4.1 Alpha 3

Please post any bugs you have found
Lobster
Official Crustacean

4.1 Alpha 3

#1 Post by Lobster »

Got a slow connection so gonna be a while downloading :(

Barry mentions these areas in particular:
"I'm particularly interested in knowing whether encrypted wifi is working better.
Also whether PCMCIA devices get autodetected properly."

http://www.puppylinux.com/blog/

Download and test. Have fun.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

prit1

#2 Post by prit1 »

@Lobster:

I agree, the connection to ibiblio is extremely slow. I am on a very high speed internet connection from work and the download speed for 4.1 Alpha 3 is 7-10 Kb/s.
[url=http://macpup.org][b]Macpup - The beauty of linux[/b][/url] [b] | [/b] [url=http://pritlog.com/][b]Pritlog - Simple blog app[/b][/url]

Caneri

#3 Post by Caneri »

Hi Prit,

When you get a good download...please upload it here

http://www.puppylinux.ca/puppyfiles/test/

under a new directory for the alpha3.(But I know you already know..lol)

Thanks,
Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

My PS2 mouse worked
Hooray! - well that only lasted a minute - then it froze . . . :cry:

Then tried it on my laptop (Fujitsu lifebook)
yep that was OK and . . .
the pmcia wifi card (safecom SWLCR-1100) red light came on
and then the green light came on - it found my wifi network
- I could not get a link (settings will maybe need playing with)
BUT I tried 5-6 leading up to date distros and as usual Puppy is nearly there - they could not even find the card.
If I get it working fully will let you know . . .
That would be very cool - it was a freecycle.com laptop
- no hard drive - batteries not working
If I can get it on the web and it now seems very possible . . .
WELL

WOOF WOOF!
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

nic2109

#5 Post by nic2109 »

prit1 wrote:@Lobster:

I agree, the connection to ibiblio is extremely slow. I am on a very high speed internet connection from work and the download speed for 4.1 Alpha 3 is 7-10 Kb/s.
Same speed for me at home in UK at 10pm. Gave up so will try again tomorrow.
[color=darkblue][b][size=150]Nick[/size][/b][/color]

prit1

#6 Post by prit1 »

[url=http://macpup.org][b]Macpup - The beauty of linux[/b][/url] [b] | [/b] [url=http://pritlog.com/][b]Pritlog - Simple blog app[/b][/url]

twointo1

zd1211rw firmware error

#7 Post by twointo1 »

Using a usb wifi adapter that has the zydas zd1211rw chip, the adapter appears as wlan0, but the firmware doesn't load - dmesg shows error -2, firmware not loading. I tried to modprobe zd1211rw in terminal, but I get firmware not found.

It worked in 2.17 through 4.0.

GeorgR

No USB Keyboard reaction when puppy asked for saved file

#8 Post by GeorgR »

Booting and frugal install without any problems.
No problems with mouse and usb keyboard.

When more than one save file is found while booting, puppy stopped booting and asked for input to select one of the saved files.
So far as usual.

But:
No reaction when typing any key on the usb keyboard => no way out.

As mentioned before: if no or only one file is available and puppy had started without asking for selection, no problems with usb mouse and keyboard.

dogone

CPU utilization 100% after manual CD eject

#9 Post by dogone »

(see update below)
I'm experiencing the following problem (which I believe is event manager related) after booting from CD and loading a pup_save file from my flash stick (sdb1).

After X appears and settles, I manually eject the CD (sr0). The CD icon remains on-screen and the panel CPU graph spikes. JWM continues to respond (mouse works and menus open promptly) but there's no response to desktop commands. The rectangular highlight does not appear around clicked icons. CTL+ALT+F1 or F2 switches to a terminal/login prompt that accepts "root". But when Enter is pressed, the cursor drops a line and - that's it. No password prompt. CTL+ALT+F3 returns me to X which continues to behave as described above.

This problem is consistent and repeatable when employing a pup_save on flash (I created and tested several) but. I CANNOT trigger it when using a pup_save on disk (sda1).

Update 02 July - On one occasion, this CPU spike occurred for not apparent reason - i.e. not related to CD tray activity. Still appears flash related.
Last edited by dogone on Sun 20 Jul 2008, 16:19, edited 3 times in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: zd1211rw firmware error

#10 Post by BarryK »

twointo1 wrote:Using a usb wifi adapter that has the zydas zd1211rw chip, the adapter appears as wlan0, but the firmware doesn't load - dmesg shows error -2, firmware not loading. I tried to modprobe zd1211rw in terminal, but I get firmware not found.

It worked in 2.17 through 4.0.
Does the firmware get installed? You should see /lib/firmware/zd1211 directory, with firmware files in it.

I presume that one of those files is the firmware that your modules needs.

If they are there, try this: move (not copy) all the firmware files up-one, to /lib/firmware
Then see if firmware loads.

