Hurt Me Plenty 01

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jukingeo

#41 Post by jukingeo »

I own both full versions of Doom and Quake II. Is it possible to configure them into a build of Hurt Me Plenty so I have access to ALL the levels and not just the shareware levels?

Outside of first person shooter games, could this version of Puppy also do games like Neverwinter Nights?

Thanx,

Geo

MU

#42 Post by MU »

to play the full versions, you must replace the shareware gamefiles with the full versions.
To avoid to waste space in your msy_save.2fs, you should delete them, and then create symlinks to the existing ones somewhere on your drives.

Doom:
delete
/usr/local/wads/doom1.wad

Create a symlink to your full-version .wad.

If it is located on /mnt/sda2/doom/doom1.wad, then type:

cd /usr/local/wads/
rm doom1.wad
ln -s /mnt/sda2/doom/doom1.wad doom1.wad

The same with doom2.wad for doom2.

---------------
Quake2:

cd /usr/local/quake2files/baseq2
rm pak0.pak
ln -s /mnt/sda2/quake2/baseq2/pak0.pak pak0.pak

---------------
explanation:
cd changes the current directory.
rm (RM in small letters) deletes a file.
ln (LN in small letters) creates a symbolic link to a file.

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

MU

#43 Post by MU »

concerning other games:

it includes:
-dri drivers
-openGL
-libSDL

These are the basic requirements for all huge games.
Some might need more.
Some games depend on "libboost".
The easiest might be, to use dotpups/pets posted in the forum.

They usually include required additional libraries.
Just do not install the 3 mentioned above again.

If there is no dotpup, try the installer provided by the game.
Often you must type something like:

cd /where_you_downloaded
bash run_installer.sh

For example:
cd /mnt/sda2/games/panzer
bash install_panzer.sh

It then will tell you, if something misses.
You could post these messages then, so that we have a look.

Other games must just be extracted, if they come as .tar.gz.
If I remember well, this is the case with nexuiz.

So you would type something like:

cd /mnt/sda2/games/nexuiz
tar -xzvf nexuiz-2.0.tar.gz
cd nexuiz-2.0
./nexuiz-glx

These are just examples from my memory, of course you must use valid file/foldernames.

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

jukingeo

#44 Post by jukingeo »

MU wrote:to play the full versions, you must replace the shareware gamefiles with the full versions.
To avoid to waste space in your msy_save.2fs, you should delete them, and then create symlinks to the existing ones somewhere on your drives.

Doom:
delete
/usr/local/wads/doom1.wad

Create a symlink to your full-version .wad.

If it is located on /mnt/sda2/doom/doom1.wad, then type:

cd /usr/local/wads/
rm doom1.wad
ln -s /mnt/sda2/doom/doom1.wad doom1.wad

The same with doom2.wad for doom2.

---------------
Quake2:

cd /usr/local/quake2files/baseq2
rm pak0.pak
ln -s /mnt/sda2/quake2/baseq2/pak0.pak pak0.pak

---------------
explanation:
cd changes the current directory.
rm (RM in small letters) deletes a file.
ln (LN in small letters) creates a symbolic link to a file.

Mark
Ok, I understand the first part and I recognize the files you mentioned, but what's a symlink and what does it do?

MU

#45 Post by MU »

a symlink is a reference to a file, that is physically stored somewhere else.

For example:
your savefile has just 50 Mb of free space left.
But pak0.pak is 170 MB.
So you cannot copy it in your savefile.
But you have it located already on your Windows C-drive, because you played Quake2 in Windows before.
Now by creating the symlink, then Puppys Quake will use the pak0.pak on your Windows-drive.

Mark

reborn

#46 Post by reborn »

If the games start, but you don't get the nvidia-dialog, please click on:
/usr/local/install-nvidia-m008/install-nvidia
Similar problem here, no nvidia dialog or nvidia splash screen when loading, There is an Nvidia X Server Settings in the System menu - but it doesn't do anything (just a few selection boxes). I tried clicking on 'install-nvidia' in rox but that didn't do anything either.

Descent - that ran in a 3" x 2" box, a little lost on my 20" widescreen.

Quake ran in slow motion - I died quickly!

Doomsday - I just got a graphically garbled screen (ctr-alt-bs to get out)

Tuxracer played fine but exited to # (xwin to get back)

Others were ok.

The only other problem I'm encountering, which I'm sure I've read about before, is after closing an app clicking on the menu icon reopens that app.

My system is: Intel Core 2 Quad 9450, OCZ DDR2 Reaper 4gb ram, Asus Rampage Formula Mobo, Asus N8800GT Extreme Gforce graphics card with 1gb DDR3 ram (Overkill I know!)

