Using usb-boot pupxxx file when using live-cd

Booting, installing, newbie
calyth

Using usb-boot pupxxx file when using live-cd

#1 Post by calyth »

Here's my problem.
I've booted my usbkey with Puppy Linux 1.0.2, and installed some software. I know that it's installed under /root/.usr (ie some pupxxx file, pup100 in this case).
However, I wanted to use this on another computer, and the boot floppy just won't work. So I'm booting off the live-cd, and want to use one pupxxx file.
However, I've yet to see any instructions?
I think I could try a symlink, but then I just recognized that the USB key is on UMSDOS, and wonder if that would be possible. It's just inconvenient that I have to maintain two separate files and taking up space.[/list]

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#2 Post by nduanetesh »

EDIT: I just realized that this reply assumes you can boot the "other computer" into some other OS (I assumed Windows) to do the copying of files. Is that true? If not, it mucks things up a bit...

OK, if you want USB puppy and a liveCD to use the same pupXXX file, here's what you do...

Copy your existing pup100 file from your usb key to your hard drive. (I'm actually not even sure this can be done, since there's a special file system inside the file...but give it a shot). (If it can't be done, just use the pup001 file that your liveCD created.) Rename it to pup001. While you're at it, copy usr_cram.fs to the hard drive as well. (Both need to go in the root of the C drive, btw.)

OK, as far as your live CD is concerned, you're good to go. the CD will boot up, find the pup001 file and use it. to get the USB key using that same file:

find the syslinux.cfg file on the USB key and change
PHOME=sda1
to
PHOME=hda1

then change:
PFILE=pup100-none-262144
to
PFILE=pup001-none-262144

This will cause the USB key to use the pup001 file on the hard drive when it boots. The reason you had to copy usr_cram.fs to the hard drive is because if you tell USB puppy that that's where PHOME is (PHOME= where the pup file is), then it will also search for usr_cram.fs there. If it can't find usr_cram, the boot will end in a very limited shell and you'll have very little fun.

Now, after all of that...

I suspect what you're actually wanting to do is have the liveCD puppy use the pup100 file on your usb key, so that you can then take the key to another computer and still have all of your downloaded stuff? I'm sure this can be done somehow...but it's beyond my powers. Maybe someone else will have some advice for you...

You could write a script that would copy pup001 from the hard drive to your USB key at shut down...It wouldn't be elegant, but it would be effective.

Good luck.

ND

PS. Did I read somewhere (the old forum, maybe?) that someone had figured out how to get a puppy liveCD to store your pup001 file on a USB key? Or was that another distro? MandrakeMove does something like that, I think...

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#3 Post by nduanetesh »

Ah-HA!!

Check this wiki page:

http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/USB

Apparently, for some reason, in this case puppy will not search for usr_cram.fs in the same place indicated in PHOME....

ND