Getting non-PostScript printer working

Using applications, configuring, problems
MarkW

Getting non-PostScript printer working

#1 Post by MarkW »

I have a HP 4P laserjet printer which is NOT PostScript. I'd be happy with just plain text printing but I can't get the config to let me just print plain text. Any thoughts would be great! -Mark

Any drivers available to convert to PS?

#2 Post by Guest »

I'm sorry but it is probably like the Lexmark 1000, a winprinter and there is not much chance of getting it to work in Linux.

You could try searching the net to see if anyone has got it working in Linux or not.

Rich

#3 Post by Rich »

on the Lexmark website though, there is a linux developers kit download.
Maybe they're not doomed to spend eternity with Windows after all !
>> Puppy 1.0.4 Moz - LiveCD <<

menno

hp printer

#4 Post by menno »

If it is PCL(level 4 or 5 or 6) compateble then puppy have a driver for it .
You can also print directly to /dev/lp0 . But put auto linfeed on , because linux textfile ends with a lf (and not cr/lf) .

aahhaaa

#5 Post by aahhaaa »

Hi Mark- the Puppy wiki lists the HP lazerjet 4MV as working w/Puppy. Prob'ly not close enough, but...

here's something from http://www.linuxprinting.org/suggested.html

Hewlett-Packard
Most of the HP inkjet line is supported using a driver provided by HP. Most newer HP models produce very good photo and text output. Duplex printing on paper sizes up to A3 are also supported. The main limitation of the driver is that you do not have any adjustments to fine-tune the output, but the colour reproduction is already very good out-of-the-box; certainly for most consumer and business use it is quite suitable.

HP's HPLIP/HPIJS drivers are provided under a free license; like the Gimp-Print driver for Epsons, it is included in many modern Linux distributions. With the HPLIP low-level driver and the HP Toolbox many advanced functions of HP's printers get accessible, as ink/toner level monitoring, nozzle cleaning, and real full-bleed printing on all paper sizes and without necessity of a tear-off tab on the lower edge. HPLIP also supports the extra functionality of multi-function devices, as scanning and memory card reading, so it replaces the former HPOJ completely.

also links to HP's Linux drivers at: http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/

found this there:
The majority of HP LaserJet printers use the Postscript printer language and are supported by PPD files. The HP LaserJets using the PCL printer language are supported by the HPIJS driver.

MarkW

Thanks aahhaaa and others

#6 Post by MarkW »

Thanks for all the great info from you and everyone else. I'll give it a try.

I know "we" can't provide drivers for all printers, but having a few popular drivers and support for plain text would go a long way to making the average Windows user more comfy in the Linux world and not walk away after another 18 month while they roll their eyes on things like Knoppix. (BTW: I love Knoppix but I don't think I could get my dad to use it!)

I think this Puppy project is right on target as a gateway distro for the masses. -MarkW