Post by netomx »

mbturner wrote:So, I have been having a hard time getting puppy to boot up on my laptop. The BIOS DOES have the option to boot from USB, and it lets me try, but when I do it says exactaly "boot error" and that's it. I installed puppy onto my ipod shuffle with the default MBR and everything, but it now says "missing operating system" The Ipod is also where my pup_save's are.

or "type" this or that, where exactally and in what operating system am I "type"ing that into?
Try my solution:

Format with HP USB Format Tool, select fat32 and select "create dos disk", select a directory where win98 boot files are... then just make the syslinux and copy all files to the usb and try again, that solved all my problems!

p.s. i just register to tell you this!

netomx

Re: Flashpuppy help!

#5 Post by netomx »

mbturner wrote:So, I have been having a hard time getting puppy to boot up on my laptop. The BIOS DOES have the option to boot from USB, and it lets me try, but when I do it says exactaly "boot error" and that's it. I installed puppy onto my ipod shuffle with the default MBR and everything, but it now says "missing operating system" The Ipod is also where my pup_save's are.

Start, RUN, and you TYPE in the box:

syslinux f:

if F is the drive of your usb

aliG

Step by Simple Step

#6 Post by aliG »

Someone (not too far away from Glasgow) sent me a PM and asked if I could send them some very basic instructions on this. So anyway I write some and attach below - may be of use to anyone finding in years to come.

Sorry it's a PDF I could not find any other way of formatting it -

If anyone things it's any good I could perhaps ask for a wikki ID and edit it / allow others to put on the Wikki so others can add to it?

Alison

erikson

Re: Howto: bootable usb drive puppy from windows

#7 Post by erikson »

rico002 wrote:To do this you can Download and install the HP USB tool. By running HPUSBFW.EXE with admin rights you can format the usb drive
This link is obsolete. Use this one: HP Drive Key Boot Utility

A few months ago, I experimented with it on my Sandisk USB Cruzer Micro, but I don't recall the outcome. I ultimately got Puppy installed on pendrive, but I also used pup2usb from How to make a multi-purpose boot CD for Puppy and tools from http://www.pendrivelinux.com/.
[size=84][i]If it ain't broke, don't fix it.[/i] --- erikson
hp/compaq nx9030 (1.6GHz/480MB/37.2GB), ADSL, Linksys wireless router
[url]http://www.desonville.net/[/url]
Puppy page: [url]http://www.desonville.net/en/joere.puppy.htm[/url][/size]

mdisaster2

#8 Post by mdisaster2 »

Would that tool work with SD cards as well ?

I mean the vanilla type SD cards that you stick in the camera or the USB card reader, not the CF IDE cards. It would be nice if you could just burn a Puppy image on a SD card, stick the card into a Eeepc and boot...

louijp

Howto: bootable usb drive puppy from windows

#9 Post by louijp »

I have an Artigo VIA Pico-ITX box, and I need to boot from USB as I do not have an USB CD/DVD.
I follow the procedure described here, but always fail at the same point.

Loading kernel drivers needed to access disk drives...
Searching for Puppy files in computer disk drives...<RED TEXT>pup_400.sfs not found. Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console...<END RED TEXT>
/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
#

Here the computer just wait for very basic commands, so some of the OS is up, but I do not know how to get beyond this point.

Please help.

Isis

Howto: bootable usb drive puppy from windows

#10 Post by Isis »

Result following rico002's instructions: On boot up, it tries to boot from USB, but fails saying "Boot error." I probably messed up on some small step, but since he wrote it for an earlier version of Puppy . . . Has anyone had success using his instructions to boot 4.0 from USB? If so, did you have to tweek anything? Thank you!

I had to go to DIT today to buy two PCI cards and had him check out my USB thinking maybe it was only 1.0 compliant. It's 2.0, but he said my file probably should not be in .iso form. Silly me, :oops: I assumed that since you burned .iso for a Live-CD/DVD that the USB would be the same. When I got home, I expanded the file onto the flash, and here I am! Using my flashdrive to write this! So, cool. 8) Now when I go home next week, I'll be able to take Puppy with me and show him off!

Isis

#11 Post by Isis »

[quote="rico002"]Make bootable usb drive with puppy on it from in Windows (with/without CD/DVD drive)

1.format your stick using the Fat16 or Fat32 file system. To do this you can Download and install the HP USB tool.
By running HPUSBFW.EXE with admin rights you can format the usb drive

The above mentioned file is no longer available at that web address, but you can still get it here: http://files.filefront.com/HPUSBFWEXE/; ... einfo.html

nickvd

#12 Post by nickvd »

louijp wrote:I have an Artigo VIA Pico-ITX box, and I need to boot from USB as I do not have an USB CD/DVD.
I follow the procedure described here, but always fail at the same point.

Loading kernel drivers needed to access disk drives...
Searching for Puppy files in computer disk drives...<RED TEXT>pup_400.sfs not found. Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console...<END RED TEXT>
/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
#

Here the computer just wait for very basic commands, so some of the OS is up, but I do not know how to get beyond this point.

Please help.
Not sure if you have solved your problem, however I encountered the exact problem on both vmware workstation (v6.0.4) and my artigo box... The solution in both cases turned out to be

add the flag acpi=off to grub (or at the 5 second pause on the live cd)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#13 Post by Flash »

nickvd wrote:...add the flag acpi=off to grub (or at the 5 second pause on the live cd)
If you aren't a speed typist, you can extend the pause indefinitely by hitting the up arrow. Hit Enter when you're ready to proceed.

Dromeno

Isn't Unetbootin more simple?

#14 Post by Dromeno »

I think this is a more simple way (for beginners) to do make a bootable puppy thumbdrive:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNetbootin

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

newbie314

#15 Post by newbie314 »

I concur, UnetBootin is great.
Works like a dream for Puppy.
And then you can learn later to mod a Grub when you do an install

gbatt

Does this method save your settings?

#16 Post by gbatt »

I was wondering if the method described here, or anywhere in these forums and on this site, are a USB installation method that allows you to save any changes (installations, configurations etc.) to the USB drive when you shut down?

I am fairly new to linux and so far I have only used Ubuntu on a laptop and FaunOS on my USB drive. FaunOs saves any changes automatically at shutdown but it doesnt look like that particular distro will be geting any further support. So I am looking into new distros to use on USB flash drives, and Puppy looks awesome, but I need to be able to save changes. Thanks!

erikkire

#17 Post by erikkire »

puppy linux is the one you are looking for. search the forum for a HOW TO on installing linux on a usb flash drive. puppy linux saves changes to your usb disk.

gbatt

#18 Post by gbatt »

Is that not what this thread is? I couldn't really find any other threads on installing Puppy to a USB flash drive, but this thread seems like all you're doing is creating a "Live" CD on a USB flash drive. Thats why I asked if it saves any changes, it doesn't seem like you're really installing Puppy to the flash drive, just copying the CD contents and making it bootable.

JackiesFridge

#19 Post by JackiesFridge »

That's what they call the "frugal" install, which is best for USB drives. Don't worry--it'll work just fine, and it will indeed save your configuration on shutdown.

sacsdu

#20 Post by sacsdu »

newbie314 wrote:I concur, UnetBootin is great.
Works like a dream for Puppy.
And then you can learn later to mod a Grub when you do an install
Yeah, that's right. UnetBootin works great. LiLi USB Creator also works nice. Only requirement is that you have to use fat32 filesystem.