How to do a FULL install of Puppy, to an empty HDD (2010)

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
robertito

#41 Post by robertito »

It seems it's a question of having the right kernel, but I'm not capable of knowing how to fix it at the moment.

ErosP

thread bump

#42 Post by ErosP »

Just me bumping the thread to the top - I asked the powers to be to make this a sticky, I think it's that useful!

Eros

CatDude

Re: thread bump

#43 Post by CatDude »

Hi Eros
ErosP wrote:Just me bumping the thread to the top - I asked the powers to be to make this a sticky, I think it's that useful!
I appreciate the thought, and your tenacity.

Many thanks

CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

ieee488

#44 Post by ieee488 »

Terrific!

It also showed me that there wasn't a problem with a portion of the LCD on my laptop.

The top left corner of your screen captures of X shows a bit of fuzziness too which means it is in the photo used for the background and not my LCD.

CatDude

#45 Post by CatDude »

Hi ieee488
ieee488 wrote:Terrific!
Thanks.
ieee488 wrote: It also showed me that there wasn't a problem with a portion of the LCD on my laptop.

The top left corner of your screen captures of X shows a bit of fuzziness too which means it is in the photo used for the background and not my LCD.
I think you will find that it is actually the icon of the house that is blurred,
see the image below where i have relocated the icon.
Still very blurry, yes.

CatDude
Attachments
icons.png
(50.82 KiB) Downloaded 2374 times

ErosP

bumpitty-bump and then some!

#46 Post by ErosP »

Alrighty... first things first - BUMP!

Second, now I know that this is the amazing HDD install thread ( :arrow: hey moderators, make this a sticky :!: ) but I have to ask (slightly OT) how you go about changing the wallpaper on your screen in Puppy? Dumb question perhaps, but when one is coming from a WinDoze environment like me, Linux can seem a tad confusing at times.

CatDude, maybe you might want to do a series if graphical how-tos or put together a "PL for Dummies" type of publication for the rest of us WinDoze refugees? :wink:

Regards,
Eros

p.s. promise no other OT questions on this thread!

bambuko

Re: bumpitty-bump and then some!

#47 Post by bambuko »

ErosP wrote:... I have to ask (slightly OT) how you go about changing the wallpaper on your screen in Puppy?...
from one Puppy newb to another :lol:
assuming you are talking about 4.0 read this (others might be different):
http://www.puppylinux.org/manual
trust me - the answer is there (I have found it :P )
ErosP wrote:...p.s. promise no other OT questions on this thread!
it's just that it makes searching for answers difficult and messy - why clutter CatDude's excellent topic with questions that have nothing to do with it :roll:

Chris

Bandito

Missing Operating System

#48 Post by Bandito »

Machine is IBM ThinkPad 600E, 128 Mb RAM, 6 Gb hdd. Machine boots and operates flawlessly from CD-ROM. Followed procedure here for full install and installation of GRUB, plus subsequent advice. Puppy is installed and I've edited the menu1st file as advised. But on reboot I get a "Missing operating system" error. Please advise.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#49 Post by Béèm »

@catdude
Having seen your initial post with the screen shots, can you tell me how you defined a hda in Qemu?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Tubatasm

#50 Post by Tubatasm »

After having (seemingly) successfully done a full install onto an empty HD, I was loading on some .pup files and the computer froze. If this was windows, I would have ctl, alt, deleted, but being linux I didn't know hat kind of adverse effects there might be to doing this. So instead I simply pressed the power button and shut it off. Now, when I restarted, it begins booting, and senses the mouse and key board, and then right after checking for a modem it presents me with

#

a linux prompt. x_x. Can you tihnk of any way to get past this and back into the GUI? Need any more info?

thanks,
Chris

Trip[ABK]

#51 Post by Trip[ABK] »

