Hurt Me Plenty 01

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
MU

#21 Post by MU »

yeah, it can take some weeks, to finish all the mods :)

I still could not finish them all myself.
When I made the iso, I played again 1-2 days, but when I created the dotpups, several weeks.
And there is more to come, not all mods I have are included, and neither is quake 1 with really large mods like Nehahra. That has the size of a full Quake game.

I'll make that CD somewhen in the second half of 2008 :)

Yes, the Doom-music is midy, played with the instrument-banks of timidity.

Glad you like it,
Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

dinky

#22 Post by dinky »

Hi MU, not bad, just tried this. Probably not my style of games (not into violence), but I like the setup and configuration of this puppy. Issues for me come down to mainly size, and it being really slow on my machine. Am assuming this is a ram issue? My Specs:
ATI Radeon graphics card, 512mb of ram, and 3.0 ghz processor.

Big games (quake, doom, tuxracer, etc) all ran very slowly, though the smaller ones seemed all right. Also, noticed that when I set games to fullscreen mode, when I exited from them, I would be dumped at the command line, having to restart X. Cheers.

MU

#23 Post by MU »

dinky,
it should run quite fast on your machine.
I have a pentium 700 with 1 gig Ram, and a Ati Radeon 9250.
On the screenshot you can see by looking at Conky, that it has just low neeed of Ram, so 512 MB should be fine.

You could try this libGL.so:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28031

For your Ati-card, you also might have more success with propriatary Ati-drivers.

For newer Ati-cards:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=23995

For older ones (Radeon 7000 to 9250):
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29280

Mark
Last edited by MU on Sat 24 May 2008, 13:06, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

dinky

#24 Post by dinky »

Thanks Mark, will try this again soon! Incidentally, have you tried the Mupen64 project? Nintendo 64 emulator, very easy to run. Have been having lots of fun with it of late.
~dinky

shadow

hey

#25 Post by shadow »

I download puppy linux awhile back and followed the people in chats instruction how to save it to hard drive and it didnt work but hey imma give this a go anyway. I do have 1 question though. How do i get skulltag to work on this? Thats my main thing i want. Someone plz pm me with answer or something. Thanks in advance!

shadow

hi

#26 Post by shadow »

How do i download this btw? :D

MU

#27 Post by MU »

shadow

hi

#28 Post by shadow »

MU how do i get wad files to play?
Like i had zdaemon and skulltag on puppy linux 4.0 and i got it to run but when i clicked on a server the game wouldnt load. I went to my files and clicked on doom 2 wad and it said i didnt have my run action set. I dont know what to do now.

Aitch

#29 Post by Aitch »

Hi Shadow

see muggins last 2 replies to your previous questions

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 5&start=15

maybe MU can help you with what to do with *.wad files?

Aitch

KF6SNJ

#30 Post by KF6SNJ »

Ok, quick question. Would it be possible to run this straight from the CD and simply save system settings in an sfs file? If so, I know I can blacklist that sfs file so my regular puppy install will work flawlessly. I like the looks of it but I don't really want to install it.

SirDuncan

#31 Post by SirDuncan »

KF6SNJ wrote:Would it be possible to run this straight from the CD and simply save system settings in an sfs file?
If you mean ".2fs", then yes. That's how I've been running it, along with the squashfiles (mygame, etc.) copied to the HD so that I can remove the CD.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

shadow

hi

#32 Post by shadow »

I have downloaded the iso file and i burned it to cd
then when i tried to boot it said boot failed press a key to try again
i wasted 3 blank cds so far
What is the problem?
I use nero burner and all other iso files work except this one

KF6SNJ

#33 Post by KF6SNJ »

Can you boot from any other puppy derivatives? If so, try booting into puppy and using burniso2cd. That is burner I used. It worked perfectly.

shadow

hi

#34 Post by shadow »

idk what derivates are or what your talkin bout
i know i have puppy linux4.0 , ubuntu, xubuntu, DSL, Slax, bluedog all on cds
they burned fine from iso file to cd

KF6SNJ

#35 Post by KF6SNJ »

That helps plenty. You have Puppy 4.0 Dingo. Use the burniso2cd program on it under multimedia to burn a copy of Hurt Me Plenty and it should work perfectly. As I have stated before, that is what I use. I even used it to burn my PCLinuxOS and OS2 Warp discs.

shadow

hi

#36 Post by shadow »

yea but i just noticed that the file size is 708mb and my cd is 700mb
i also dont have a dvd burner to burn to dvd

SirDuncan

Re: hi

#37 Post by SirDuncan »

shadow wrote:yea but i just noticed that the file size is 708mb and my cd is 700mb
i also dont have a dvd burner to burn to dvd
Actually it is 708,112 kilobytes. There are 1024 kilobytes in a megabyte (computers work with powers of 2, not 10). 708,112/1024=~692 megabytes. Therefore it will fit on your CD.

Nero is a very powerful program, but it is often more complicated than is necessary for simple tasks. In this case, it is likely that it did not make the disc bootable. The image is bootable by default, but Nero can (and often does) override that if you don't have the burn settings just right.

As KF6SNJ said, the easiest thing is to boot Puppy 4.00 and use Burniso2cd.

Good luck.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

brymway

#38 Post by brymway »

I was wanting to get this working but I haven't yet. I read somewhere that it's based on an alpha release, so does that mean it's not idiot proof yet. If not, then there probably no hope for me yet.

I downloaded the iso, md5sum checked ok. Burned the iso, booted it, saved the file, then booted it up again like the intro said. I chose xvesa, tried to click on one of the doom quake games only to find that the keyboard is not accurate. I chose the USA version during setup. Also even clicking on doom 1 and any of the quakes that I don't have to type anything, it never loads any of the games.

These are the glitches I've run into. Don't know if you've heard any of this before or if you're still developing the release. Just thought I'd mention it.

By the way, the distro "looks" killer! Very sleek. I'm looking forward to this distro as I do enjoy those games you've built around.

MU

#39 Post by MU »

you must choose xorg, not xvesa.
xvesa has no hardware accelleration, required by the games.
xvesa is just a fallback, if xorg does not work. But you miss some features then, like 3D.
Mark

brymway

#40 Post by brymway »

Amazing what Xorg will do. It works fine now, thanks Mark. Still have a problem with the keyboard but I thought I saw another post relating to it. I'll check it out.