Another thing to check, type 'ps' to check that the 'pup_event_backend_d' daemon is running -- you should see it listed twice.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

JustGreg

#11 Post by JustGreg »

Just finished a 1.5 hour download from ibililo, a bit slow, but I got it.. I did a fresh (i.e. wipe the hard drive partition) manual frugal install. I rebooted and tried my wifi WPA2 network bash scripts. No problem connecting.

I did check ffmpeg and found the same problem that I reported for alpha2. The ffmpeg version does not support using the audio and video devices for input. The version of source is listed as unknown.

I will also try theClassmate and 2goPC to see what happens.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

geneven

BCM43xx Doesn't work

#12 Post by geneven »

My BCM43xx wireless doesn't work with Alpha 3. No access point is found.

Weirder, what has always been seen as eth1 is now seen as eth0, and my non-wireless network card, which is always seen as eth0, is now seen as eth1.

I tried loading alternate modules with no success.

I rebooted and tried lots of command line stuff with iwconfig and ifconfig but they didn't help.

Scan when I'm in the network wizard doesn't show a network.

3.01 worked perfectly, and about half of the Dingo series works fine.

I switched to another puppy (I don't remember the name, but it has a dropdown menu with a skull for "Kill" and is based on Opera) which I think is based on some Dingo, and instantly connected by wireless.

The good news is that the details of my wireless connection were remembered between boots, which has usually not been the case. I have always had to have a script for the iwconfig, ifconfig and route settings. Unfortunately, remembering something that doesn't work doesn't help much in practical terms.

twointo1

Reply to Barry's Questions regarding zd1211 firmware

#13 Post by twointo1 »

Barry,

I tried both of the actions you requested. PS shows zd1211rw twice. Moving the firmware from /lib/firmware/zd1211 to /lib/firmware doesn't help.

The error message is "error loading firmware zd1211/zd1211_ub error -2. In addition, in terminal using "ifconfig wlan0 up" gives me a "file not found SIOSG...something(couldn't remember the exact spelling - sorry.

Also tried this on my laptop that has the broadcom 4306 mini-pci adapter. I'm getting no connection to my wep ap. Sees it, but no connection. No firmware is being loaded, but is loaded in 4.0
edit: I get the same "file not found SIOSG.... error with the ifconfig eth1 up command.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by twointo1 on Tue 01 Jul 2008, 02:32, edited 1 time in total.

dogone

Device icon right-click default action

#14 Post by dogone »

It might be better if right-clicking a device icon defaulted to "Unmount..." rather than "Remove item(s)".

Caneri

#15 Post by Caneri »

[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

prit1

#16 Post by prit1 »

Ran this Puppy on frugal.

I am very impressed with the operation of Barry's replacement for HotPup. Everything worked for me as expected.

The normal tasks I run did well on this Puppy. Unlike last time, network setting was saved and retrieved on every reboot.

The only problem I found so far was that the internet was slower compared to Dingo and other earlier Puppy's. I cant think of a reason for this.
Last edited by prit1 on Tue 01 Jul 2008, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.

lwill

#17 Post by lwill »

Just did a full install to internal IDE hard drive. I had to mount the cd first. This never happened before, it would mount itself. Was this intentional, or a bug?

Lyle

Sage

#18 Post by Sage »

Oh dear, dear - one step forward.....
This one is a lot slower in all departments and browser won't start from liveCD either from icon or menu; haven't tried CLI, yet. Will try a re-burn later, but everything else seems to work. Great opportunity to eliminate Seamurky once and for all?!!

Xorg quirky and XVESA not displaying icons.

I've noted the Iwill effect, supra, recently, too.

Furthermore, most distros try to guess some starting values for the Static IP settings as a courtesy for the user. Au contraire, Puppy 4.x now rejects a single DNS value - this is new. It makes testers go back and fill in all the boxes - unacceptable! And what about ISPs that only send out a single value! This needs urgent resetting back to the way things worked in eg 1.0.8r1.

CTRL-ALT-BKSPACE still produces instant power off (yes - shutdown/poweroff that cannot be achieved by normal means!) for SiS chipsets and some other indefinable junk around here. This has been a feature for some while. A few other distros also do this. I've reported it several(?) times.

jake_take

Re: Reply to Barry's Questions regarding zd1211 firmware

#19 Post by jake_take »

twointo1 wrote:The error message is "error loading firmware zd1211/zd1211_ub error -2. In addition, in terminal using "ifconfig wlan0 up" gives me a "file not found SIOSG...
I have the just same error both in Puppy 4.0.2 and 4.0.3. My wifi card is GW-US54GXS (VID:2019, PID:5303) and works well with zd1211rw in Puppy 4.00(k-2.6.25).

eprv

my experience

#20 Post by eprv »

Epia V motherboard booted from USB stick

Excellent, everything just works, almost all modules are loaded including hwmon and vt8231, only missing cyblafb for the onboard trident VGA chip, this is loaded correctly in Zenwalk and performs a little faster.

Had no problems with applications, all are running well and fast.

Great work, this is the best Puppy so far.