Puppy 1.0.6 multisession RC.1 bugs

Please post any bugs you have found
Fox7777

Puppy 1.0.6 multisession RC.1 bugs

#1 Post by Fox7777 »

1. Saved CD won't boot on HP ZE2113US laptop.

2. Saved CD will boot on standard desktop computer but there are many error messages when saving. iso must be burned as multisession (Advanced - Start multisession CD in K3B). Changes to rox files are not saved.

3. Having this CD work flawlessly when using it on different computers is very important.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Puppy 1.0.6 multisession RC.1 bugs

#2 Post by BarryK »

Fox7777 wrote:Changes to rox files are not saved.
Can you elaborate?

Fox7777

#3 Post by Fox7777 »

Any changes to rox files such as new directories, file additions, etc. do not get saved. Desktop changes do get saved. Except for the laptop, we can move the 1.0.6 RC.1 multisession CD to various computers & use it.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

Fox7777 wrote:Any changes to rox files such as new directories, file additions, etc. do not get saved.
Give me an exact example.
I presume that you mean you are using Rox to create a directory or file somewhere. Like for example /root/my-documents/newfile
...that should get saved.

Fox7777

#5 Post by Fox7777 »

Hi Barry:

I see why you are asking. Actually it is just directories in / such as /home/joel/documents or /home/joel/photos that don't get saved. Firefox 1.5 & Thunderbird in /root were saved, bookmarks were saved, etc.

FWIW Chubby Puppy has been very popular here for Windows/Mac users that want an easy entry into Linux. Anything that can make it easier for them to get started is a plus.

Pizzasgood

#6 Post by Pizzasgood »

That's because the only directory Puppy does save is /root. /etc is actually a symlink to /root/.etc, and /usr is combined with /root/.usr to allow changes. Everything else is replaced with every boot. The only way around this is an option 2 harddrive install. If you really need it, you could make /root/.home then have a line in your /etc/rc.d/rc.local script that symlinks it to /home.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]