Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

rodrigt

#22 Post by rodrigt »

puppyluvr wrote:
> ... and Transitions was there 3rd link from the bottom...

:oops: I focused on the top of the Date column and didn't read the bottom of the page - sorry! :oops:

What a great Transition package you have created for us Windows renegades - Puppy newbies! I'm up and running with Transitions and love it! My initial primary interest is being able to open email attachments without the Windows security nightmare; in particular, for PowerPoint files I'm stuck in Dingo 4 unable to get tonicpoint.pet to work properly, but with (Open Office's) Simpress that worked OK. Here are some comments and a question:

Comments -
-- Transitions presupposes that newcomers already know about downloading .iso, MD5 Checksum, BurnCDCC, etc. Perhaps an intro page with a set of sequential pertinent links would be helpful. (Also for Setup once they manage to boot.)
-- My first (LiveCD) booting attempt got stuck forever (more than a few minutes) trying lo load the ???pup3.??? file onto RAM. Perhaps I didn't wait long enough. I assumed Transitions was getting confused with existing Dingo 4 files on the HD, thus I moved them elsewhere and the next boot went OK.
-- CUPS printing setup didn't work, it invoked Firefox but the page was 'not found'. (This had worked OK for me with Dingo 4.)

Question - Is it possible to uninstall some unneeded applications? E.g. OO' SBase and SMath, also Chat? - Thanks.

rodrigt

#23 Post by rodrigt »

Puppyluvr,

Update - After using Transitions full-time for a couple of days I offer a couple of comments:

-- Must Fix - CUPS Setup is not working. Upon invoking it, what shows up (after the purple page) is the browser with a 'page not found' error message. The reference at www.linuxprinting.org is plagued with 'page not found' links and all this defeats the goal of making it easy for Windows renegades to get going with Transitions.

-- Sure would be nice - Setting up FireFox to automatically open email attachments and including that setup in your next Distro. As a Win renegade, one of the key things that motivated me toward Puppy was being able to open attachments without the Win security nightmare. (And newcomers are not likely to be familiar with setting preferences on the browser and Open Office.)

I look forward to eventually giving copies of your new Distro to my friends. Thanks for your great contribution!

puppyluvr

#24 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello :D

@rodrigt,
Thank you. :D As far as CUPS goes, Ive never really messed with it. :oops: I do know that if you
try cups.org, they have drivers for a lot of printers, and the links I tried worked. The Purple page
explains what do do with the file after you have downloaded it.
CUPS doesnt have the drivers for either of my Lexmark printers, so I must confess not having
thought of it much when building Transitions. Guess I should have checked that default address
for CUPS .. :oops: I`ll look around and find the current , correct address for CUPS , and be SURE
to include it next time around!!! I`m lazy, so I just save the doc to a SD card via usb, and print it
from my printer directly .

As far as setting the Browser settings as you mentioned, heres the deal. 8) The last thing I do
before the final remaster, before creating the ISO, is erase all the browser and chat/voip personal
files, out of habit. I learned the hard way, when I gave a CD release to a friend, and he E-mailed
me from my own account!! :oops: I guess I could leave selected things set, in a future release.

Thanks,
Jay
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

rodrigt

#25 Post by rodrigt »

puppyluvr wrote::D Hello :D
As far as setting the Browser settings as you mentioned, heres the deal. 8) The last thing I do
before the final remaster, before creating the ISO, is erase all the browser and chat/voip personal
files, out of habit. I learned the hard way, when I gave a CD release to a friend, and he E-mailed
me from my own account!! :oops: I guess I could leave selected things set, in a future release.
Puppyluvr,

Thanks for that cautionary note! As I am planning to share my Puppy build with family and friends the same could have happened to me. I'm familiar with how to erase all history on the browser but would appreciate your insights on how you erase voip stuff (I use Skype). To avoid straying off-topic, if you prefer you could send me a private message - Thank you.

puppyluvr

#26 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello rodrigt :D

@ I always try to post to the thread when possible, as you never know, someone else
may have the same question.

I use Gizmo rather than Skype. In Gizmo the profile info is in .Gizmo (hidden)in a
folder with your screen name. Just delete it. I assume the same procedure would
apply to Skype as well..

@ Were you able to find the drivers at CUPS.org for your printer??

