Alsa Mixer - How Does This Thing Work?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
goofeyfoot

Alsa Mixer - How Does This Thing Work?

#1 Post by goofeyfoot »

I finally got some kind of module to load that looks like it will run on my junker laptop.

Here's the module language that I found in one of the posts:

modprobe snd-es18xx mpu_port=0x330 irq=5 dma1=1 dma2=5 isapnp=0

I heard a little thump in the speakers so that's a good sign.

Then I ran Alsamixer and all these little dial things come up.

Well here's a stupid question. How come you can't move those dials. I push my up and down arrows and nothing happens.

Does anyone know how you work this thing?

Thanks.

Michael

WhoDo

Re: Alsa Mixer - How Does This Thing Work?

#2 Post by WhoDo »

goofeyfoot wrote:Well here's a stupid question. How come you can't move those dials. I push my up and down arrows and nothing happens.

Try tabbing. Does that change screens? Try left and right arrows to select different dials, then try your arrow keys again.

Hope that helps.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

goofeyfoot

Re: Alsa Mixer - How Does This Thing Work?

#3 Post by goofeyfoot »

WhoDo wrote:
goofeyfoot wrote:Well here's a stupid question. How come you can't move those dials. I push my up and down arrows and nothing happens.

Try tabbing. Does that change screens? Try left and right arrows to select different dials, then try your arrow keys again.

Hope that helps.
Honestly I tried tabs, up, down, everything and nothing moves the dials. but then again, I don't have any sound either (that I know of) so maybe something is messed up. Well, something is always messed up, but maybe this no sound thing does keep alsamixer from working.

Thanks.

Michael

Pizzasgood

#4 Post by Pizzasgood »

These are all just guesses and probably won't help:
Do your arrow keys work? In a terminal?
Pressig [ctrl]-[s] in a terminal suspends the video. Pressing [ctrl]-[q] puts things back to normal. This doesn't apply with RXVT but it does in Sakura.
If you have the windowmanager configured to have focus follow the mouse, the mouse will need to be hovering over the window for the keys to do anything.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]