No sound on Compaq prosignia 140

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
tempestuous

#21 Post by tempestuous »

I ask you again to NOT quote the entire contents of my earlier posts.
goofeyfoot wrote:Then I looked at the BIOS sound settings. It had TWO 1869 entries. One was PnP 1869 device and the other was just es1869 without the PnP designation. For sheer horror I disabled the first one.
goofeyfoot wrote:There is nothing to change in bios to "normal" because I never changed anything there. There's nothing I changed in bios at any time.
There seems a contradiction.
goofeyfoot wrote:"function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device."
It seems that Puppy does not recognise your audio hardware. So loading the ALSA driver fails, even though the ALSA driver is correct.
I believe you have bios and/or ACPI problems. There are various boot parameters which can possibly fix these. Search the forum.

goofeyfoot

#22 Post by goofeyfoot »

t seems that Puppy does not recognise your audio hardware. So loading the ALSA driver fails, even though the ALSA driver is correct.
I believe you have bios and/or ACPI problems. There are various boot parameters which can possibly fix these. Search the forum.

OK:

I looked on the forum and found people talking about "acpi=off" and some sort of pnp=off. I added acpi=off and pnpbios=off to the boot line in the grub menu list thing.

Then I rebooted.

I tried running alsamixer and the "no device" thing came up.

Then I entered your command with the single "dma" line in it.

I then heard an audible "pop" in the sound system.

Then, all of a sudden for the first time I had sound everywhere.

So I guess your fix was right and I don't know what the acpi and pnp bios things do but they must have done something.

So if this really works, what do I do? Do I put something in that local folder thing?

Also, should I leave these boot options like this?

Thanks again for all your help.

Michael
Thanks again.

Michael

goofeyfoot

#23 Post by goofeyfoot »

Tempestuous:

Yes the ACPI off and pnpbios off did the trick. I figured out how you shut those two things off. Then I put your second command, the one with the single DMA variable on that "local" file.

I don't know what happened but the sound works great now. I have been running the sound for a week now and it is still rock solid.

So hopefully someone else will get something out of this exercise.

Thanks again for your patience and help.

Best regards.

Michael