Thanks....Jay 8)
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

rodrigt

#27 Post by rodrigt »

Puppyluvr,
Thank you for the opportunity to test Transitions; however, my needs are different and as a novice I need to stumble along toward my own Dingo build. As a Windows renegade my first objective with Puppy is for browsing the Internet and being able to open all email attachments, and forever get away from the security vulnerability and painful slowness of browsing the Internet via Windows. With this in mind Transitions was attractive because of Impress (within Open Office) for opening PowerPoint attachments. However, thanks to Muggins' great help I have now succeeded with tonicpoint.pet for viewing Powerpoint and I really don't need the entire OO suite. My objective is to build my own Dingo strictly as a LiveCD for Internet browsing - as lean as possible.

As a side topic we discussed the need to delete all personal information before sharing one'e Puppy build with others:
puppyluvr wrote: As far as setting the Browser settings as you mentioned, heres the deal. 8) The last thing I do
Given Puppy's impressive faster Internet browsing speed my friends and family are now asking me for a copy of my LiveCD. Thus I've started a new thread on removing personal data before sharing a Puppy build - Including your insights regarding Gizmo - Thanks (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 383#212383)

puppyluvr

#28 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Now that was a quick "Transition" :D

Colonel Panic

#29 Post by Colonel Panic »

Looks very interesting. I'm downloading it now and look forward to trying it (provided the connection speeds up - it's slower than molasses atm).

puppyluvr

#30 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Colonel Panic,
Great. I hope it serves you well..
Remember, for lower ram machines, the "pfix=noram" option works with this 3.01 Puplet.
GSlapt works well too....Good luck, enjoy, and let me know how it goes.... :D

Colonel Panic

#31 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks. Sadly the download died at about 145 MB (not your fault - more the crummy connection we have in our community centre right now), so I haven't been able to test it yet.

8-bit

#32 Post by 8-bit »

I downloaded Transitions on the second try and the checksum matched.
I then fired up VirtualBox for a quick look-see.
I got the error message a few new users get about pup_301.sfs not found.
So I burnt a cd and tried again.
I got the same message.
Then it hit me as to why I was getting that error.
I was running a pc with both SATA cdrom and SATA hard drive.
And guess what?
301 was never compiled to support SATA anything.
SATA support came later.
So keep that in mind when trying to run older Puppy iso's on later hardware!
By the way, it booted fine on another computer with PATA (IDE) drives.
That makes me wonder about that notorious pup_xxx.sfs file not found error that more than a few users post about and if it is just a matter of their hardware not being supported by the version they are trying to boot.

puppyluvr

#33 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
I booted Transitions on my Wifes Vista Laptop, with sata drives, and it booted..
However the CD is ide....
Also, pmount is all jacked up, and switching to mut wipes both pmount and mut out completely...
You may be on to something....
When I update Transitions, I may use SlackerPup, which is 4.12 with Slackware under the hood. Works great, and may be just the ticket...

8-bit

#34 Post by 8-bit »

Further thoughts on boot sequence.
Say you boot Puppy from CD, external usb drive, usb stick, etc.
First, you get the short help screen for boot options.
Everything ok so far.
Then the kernel boots and loads modules needed to access drives etc.
Everything ok so far.
Now comes the part where pup_xxx.sfs is not found.
The reason is that even though you were able to boot as far as the kernel, the kernel is NOT loading drivers to support ALL your hardware.
And since SATA support was added in later puppy versions, they boot but the early ones do not.
I went through something like this with a Parallel Port cd drive.
I could pass boot to it, but Puppy, not having the driver for it in the kernel, would quit at trying to find the pup_xxx.sfs file.
What I am getting at is that if some hardware support is not incorporated in the kernel, the full boot fails.

Colonel Panic

#35 Post by Colonel Panic »

Hi again. I've finally managed to download Transitions Linux today and am posting from it now. It's early days yet but it looks like it more than fulfils its promise to replace Windows on the desktop - at least Windows XP. Thanks puppyluvr for a good effort.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Colonel Panic

#36 Post by Colonel Panic »

Just one thing though; it lacks certain categories of software which people in office situations need and use, in particular a calendar program and an e-mail client.

For myself I've added Ical and xcalendar for the first and sylpheed for the second, but since this is a big Pup I'd say Thunderbird and Sunbird are good choices for each (and also correspond with Firefox as Mozilla products).
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.