I downloaded, burned and ran 106rc, at boot I got this error
unknown keyword in config file
unknown keyword in config file
and system halted
:?:

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Why do you think this should be a sticky?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

Okay, you are upgrading from 1.0.5?
...it would seem so.

Boot up you 1.0.5 CD, look in /root/.packages/
-- in there, you should be seeing some files ending in .keyword.
-- look at each of those,anything strange about any of them?

Each .keyword file should be in the form of packagename.keyword, for
example: opera-7.54.keyword and inside it: Opera

The thought that comes to mind right now is that one of these files is
weird.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

If you do find a weird one, delete it.
Then change /etc/puppyversion back to 105, then try booting the 1.0.6rc CD.

user-786

#5 Post by user-786 »

Dear Barry
Thanks for reply. And no I was not upgrading from 105.

I was never able to save my sessions back to CD so I never really used 105 lately. All the other Puppy flavours like Graph Pup and Pizza Pup are also based on 105, so I don't use them either (same problem), Oct20th ISO solved this "saving back to CD" problem but it was only "Multisession CD" so I do not use that either.

I currently use 104 and and with help from Alienx forum name, I was able to create my Custom builed of Puppy with my favorite apps like OPERA, SUNBIRD, START-ITEMS, MT-Paint 2.03, LEAFPAD 0.8.3, IceWM etc.

I really would like to use 106 but need your help.

I think 104 is still the latest Stable version and 105 should be called 106rc-1 and 106rc as 106rc-2. But this is just my own experience based opinion. Others may have a different point of view.

As I do not have any Hard Drive in my system, (I had but it is now Unplugged as I like to run CD as MS_Live CD running only from the Ram-Disk, so far no problems in 104)I am not able to test any Puppy with pupxxx file. And, I left Windows for Good (and I think for the better)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#6 Post by BarryK »

So, you have a pup001 file and it is version 1.0.4?
Therefore, you are doing an upgrade when you boot the 1.0.6 live-CD,
therefore my earlier comments apply.

You might like to look at /etc/puppyversion -- it might have got changed
to 106 by the new CD.

#7 Post by Guest »

Dear Barry

I know it is impolite to quote your self but I think I will have to. Sorry in advance
As I do not have any Hard Drive in my system, I am not able to test any Puppy with pupxxx file
I am not upgrading, I want to start fresh.

Help please ..

user-786

#8 Post by user-786 »

I forgot to write my name user-786 in above post. It was ME

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#9 Post by GuestToo »

if you boot 1.0.6rc clean, there should be no .keyword files in /root/.packages (i don't have any ... i have not tried to install any pupget packages ... by the way, i think Barry said to not install pupget packages except for some small simple ones, because the server still has the 1.0.5 packages, not the 1.0.6 packages)

if you have a pup001 file or if you boot multi-session, and you install pupget packages, .keyword files may be put in /root/.packages ... or you may have the files from a previous pup001 file ... this might be your problem

http://www.pupweb.org/puppy/news.htm[quote]RESTRICTION:
The PupGet packages at ibiblio.org have not yet been upgraded for 1.0.6. Some packages have changed and there are new ones. Therefore, do not use the PupGet package manager, except to maybe download a simple package like a game, to test that the package manager basically works.[/quote]

Puppy 1.0.5 had a lot of new stuff, so it would not be surprising if there were some bugs ... i put every bugfix i could find in my SP 105 dotpup, but there were no major bugfixes to put in that i know of ... multisession did not work properly, but that requires remastering, which a dotpup can't do ... i did try an experimental bugfix dotpup that seemed to more-or-less fix the multi-session-no-longer-saving bug, but it was a very simple and limited change, the real fix is 1.0.6

BarryK
Puppy Master

#10 Post by BarryK »

Okay, you're booting on a system with no hard drive...
in that case I have no idea what those error messages mean.

It was unclear from your messages, but you are booting the
multisession live CD? I don't really understand this paragraph:
I was never able to save my sessions back to CD so I never really used 105 lately. All the other Puppy flavours like Graph Pup and Pizza Pup are also based on 105, so I don't use them either (same problem), Oct20th ISO solved this "saving back to CD" problem but it was only "Multisession CD" so I do not use that either.

user-786

#11 Post by user-786 »

BarryK wrote:I don't really understand this paragraph:
Let me rephrase my previous post so my situation is cleared.

I have a Hard-Disk less machine so my only choice to run Puppy is Ms_LiveCD if I want to save anything. Therefore, when I boot for the first time, any Puppy, any version, I boot with Option 5. When I get puppy going, I make some changes and then at Shut down or reboot , I opt to save session. So far, 104 is doing it with no problems.

But, when I boot 105, 105rc, PizzaPup, GraphPup, I see errors like

00files.deleted and 00files.deleted have same Joliet file name, can not save session, or
mkisofs, no files or folder found with this name. Can not save session

Hence I wrote that I was not able to save sessions back to CD at the end of the session. But strangely, First session is always saved without problem.
The problem occurs in saving subsequent sessions on all the above mentioned versions/flavours.

This problem was solved in 20thOct ISO but no archive folder at boot up. I think I reported that and you (Barry) had responded to the post some time back.

So now I need help ...

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#12 Post by Flash »

Remember when you report a bug in multisession Puppy that you are helping to develop a unique and experimental idea. Multisession Puppy has made great improvement lately but should not yet be expected to work perfectly. Please do keep testing, and be patient.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#13 Post by BarryK »

This problem was solved in 20thOct ISO but no archive folder at boot up. I think I reported that and you (Barry) had responded to the post some time back.
In that case, the release version of 1.0.6 should solve your problem.
The problem of disappearing empty folders has been fixed -- in 1.0.6 you will
see another file, 00emptydirs.backup that shows all empty directories and makes sure they exist.
...um, that's in the multisession iso 1.0.6rc as well I think.

which brings us back to the first post...
have you actually tried the puppy-multisession-1.0.6rc-mozilla.iso?