Tubatasm wrote:After having (seemingly) successfully done a full install onto an empty HD, I was loading on some .pup files and the computer froze. If this was windows, I would have ctl, alt, deleted, but being linux I didn't know hat kind of adverse effects there might be to doing this. So instead I simply pressed the power button and shut it off. Now, when I restarted, it begins booting, and senses the mouse and key board, and then right after checking for a modem it presents me with

#

a linux prompt. x_x. Can you tihnk of any way to get past this and back into the GUI? Need any more info?

thanks,
Chris
i believe its still ctrl alt del..then like ctrl alt..backspace or somen....

i had somen simmular...mine just spammed some error when i was messin with the screen resolution..it buged my screen..was nothing to click on..goood ol power button solved that...then ye..tried to boot..got some error just spammmmin i was like sweeeeet...i put the cd back in..booted from disk..formatted the hd again...installled etc etc..it works now..just wont try things idk about yet...so ye if it wont boot that would be my best advice...im sure theres some other complicated way to fix it though.----note....ive been on puppy for like a 2 days lol.

ninux

how to?

#52 Post by ninux »

Hi to all...
Me too I was trying to install a full puppy linux in the HD.
I followed exactly the how-to that it was proposed, I saw this one too, but IT DOESN'T WORK!!! :cry: :cry: why???

To be clear, I have 2 partitions hda1 with ext3 and hda2 with vfat but only dingo installed in the HD.

The fact is that in the menu.lst there is not any entry such:

# Linux bootable partition config begins
title Linux at (on /dev/hda5)
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5 ro vga=normal
# Linux bootable partition config ends

Have I to edit by myself, without questioni and filling the post of my OT???

I promise that I don't wan't to Ask no more...

THANKS anyways to everybody

sideburns

#53 Post by sideburns »

First, I'd like to add my voice to the chorus of congratulations you're receiving for a fine walk-through.

Second, I'd like to make sure of one thing: I'm using Fedora 9 on my desktop, and have an old laptop still running Win98 that I'm planning on putting Dingo on. From what I gather, if I do a full HD install, it will work the same way as my desktop does (within its limits, of course) and I won't have to worry about a save file. Right?

Third, I'd like to see if I can combine two steps here: is there any reason that I can't use Gparted to blow away my current partition after I've pulled off whatever I want to keep, then rebuild as two partitions (/ and /swap) and continue as instructed?

Last, I've asked before but didn't get an answer. I know that in Puppy, $HOME is /root. Is there any way to set up a third partition, mounted at /root during the install? If not, I know how to play around with /etc/fstab later if I feel like it. (The reason I might want to do this is for insulation during upgrades.)
Registered Linux user #470359

ninux

finally!!!!

#54 Post by ninux »

At the end I resolved it!!!

That was the better guide really!!!

Even if I've had to re-unformat, and repartition the HD... Only after that Linux appeared in the menu.lst...

A little note: Take attention after the repartition to check as BOOT in the hda1, don't be as me :oops: :oops: , or GRUB never starts!!!

many thanks,

Excuse me for the impatience!!!

endo101

#55 Post by endo101 »

Ok I did the install exactly how the pictures show, Only it doesn't ask me where the puppylinux is located. So I never click CD. I do however click Full Install. I get everything running and it seems to be ok for a little while. But after a couple of restarts I get this message

Loading kernel modules cardmgr[1704]: could not open /var/run/cardmgr.pid:input/output error.

Then it says looking for ip address timeout 60 seconds. But it never goes anywhere. It just gets stuck there. Now if I remove my network card, none of this comes up and I get this message.

executing personal config script /rct/rc.d/rc.local

and then it just gets stuck there. What could be going on?

sideburns

#56 Post by sideburns »

Well, I've answered one of my questions: no, you can't use the Gpartd on Puppy to nuke your Windows partition if you've saved your settings. The partition is mounted and can't be unmounted. (Maybe if you've never saved anything it would work, but I don't know.) I tried using my desktop to download the GPartd LiveCD, but it took forever to load and couldn't handle my old hardware.

