Skype sounds like the chipmunks

Using applications, configuring, problems
menno

Skype sounds like the chipmunks

#1 Post by menno »

I read on the Skipe forum that there are a lot of problems with the soundcards. I download the dotpup and installed it . As i assepted no sound . I found a skipe_dsp_hijack version 0.6 that makes a halfduplex sound card into a 'full duplex' . Now I have sound BUT the lady how trys to tell you something on echo123 sound if I was running a LP(33 rpm) on 45 rpm . But the text I speak to echo123 return correctly . The same if I call somebody them he hear me and I hear him as running a LP on 45 rpm . I cann't find any solution for this problem .
I running a OpenA board with AD1885 AC97 Codec (soundmax analogdevice)

menno

#2 Post by menno »

The .wav files are connected to wavplay . The sound is equal of that of Skype . If I connect them to play.tcl then they sound correct .
Annyone know why ?

erweb

I have a similar problem

#3 Post by erweb »

IBM T30 laptop, SoundMax digital device. When I can hear anything that is. Usually I can't. I can only make one call, the next call gives me a sound device problem and I have to kill and restart. My calls out do get through, but nothing can be heard on both ends. or ocasionally if I get a voicemail announcement, it sounds like a ... chipmunk.

When I test the sound (levelmaker, etc.) it is fine, both mike and headset.

Can anyone please help.

MU

#4 Post by MU »

menno

#5 Post by menno »

erweb :
I can only make one call, the next call gives me a sound device problem and I have to kill and restart.
Look at http://juljas.net/linux/skype/

menno

#6 Post by menno »

MU , I download the files . that's a lot of bytes . Do you know this solves the sound problem with Skype or it solves only the problem with wavplay ?

MU

#7 Post by MU »

It just replaces "wavplay".

So programs using that, should run ok.
Programs using another mechanism to play wav will have no success.

Mark

menno

#8 Post by menno »

Mark , Danke

I saw that play.tcl works correct . I replaced wavplay by a link to play.tcl . This didn't help .
If I install your 'playwave' will it behave differend ? I could try it , but I like to understand it why.
As far I understand knowbody has any expirens with Skype ? I tryed Qnext but that VoIp does not work either .

Gruesse Menno .

erweb

Didn't help

#9 Post by erweb »

Tested waveplay with Skype. Still chipmunk voice ...

Downgraded to skype 1.10.....will see what happens

erweb

Not much success

#10 Post by erweb »

Downgraded to Skype 1.10... Doesn't crap out after 1st call any more but ... chipmunk voice didn't go away and can't communicate - after I accept the call from another party skype throws "read error, res = -1 , handle = 25" and my voice can not be heard. I am giving up ... for tonight

menno

error -1 etc.

#11 Post by menno »

did you use 'skype_dsp_hijack' by my this solves the error .
This happens because Skype dosn't close the mic driver correctly .
Look at http://juljas.net/linux/skype/.
It seem to my that Skype direct goes into the /dev/dsp maybe with wrong parameters or the dev is a older date . I have no idea how to find that out , sorry .