The files are all on a pristine (ntfs) hard drive, and booting up from cd.

Any help you can give to get them running would be appreciated as I love the layout and the concept, and would like to build on it for Games as I do with Muppy for everything else! Which I thank you for.

reborn

MU

#47 Post by MU »

we currently discuss the future of a new release here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 834#296834
Mark

Trip[ABK]

#48 Post by Trip[ABK] »

ok im utterly pissed

runs off live cd sure fine w/e

but i dont want it to

i want it to run off the HD!!!!! gRRR :evil:

but nooooooooo it wont, the grub0.97 or however the os was made

grub dont load the kernel...cant find it...basically gives u a big fuck u

sure i read the manual on it and attempted to load the kernel... all i get is the old basic error 2: bad file or no such directory.

i've never had an issue wit pup bootin form hd

now this OS is fakn awesome cuz it has games already compiled and for a n00b like me that is awesome.

Now i did join irc ofc and try to get help, even had my friend running this os on vmware, tried for hours to get this shit to boot from the HD

so....

mr creator guy how bout some tips hurr pimpin.

thx. n advance

also on another note

i attempted to use the grub from 4.7.6 and it gives u a loading kernel......panic loading kernel... gotta type reboot... so... in theory then if u did the the sissy frugal install and then a full install of another pup... it would still refuse to boot the kernel???

edit:
my friend can boot it straight from his 300 some gig external usb drive...but it doesnt require him to install grub

i dunno if i typed this above..

but i strongly belive all i need is the correct command and file path to be able to load the kernel.

MU

#49 Post by MU »

see my last message before yours.
It describes, how you can use the games in Newyearspup Midi.
Newyearspup was tested and optimized over a longer period than the Muppy, that was used to create hurtmeplenty.

So newyearspup should install fine to your harddisk.
Then add the mgamesa_083.sfs from hurtmeplenty in newyearspups bootmanager (you just must rename it to mgamesa_411.sfs).

Mark

Trip[ABK]

#50 Post by Trip[ABK] »

ight mang im a try it...downloadin now. Me n my friend been messin around with a lot of pup distros. I like the small ones cuz my pc runns better but i made a 2.38 gig swap drive from another shit hd i have loooool it only uses like 100mb of it but fak it, its there for it if it needs it. I do like this hurtmeplenty though, like how its set up. I realize these distros are only big cuz of the games. But, if tthis newyears pup runs better coo. But hurtmeplenty just sounds cooler. And u aint answer meh question pimpin ...in grub u must type kernel FILEofkernal device..... or does this one just not boot from the hD? but ok i be formattin again soon as download done for the 100000th time lool. let ya know how it goes.

Trip[ABK]

#51 Post by Trip[ABK] »

ok as far as bootin the kernel i found out wut u would type...aint attempted that yet. ( kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=dev/hda1 ro vga=normal )

I did however mange to get it to boot from the HD. but then no games woud work i manually put the game file n shit in, nodda. And my nic works via the live cd, but magically doesnt from the hd, tried ndiswrap, nuffin.

Tried that newyears shit, installed it to the hd, it locks up when it tries to fakn load the usb...are u serious...i got a usb mouse..nuffin...plugged in a pice shit pce mouse...nuffin. my friend tryin it in vm ware now

ooo

and wut is with u and this damn analog clock....pointless as there is a clock in the corner.... bout to say fu n ur os's and go to one that works properlly, like everyother one i've tried. I just want these damn games son workin off my hd and not the cd, as they would run a wholle lot better.

but i'll try try again, untill i say fuck it and go back to 4.0 or somen.

o and the screensaver on newyears...1 min timer....now on a shit pc...during install...seriously that rapes ur cpu....5-10min timer woulda been common sense there bub.

Trip[ABK]

#52 Post by Trip[ABK] »

yup fuck it, tried again, tired da bullshit

went back to dingo 4.0 first one i've tried and the best so far. I just go get dos box ftw :twisted:

Trip[ABK]

#53 Post by Trip[ABK] »

ite so..not so mad now
why? cuz i just PIMPED da shit out my puppy 4.0 dingo...with EAZE! :twisted:

i got quake/doom.ds2/abes/dukenukem n some other games/ firefox/opera/new jwmtheme and gtk and ofc a wall paper, new icons,

!pwned the shit out hurtnobody :P

but nice try. :roll:

o and ofc i aint do it myself...well...i did...but a lot of help diggin through these forums and reading so i do appreciate this place 8)