I thought I had an old Win98 boot floppy, but couldn't find it. Then, I had a D'oh! moment: I rebooted, using F8 to get a menu, and selected Command Prompt Only. then, I used the MSDos fdisk to nuke the partition and rebooted into Puppy. Now formatting and will let you all know if there's anything else interesting about my install.
Registered Linux user #470359

Ketracel

#57 Post by Ketracel »

thanks very much for this! I used it to install macpup foxy. Only thing is that after wards, I noticed that the screen uses 800x600x16 but it has a black margin all around it. That is to say, the whole screen on the laptop is not used. This is what I've noticed from the very first attempt to install macpup, even when I clicked on xorg before. how can I fix this?

-2- I would like to install celtx:
http://celtx.com/download.html
how do I do this?

-3- I would like to be able to add a usb wireless adapter so that it can connect to the internet at a starbucks or other wifi networks. how can I do this?

Thank you!

Bluegrassman

#58 Post by Bluegrassman »

Awesome tutorial CatDude! I'm a first time Linux user, and installed Puppy with no issues thanks to your instructions! :D 8)

CatDude

#59 Post by CatDude »

Hello All

Please let me apologise for not responding sooner.
I recently moved to a new house, and have only just (Today) got my internet connection put back on.

@Béèm
@catdude
Having seen your initial post with the screen shots, can you tell me how you defined a hda in Qemu?
Hello Béèm
Well i didn't do anything in particular, it just named it as such.
Sorry i can't give any more info than that

@Tubatasm
Now, when I restarted, it begins booting, and senses the mouse and key board, and then right after checking for a modem it presents me with

#

Hello Tubatasm
Have you tried typing xwin at the prompt ?

@endo101
Ok I did the install exactly how the pictures show, Only it doesn't ask me where the puppylinux is located. So I never click CD. I do however click Full Install. I get everything running and it seems to be ok for a little while. But after a couple of restarts I get this message

Loading kernel modules cardmgr[1704]: could not open /var/run/cardmgr.pid:input/output error.

Then it says looking for ip address timeout 60 seconds. But it never goes anywhere. It just gets stuck there. Now if I remove my network card, none of this comes up and I get this message.

executing personal config script /rct/rc.d/rc.local

and then it just gets stuck there. What could be going on?
Hello endo101
Sorry but i have no idea what is going on.
The only thing i can suggest is to start a new thread in the beginners section, hopefully someone there may be able to help you.

@Ketracel
thanks very much for this! I used it to install macpup foxy. Only thing is that after wards, I noticed that the screen uses 800x600x16 but it has a black margin all around it. That is to say, the whole screen on the laptop is not used. This is what I've noticed from the very first attempt to install macpup, even when I clicked on xorg before. how can I fix this?

-2- I would like to install celtx:
http://celtx.com/download.html
how do I do this?

-3- I would like to be able to add a usb wireless adapter so that it can connect to the internet at a starbucks or other wifi networks. how can I do this?
Hello Ketracel
With regard to your issue with the screen res, maybe you will also get more help if you started a new thread.
As to celtx, i am not familiar with it, so cannot help you with that.
For the USB wireless adapter, do a search on the forum, there are quite a few threads on the subject.

@Bluegrassman
Awesome tutorial CatDude! I'm a first time Linux user, and installed Puppy with no issues thanks to your instructions! :D 8)
Hello Bluegrassman
Thankyou very much, its nice to know that you found it useful and easy to follow.

CatDude

adam933

#60 Post by adam933 »

Great HowTo. Thanks for working it up for us.

I have an older PC with two HDs - the first drive (C) has Win2000 on it and boots.

The second drive (F) only has data on it (NTFS format), and I'd like to use it entirely for Puppy 4.0 and have a dual boot system.

Could I use this tutorial, re-format the second drive, and install GRUB in the MBR of the first drive for dual booting.?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.